Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yabeweb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2021
I know it is to be expected from betas, well aware of it, but I installed beta 1 since the minute it came out with very little bugs, today I get some random freeze and shutting down the iPad I have hard time getting it back on.

happened twice today, seems weird as for a week it was working as expected, anyone else having similar experience?

iPad M4 11

yabeweb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2021
Random constant freeze and reboot today, it’s getting wierder today…

yabeweb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2021
I’ve had this start happening today after a week of pretty good stability. Doesn’t last more than 20 mins or so without rebooting.
I had to reattore v17 as it was unusable, worked great for the first days..

ESpen36

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2008
Same situation for me. It was working perfectly for several days, but last night it started behaving oddly. About 20 minutes and then it would freeze and restart, over and over. Hopefully it fixes itself.

If it doesn't fix itself, how can I restore to iPadOS17? Is there a way to restore to a previous iCloud backup, instead of the most recent one? Or do I just to into settings and swap it back from OS18 Dev Beta to OS17 Public beta? Sorry for the newbie questions!

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Same situation for me. It was working perfectly for several days, but last night it started behaving oddly. About 20 minutes and then it would freeze and restart, over and over. Hopefully it fixes itself.

If it doesn't fix itself, how can I restore to iPadOS17? Is there a way to restore to a previous iCloud backup, instead of the most recent one? Or do I just to into settings and swap it back from OS18 Dev Beta to OS17 Public beta? Sorry for the newbie questions!
You'd need to put your iPad in DFU or Recovery Mode and restore iPadOS 17. This will also wipe all your data off the iPad.

To restore a backup, you can only restore one that was created using iPadOS 17. You won't be able to restore one that was made using iPadOS 18. If you don't have an old backup in iCloud anymore and didn't create a local backup, then you're out of luck.

ESpen36

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2008
You'd need to put your iPad in DFU or Recovery Mode and restore iPadOS 17. This will also wipe all your data off the iPad.

To restore a backup, you can only restore one that was created using iPadOS 17. You won't be able to restore one that was made using iPadOS 18. If you don't have an old backup in iCloud anymore and didn't create a local backup, then you're out of luck.

Thank you! That sounds annoying....not wanting to reset it as a new iPad. I guess I will just wait for the next beta version to come out, which hopefully will fix this problem. Or, maybe the rebooting will stop on its own. (I just hope it will be able to download the new version without freezing/rebooting during the install process, which would totally brick the device, correct?)

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Thank you! That sounds annoying....not wanting to reset it as a new iPad. I guess I will just wait for the next beta version to come out, which hopefully will fix this problem. Or, maybe the rebooting will stop on its own. (I just hope it will be able to download the new version without freezing/rebooting during the install process, which would totally brick the device, correct?)
It's pretty uncommon to totally brick Apple devices. If something were to go wrong, you'd most likely need to put it in DFU mode to reinstall and restore a backup.

Hyuga

macrumors regular
May 16, 2006
Helsinki or Barcelona
Leak has gotten to the point that you (unlikely) wont have time to download B2, you will likely have time to reset device under settings without going to DFU mode and then update to newest build.

I think it’s about time for people who installed beta when it came out to get to crash loop. Thank god today’s build _should_ fix it.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I haven't had it reboot, but have had a couple of apps randomly crash. The most annoying thing to me is when using an external Bluetooth mouse, it is horribly laggy at times, to the point of being unusable. Hopefully the release coming out today starts stabilizing things.

matthewadams

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
Same here. Ran into this today. Everything started to lag, ultimately it froze and rebooted itself.
I did find out it’s using an enormous amount of System Data (Settings - General - iPad Storage) - close to filling up all storage.

Reactions: bheathain

bheathain

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2015
Same here. Ran into this today. Everything started to lag, ultimately it froze and rebooted itself.
I did find out it’s using an enormous amount of System Data (Settings - General - iPad Storage) - close to filling up all storage.
I had this same issue. Close to 30 GB of "system data", and causing plenty of issues.

matthewadams

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
It was just too annoying so I downgraded to iOS 17 for now. System Data is back down to a healthy 6GB. I might give the public beta another shot later on, but with most of the features missing in the EU I’m not really missing out on that much this year 😅😭

Fraitor

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2013
Last night, my iPad reboot itself several times, without unlock it.
I was waiting for read comments, but I think it's better to restore iPadOS 17...

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
Same here. Seems like it might be an issue with Systems Data memory store. Systems Data seems to be eating all the open iPad storage space, which might explain the crashes if the cache runs out of room. Numerous reports of this on Reddit too.

Attachments

• IMG_1098.jpeg
    IMG_1098.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Fraitor

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2013
My iPad Pro was dead. No buttons, no seem to charge, no matter any combination of keys, I connected it to the mac, to the pc,... nothing.
After many attempts, it lit up and began to re-establish itself. I put it as new, without a copy or anything.
IT'S PERFECT. It is not slow, I do not see any bugs. Some apps are not compatible and crash (Chrome) but otherwise... Perfect

paul117

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2012
getting the same issue on my iPad Pro M2,
System Data Usage on my iPad is sitting around 95GB and even restarting my ipad or turning it off doesnt seem to bring that down.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
getting the same issue on my iPad Pro M2,
System Data Usage on my iPad is sitting around 95GB and even restarting my ipad or turning it off doesnt seem to bring that down.
I had 132GB of storage used by System Data and after restarting that dropped to 85GB. Still way to high but at least it went down a bit.

paul117

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2012
I had 132GB of storage used by System Data and after restarting that dropped to 85GB. Still way to high but at least it went down a bit.
after one of the crashes i connected my ipad to my pc and opened 3utools and looked at the crash log it seems to point to cpu having trouble connecting to peripherals, i also have noticed the the 95GB usage on system data on my ipad climbs until the ipad crashes and restarts which makes me think maybe there is a memory leak and the ipad is using swap which i imagine would show up as "System Data" in the iPad storage in general.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
after one of the crashes i connected my ipad to my pc and opened 3utools and looked at the crash log it seems to point to cpu having trouble connecting to peripherals, i also have noticed the the 95GB usage on system data on my ipad climbs until the ipad crashes and restarts which makes me think maybe there is a memory leak and the ipad is using swap which i imagine would show up as "System Data" in the iPad storage in general.
Shortly after I posted about the reboot freeing up space, it rapidly grew again. Some serious leak somewhere.

sergeyu

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2024
For me it just started with the Beta 2. IPad Pro become unresponsive for a couple minutes and no buttons are working , including the power button. Will investigate

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
For me it just started with the Beta 2. IPad Pro become unresponsive for a couple minutes and no buttons are working , including the power button. Will investigate
I have the same issues after upgrading to beta 2.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
Shortly after I posted about the reboot freeing up space, it rapidly grew again. Some serious leak somewhere.
Yes, exactly what I saw as well. Reboot would temporarily lower it, then it started climbing and uses up all but a few GB of my 128 GB storage space. Reported this exact behavior to Apple via the submit. Hoping for another beta release early this week that addresses this.

paul117

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2012
for me it started just before beta 2 released but it got worse on beta 2, memory usage is at 99% so its definitly a memory leak (atleast in my case) memory usage hits 99% and the swap kicks in and the usage climbs until it cant got further and then the OS Panics. only thing i do notice is that if the ipad has rebooted and i have not yet unlocked it then it doesnt reboot itself, only once i unlock for the first time after reboot does issues start.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.