Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
I'm guessing you guys don't use external monitors? I'm curious how texts will look like due to how the MacOS handles scaling.
Okay. First of all, you can't use two monitors with Macbook Airs. Even if you close the screen. You need Macbook Pros for that. I think the newest MBA M3 also allows two monitors if you close the screen.

Now, there are some ways around that with certain docks and the like, but I always just use one 4k monitor with the MBA's screen as the second, so I haven't had to look into this.

As far as how Mac handles scaling, it's both better than windows and worse. First, it renders everything at 4k, for instance, and then downsamples it to 1080p or 1440p or whatever you choose. This means no tiny text when installing programs, and everything renders very sharp.

However, it sucks with less than 4k resolution--and it does take some getting used to.

Good luck.

Reactions: jchap and lsquare

lsquare

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Okay. First of all, you can't use two monitors with Macbook Airs. Even if you close the screen. You need Macbook Pros for that. I think the newest MBA M3 also allows two monitors if you close the screen.

Now, there are some ways around that with certain docks and the like, but I always just use one 4k monitor with the MBA's screen as the second, so I haven't had to look into this.

As far as how Mac handles scaling, it's both better than windows and worse. First, it renders everything at 4k, for instance, and then downsamples it to 1080p or 1440p or whatever you choose. This means no tiny text when installing programs, and everything renders very sharp.

However, it sucks with less than 4k resolution--and it does take some getting used to.

Good luck.
Oh? So MacOS renders everything at 4K? Why does it do that? Since 4K divides perfectly into 1080p, wouldn't this look really good on a 1080p monitor? I could see 1440p being a bad option as it doesn't divide perfectly with 4K.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Oh? So MacOS renders everything at 4K? Why does it do that? Since 4K divides perfectly into 1080p, wouldn't this look really good on a 1080p monitor? I could see 1440p being a bad option as it doesn't divide perfectly with 4K.
It does if the native resolution of the monitor is 4k, like in my case. If you have a 1440p monitor, it renders at that. (Which looks fuzzy.)

1440 on 4k It isn't quite as sharp as 1080p on 4k, for the reason you describe, but it is still really great and what I use.

Reactions: Sikh and lsquare

lsquare

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
It does if the native resolution of the monitor is 4k, like in my case. If you have a 1440p monitor, it renders at that. (Which looks fuzzy.)

1440 on 4k It isn't quite as sharp as 1080p on 4k, for the reason you describe, but it is still really great and what I use.
The part that I'm confused about is why would it downsample if the monitor's native resolution is 4K?

lsquare

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Only if you choose a resolution lower than 4k. However, unless your monitor is 32 inches or more, 4k native will be super tiny.
I'm guessing it'll look perfect on a 32" 4K? Not too small?

What about a 29" ultra-wide 2560x1080?

jchap

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
I'm guessing it'll look perfect on a 32" 4K? Not too small?

What about a 29" ultra-wide 2560x1080?
I have an LG Ultrawide at that resolution, and am driving it from either a 2019 MacBook Pro or a 2023 MacBook Air. The aspect ratio and resolution look fine to me, although the bitmapping or pixelation can be noticeable when you zoom content, for instance. Text display isn't always as crisp as one would like (especially compared to the MacBook Pro display), but I've used this monitor for several years with my Macs and it's quite handy as an external display for throwing reference documents up and so forth.

Reactions: lsquare

lsquare

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
I have an LG Ultrawide at that resolution, and am driving it from either a 2019 MacBook Pro or a 2023 MacBook Air. The aspect ratio and resolution look fine to me, although the bitmapping or pixelation can be noticeable when you zoom content, for instance. Text display isn't always as crisp as one would like (especially compared to the MacBook Pro display), but I've used this monitor for several years with my Macs and it's quite handy as an external display for throwing reference documents up and so forth.
Are you able to take a picture showing what it'll be like? I thought the image would be very sharp since it scales up to 4K and then down to 1080p.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Are you able to take a picture showing what it'll be like? I thought the image would be very sharp since it scales up to 4K and then down to 1080p.
Okay, this is very simple. I evidently got you off on the wrong tangent with the 4k.

What MacOS does is detect the native resolution of your monitor. It uses that as a starting point, and potentially an endpoint.

For example, a 1920 x 1080 monitor will NOT get 4k and then downsample. It will START at 1920 x 1080 and STAY there. And be very blurry as a result. Now let's say you change the resolution. You can do that and it will start at 1920 x 1080 and then downsample to 1280 x 720 (if thats what you chose instead). It will still suck and be blurry.

Okay, now take a 4k monitor (3840 x 2160). It will default to a perfect doubling down to 1920 x 1080. This will look iPhone sharp. It will look fantastic BUT HUGE depending on the physical size of the screen. If you have a 24" 4k monitor, it will look great! 27" it will look huge. 32", really HUGE.

