Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DVD Plaza

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2008
adelaide.sa.au
I like technology as much as the next guy, but do we really need a smart hair dryer?
Oh come on don't be close minded. Who needs a 3-position speed switch when in the other hand you can hold your phone, swipe to the Home Screen, open the app, and drag a speed control. Imagine the possibilities of being able to remotely turn on the hair dryer while lying in bed. What if you're on the toilet at work and suddenly realised oh darn, I left my hair dryer on its hottest setting - you can turn it back down so next time you use it it's not still on the wrong heat. Most importantly, imagine being able to change the colour of the power LED on the hair dryer. Mate, the future is now!

Reactions: Victor Mortimer

Agent007

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2006
United States
I wonder if this will extend to an AirPods-like seamless switching experience for 3rd party headphones. I'm not holding my breath but it's all that's missing in the Sony WH1000XM5's and a lot of other great non-Apple headphones and earbuds.

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
Now please add LDAC support so I can enjoy higher bitrate with my Sony XM5! Yeah, won’t happen, but wishful thinking
Yep, Apple's approach to Bluetooth is utter insanity. They actually REMOVED some of the higher quality codecs from macOS FFS.

I have Denon Perl Pro's, and had to buy a USB dongle to get higher quality aptX Bluetooth codecs on my MBP.

FYI, the dongle is a Creative BT-W5
- Bluetooth 5.3 (50 m range)
- SBC, aptX, aptX HD, aptX Adaptive (HQ + LL)

I don't think it supports LDAC, nor aptX Lossless, unfortunately, but maybe there are other dongles that do? aptX Adaptive is pretty damn decent though.

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
I actually would really enjoy being able to pair all my wireless headphones this easily. :cool:
Huh, that's weird. My Denon Perl Pro's pair to both my MBP and Pixel phone waaaaay better than my airpods do!!!

The Denon's automatically pair to both devices simultaneously. There's not device switching required. If music is playing on one device, and I play something on the other device, then the music automatically pauses on the first device, and audio through the earbuds simply plays from the second device.

My AirPods couldn't do that when I had my iPhone. I was blown away when I bought these Denon's and realised just how bad Apple's implementation of pairing was in comparison.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
I just switched out my WiFi router and woof that was a pain in the butt. We don't have a smart hair dryer but pretty much everything else for some reason needs to be on our network.
Why didnt you just keep the wifi network settings?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.