Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

W£S

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2021
When surfing on safari on iOS 16, I could scrub thru videos without having to press on the +10 or -10 sec.

Now on iOS 17. I can’t! Can anyone advise whether there are any settings I need to enable?

webs1

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2008
I remember this happening on my phone with the original iOS 16 beta, but that functionality was eventually restored.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Not only that but they also won’t let you swipe thru watch faces.

What’s with Apple needing to remove features and reimplementing them again sometimes advertised as a new feature. 🙄

Reactions: decypher44

W£S

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2021
Not only that but they also won’t let you swipe thru watch faces.

What’s with Apple needing to remove features and reimplementing them again sometimes advertised as a new feature. 🙄
Didn’t know that as I have yet to install the watch beta.

Now I regret installing the iOS 17 beta. Wonder why all the reviewers never picked this up. Only keep talking about the new features but not features that had been removed

W£S

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2021
I absolutely hate it and I hope they switch it back. I keep accidentally taking videos out of full screen and I find it much more cumbersome and imprecise to use the progress bar.
Same here. And you have to tap first before the bar shows, and the screen dims. 😠

• Sad
Reactions: missingar

BlueParadox

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
I just provided feedback. Hopefully the more feedback they received, they more they will undo this “feature”
Unfortunately, scrubbing through videos without having to press on the +10 or -10 is still missing in the latest beta update, beta 7.

I’ve provided feedback via the app each beta update but nothing has changed.

Why introduce a great feature in iOS 16 then remove it a year later?!

W£S

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2021
Unfortunately, scrubbing through videos without having to press on the +10 or -10 is still missing in the latest beta update, beta 7.

I’ve provided feedback via the app each beta update but nothing has changed.

Why introduce a great feature in iOS 16 then remove it a year later?!
You can still scrub. Last time you just tap on the screen and drag left or right. If I recall, the screen doesn’t dim too.

Now…
Step 1: tap on the screen (screen dims)
Step 2: tap on the long bar and hold
Step 3: drag left or right (in the latest beta, when scrubbing, the screen doesn’t dim)
Step 4: release your finger (screen dims again as it goes back to the screen in step 2 and you have to wait for it to fade off)

It is the screen dimming plus the additional steps that makes me upset.

In Ios16, it was super convenient, similar to how apps like infuse does it

BlueParadox

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
You can still scrub. Last time you just tap on the screen and drag left or right. If I recall, the screen doesn’t dim too.

Now…
Step 1: tap on the screen (screen dims)
Step 2: tap on the long bar and hold
Step 3: drag left or right (in the latest beta, when scrubbing, the screen doesn’t dim)
Step 4: release your finger (screen dims again as it goes back to the screen in step 2 and you have to wait for it to fade off)

It is the screen dimming plus the additional steps that makes me upset.

In Ios16, it was super convenient, similar to how apps like infuse does it
No worries, I understand that.

What I’m referring to is the ability to scrub through a video on the screen above the long bar, without touching the long bar at the bottom, which you’ve mentioned. I should have been a bit more specific with what I meant.

I used Infuse for a couple of years and one of the features I really liked about the app was scrubbing forwards or backwards in a video by only needing to move a finger left or right on the video itself. I watch a fair few videos on my iPad and really liked Apple’s inclusion of this feature in iOS 16; now gone in all of the iOS 17 betas.

It‘s a simple feature but I find it quite useful. Hoping for its return soon…

Reactions: W£S

W£S

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2021
No worries, I understand that.

What I’m referring to is the ability to scrub through a video on the screen above the long bar, without touching the long bar at the bottom, which you’ve mentioned. I should have been a bit more specific with what I meant.

I used Infuse for a couple of years and one of the features I really liked about the app was scrubbing forwards or backwards in a video by only needing to move a finger left or right on the video itself. I watch a fair few videos on my iPad and really liked Apple’s inclusion of this feature in iOS 16; now gone in all of the iOS 17 betas.

It‘s a simple feature but I find it quite useful. Hoping for its return soon…
Precisely. I was so glad that they implemented it in Ios16. Now it is gone.

Seriously don’t know what is on their mind

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
I hated this feature, so it’s subjective. This seems prime to let users choose to enable or not.

(If you can’t swipe to change Watch faces, how?)

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Just submitted feedback. I‘m glad I’m not the only one. I thought I was going crazy too lol.

On the other hand while I absolutely loved being able to scrub through videos, I am very happy to hear I won’t be randomly seeing my watch on a different face than I had set. I have had a series 6 since it was new, and only figured out that was a “feature” a few months ago. I am still on watchOS 9, but this might be enough for me to install the RC should it come out today.
However these are both things I think should be able to be switched on or off.

BlueParadox

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
I hated this feature, so it’s subjective. This seems prime to let users choose to enable or not.

(If you can’t swipe to change Watch faces, how?)
I don’t understand disliking this feature, so each to their own, but at least it would’ve been nice to have this optional in the TV app settings.

Disappointingly, still not able to swipe forwards or backwards on the actual video in the latest and last beta update. Most likely this handy feature is gone for good 🙁

Last edited:

M67

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2007
Nooo… I just updated to the RC, I almost wish I hadn’t. I can see why this feature would be polarising but at least give people who used it the option to enable it again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.