Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skaga

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2023
This is just plain dumb. Why fix something that isn't broken. Any idea as to whether this feature is being considered to be put back at a later date [i.e., may be this is still a bug that they are not able to get past on this latest iteration] or are we just done with this feature ever being available ever again.

Reactions: decypher44 and W£S

W£S

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2021
This is just plain dumb. Why fix something that isn't broken. Any idea as to whether this feature is being considered to be put back at a later date [i.e., may be this is still a bug that they are not able to get past on this latest iteration] or are we just done with this feature ever being available ever again.
I feel the same way too. But I think it is a decision by Apple. Maybe some company threatened to sue them for copying this feature?

We will never know.

And no reviewers are covering this. When a good feature was introduced, every reviewer goes in to say good things. When a good feature is removed, every reviewer keeps quiet.

Maybe they are worried they will not be invited for the launch event next year🥲

collin_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2018
I miss this. It was very precise and smooth. Made it feel like every video you were scrubbing through was saved locally.

Reactions: W£S

noel18

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2021
This was one of my favorite features in iOS 16. One that impacted daily life almost more than any other feature in iOS 16. Now they removed it?!?! This has been driving me insane. It’s very awkward to hold the phone in one hand and scrub video. You have this tiny little bar at the bottom of the screen that you have to hit now. Something tells me this is a legal issue like someone had a patented on the iOS 16 style scrubber so Apple had to pull it out in 17.

It took me forever to find the right search terms to even find this post. Why isn’t this stupid change plastered all over every major blog, news site and social media. Did people just not notice the improvements in 16 and were still scrubbing directly on the progress bar so they didn’t even know what they were missing?

This is nuts!

W£S

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2021
This was one of my favorite features in iOS 16. One that impacted daily life almost more than any other feature in iOS 16. Now they removed it?!?! This has been driving me insane. It’s very awkward to hold the phone in one hand and scrub video. You have this tiny little bar at the bottom of the screen that you have to hit now. Something tells me this is a legal issue like someone had a patented on the iOS 16 style scrubber so Apple had to pull it out in 17.

It took me forever to find the right search terms to even find this post. Why isn’t this stupid change plastered all over every major blog, news site and social media. Did people just not notice the improvements in 16 and were still scrubbing directly on the progress bar so they didn’t even know what they were missing?

This is nuts!
I share your misery. Somehow apple thinks that we prefer to move the entire video left or right instead of scrubbing 🥲

Stupid implementation and I too wonder why no one is talking about it.

hieubui

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2017
I miss this. It was very precise and smooth. Made it feel like every video you were scrubbing through was saved locally.
I was anything but precise. You could scrub anywhere on the screen which was good but the damn thing had inertia for god sake, once you've lifted your finger, the video never stayed where you wanted.
The best implementation was iOS15 when you grab the seeker, slide up/down to adjust the rate.

W£S

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2021
I was anything but precise. You could scrub anywhere on the screen which was good but the damn thing had inertia for god sake, once you've lifted your finger, the video never stayed where you wanted.
The best implementation was iOS15 when you grab the seeker, slide up/down to adjust the rate.
I found it very precise too. Not sure why you feel otherwise. Never had any issue getting to the exact spot

Maybe it takes getting used to

Reactions: decypher44

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
It's the same as swiping with the trackpad on macOS videos files and we have this for like a decade or even more. I don't care if it wasn't precise, the main goal of this feature is being able to rewind or fast forward quick and easy anytime you want and for some longer videos, this feature is more useful than pointing/swapping the time bar itself.

It makes no sense to remove this feature on iOS when we have this on macOS for years.

hieubui

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2017
It's the same as swiping with the trackpad on macOS videos files and we have this for like a decade or even more. I don't care if it wasn't precise, the main goal of this feature is being able to rewind or fast forward quick and easy anytime you want and for some longer videos, this feature is more useful than pointing/swapping the time bar itself.

It makes no sense to remove this feature on iOS when we have this on macOS for years.

True, I wasn't trying to justify the decision to remove the feature. Just saying that the implementation was not good (compare to the previous one) to begin with.

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
I found it to be VERY precise, as well as very smooth and simple to do. What they’ve done is take all the good and trashed it.

Like, we really want to move the video left or right of the screen for some insane reason? I don’t get it. Like someone just said, maybe it’s a patent issue. Idk, but if it is, Apple should buy rights to the patent.

Reactions: Malbrute and W£S

Scottiep94

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2015
yeah, I share everyone's frustration--seems silly to take this feature away. For me, I enjoyed some back and forth sliding with my finger to, in effect, do some slow motion--backward and forward.

Is anyone aware of alternative apps that maybe do this?

Reactions: W£S

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I'm 99% sure it's gone on purpose. Earlier today I was watching a family member try to pinch zoom in on a video and they were accidentally scrubbing with this feature instead. It's just not user friendly for basic users. Not everyone is an enthusiast that knows all the secret gestures, which is normally fine, until it gets in the way of basic use or accessibility.

Apple could add an option... but you know that's not their style.

I don't think it's a patent issue either otherwise they would've had to remove it in iOS 16 as well.

Reactions: BlueParadox

Tigrman699

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2023
I don’t like the dimming either. Android lets you scrub from video without dimming the display. Does any body know if you can set VLC as default player in iOS to get around the new changes in Safari ? But even worse is that the video controls won’t show up unless you tap the screen which on certain sites causes pop up’s to open. Also when you press the display it now attempts to copy the video which disables the controls. Why would Apple allow the copy feature to activate when watching videos? Makes no sense! Might have to try to downgrade to iOS 16 if this doesn’t get fixed soon !!

Last edited:
Reactions: Malbrute

M67

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2007
Can anyone who installs ios18 confirm if this has been brought back?

M67

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2007
Ah well, thanks for the update -that’s really disappointing, I still think it should be an accessibility option for users who prefer it enabled.

Reactions: BlueParadox

hieubui

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2017
Can anyone who installs ios18 confirm if this has been brought back?
Yes, it's working with haptic feedback and everything but the scrub speed scaling seems to be off, definitely not the same as before

M67

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2007
I'm using it now and I'm sorry to report that it's still absent. I submitted a feedback request again for the second year in a row to plead for them to add it back.
Yes, it's working with haptic feedback and everything but the scrub speed scaling seems to be off, definitely not the same as before
Confused? Who is telling the truth here?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.