Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Maps has finally updated the Look Around footage in New York City. Went from April 2021 to May 2023. I went looking for myself on the highway where I saw the Maps car pass me, but I wasn't there.

Some strangeness in my neck of the woods happened after the iOS 18 betas launched. A number of highway service roads all suddenly had their names changed in multiple incorrect ways. Either Maps suddenly received an infusion of outside source information that took some correct things and made them wrong, or some jackass is going through and submitting false reports for whatever personal reasons they have and Apple accepted some of the changes. Makes no sense why something would be correct for years and then suddenly become wrong.

Disappointed at the lack of exciting news or features for Maps coming out of the WWDC. Can't believe we still haven't gotten significant expansions of Look Around and Detailed City Experience. :-\

Reactions: MozMan68

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Maps has finally updated the Look Around footage in New York City. Went from April 2021 to May 2023. I went looking for myself on the highway where I saw the Maps car pass me, but I wasn't there.

Some strangeness in my neck of the woods happened after the iOS 18 betas launched. A number of highway service roads all suddenly had their names changed in multiple incorrect ways. Either Maps suddenly received an infusion of outside source information that took some correct things and made them wrong, or some jackass is going through and submitting false reports for whatever personal reasons they have and Apple accepted some of the changes. Makes no sense why something would be correct for years and then suddenly become wrong.

Disappointed at the lack of exciting news or features for Maps coming out of the WWDC. Can't believe we still haven't gotten significant expansions of Look Around and Detailed City Experience. :-\
Well…some news is better than none, I guess!

But yeah, I‘m also disappointed by the lack of expansions. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad they’re keeping imagery as current as they can for already released areas, but it’s definitely frustrating to see “*insert city* getting another imagery update” while so many of us are just waiting to have the initial release.

That’s interesting about all of the incorrect changes, too. I wonder what the process is for vetting reports.

Benni14

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2021
Well…some news is better than none, I guess!

But yeah, I‘m also disappointed by the lack of expansions. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad they’re keeping imagery as current as they can for already released areas, but it’s definitely frustrating to see “*insert city* getting another imagery update” while so many of us are just waiting to have the initial release.

That’s interesting about all of the incorrect changes, too. I wonder what the process is for vetting reports.
I find it a pity that Apple has stopped announcing the countries that will receive the new map data and the cities that will get the DCE at the WWDC. It was a good advertisement for Apple Maps and it only took a few minutes. The year 2024 will not be a good vintage for Maps because there will be little expansion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.