So here is where 1440p on a 4k monitor comes in. It starts at 4k and downsamples to 1.5 pixels (essentially) to 1440p. I am very picky about sharpness and this still LOOKS FANTASTIC at 27" and 32". BUT YOU NEED TO START WITH A 4k MONITOR!

So, a 29" ultrawide at 2560 x 1080 would look absolutely awful to me! I wouldn't use it at all. But I am very picky. THE IMAGE WILL NOT BE SHARP AT ALL. It will detect the native resolution of 2560 x 1080 and end with a max resolution of 2560 x 1080. IT WILL BE BLURRY. NO 4k at all with this monitor.

jchap

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
Here some photos of a text-based web page, one on the MacBook Air M1 2020, the other on an LG ULTRAWIDE at 2560 x 1080 px, powered by the same MacBook Air M1 2020 via USB-C to HDMI.

MacBook Air M1 2020

MacBook Air M1-text-example.jpeg

LG ULTRAWIDE @ 2560 x 1080

LG-ULTRAWIDE-text-example.jpg

To be fair, the image of the LG ULTRAWIDE actually looks better than this in person, as you won't see the moire effect of the display that's present in the photo. I sit back from the screen at about a 70–80 cm distance, so the text doesn't appear especially blurry to me, although if you are very picky you may notice some jaggies. I'm not sure if I would use it for graphic design, but for general browsing, office work, document reference and even the occasional video watching it is acceptable, at least for me.

lsquare

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Here some photos of a text-based web page, one on the MacBook Air M1 2020, the other on an LG ULTRAWIDE at 2560 x 1080 px, powered by the same MacBook Air M1 2020 via USB-C to HDMI.

MacBook Air M1 2020

View attachment 2394693

To be fair, the image of the LG ULTRAWIDE actually looks better than this in person, as you won't see the moire effect of the display that's present in the photo. I sit back from the screen at about a 70–80 cm distance, so the text doesn't appear especially blurry to me, although if you are very picky you may notice some jaggies. I'm not sure if I would use it for graphic design, but for general browsing, office work, document reference and even the occasional video watching it is acceptable, at least for me.
You guys have been fantastic. My understanding have improved dramatically. Here's the part that still doesn't make sense to me. If MacOS uses the native resolution of the monitor, why would it be blurry compared to using a 4K monitor? That's the part that makes no sense to me. Why would Windows look better on the 29" monitor? What is it about MacOS that renders text worse than Windows at lower resolution?

Thank you!

Reactions: jchap

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
You guys have been fantastic. My understanding have improved dramatically. Here's the part that still doesn't make sense to me. If MacOS uses the native resolution of the monitor, why would it be blurry compared to using a 4K monitor? That's the part that makes no sense to me. Why would Windows look better on the 29" monitor? What is it about MacOS that renders text worse than Windows at lower resolution?

Thank you!
It has to do with the way both operating systems handle subpixel rendering. MacOS does better with HiDPI screens and Windows makes the font lettering fit the exact pixel structure.

Read more here: https://github.com/waydabber/BetterDisplay/wiki/MacOS-scaling,-HiDPI,-LoDPI-explanation

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011

MacBook Air M1 2020

View attachment 2394693

View attachment 2394704

Yeah you can really see it in the line that starts with ”change, the gradual…” For some people, this is fine. For me, it is not. It is very distracting.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
One more thing worth mentioning. Apologies if someone got it already. The Mx chips use shared system/video RAM, so if you're driving an external monitor there will be some impact on memory usage.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Look, @lsquare, at this point, you have the monitors, you have the Mac, just try it out and see what you think. Go from there. :) You may decide that it is too much work, and not bother to switch from Windows.

I have to do this with my wife at some point (we are not happy with how MS is handling user privacy and AI) and I am dreading her transition. Ah well. Maybe MS will get its act together before I have to upgrade her.

Alameda

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2012
I'm a little worried that it won't be reliable. I never got Touch ID to work reliably for me when it was on the iPhone. I ended up using the passcode instead.
TouchID never gives me trouble. But you can always enter password instead, and it requires a password every once in a while anyway, and on reboots.

Reactions: lsquare

lsquare

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
TouchID never gives me trouble. But you can always enter password instead, and it requires a password every once in a while anyway, and on reboots.
Doesn't it say a lot when Apple doesn't trust Touch ID to be the only option? Instead, a password is always the last resort.

• Haha
Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Doesn't it say a lot when Apple doesn't trust Touch ID to be the only option? Instead, a password is always the last resort.
What if you injure the finger you use for Touch ID, and it's bandaged? You need an alternative way of getting in to your computer.

Now, does it need to ask for your password after every reboot? Probably not. But I agree with the previous poster that it's a good way to prevent you from forgetting your password.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.