Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple shared iOS 18 beta release notes on its developer website last week, and they reveal some smaller changes related to FaceTime, Siri, and the Wallet app.

Generic-iOS-18-Feature-Real-Mock.jpg

iOS 18 is currently in beta for Apple Developer Program members, with a public beta to follow in July. The update should be widely released in September.

FaceTime

Apple says FaceTime will use more data in Low Power Mode on iOS 18 when network conditions are good, for improved video call quality.

Siri

iOS 18 includes a new setting that can "significantly" improve Siri's audio quality in Bluetooth-enabled vehicles that lack CarPlay, according to Apple.

The new option can be found in the Settings app under Siri → Siri Responses → "Respond over Media Source." The description for this setting says that "Siri will respond over A2DP car stereos, which is ideal while listening to media from your phone."

Wallet

As noted by Nicolás Álvarez, the notes indicate that users adding an ID to the Wallet app on the iPhone may now be asked to take a Live Photo instead of, or in addition to, conducting a series of head and facial movements. Apple says the Live Photo will be evaluated by the device to ensure that the real and rightful person is adding the ID.

Apple first announced the ability to add a driver's license or ID to the Wallet app in 2021, but only four U.S. states have rolled out the feature so far, including Arizona, Maryland, Colorado, and Georgia. The feature provides a convenient and contactless way to display proof of identity or age at select airports, businesses, and venues.

Article Link: iOS 18 Beta Notes Reveal More Changes for FaceTime, Siri, and Wallet

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
"Respond over Media Source" is highly welcome! I hate how the car goes into phone call mode whenever I ask Siri for anything.

Would be nice to also have "Always respond on iPhone speaker", keeping bluetooth devices away from Siri entirely. I don't need the whole party to hear Siri's response if I ask it something when playing music over Bluetooth at a gathering, etc.

JCoe13

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2014
Chicago, IL
"Respond over Media Source" is highly welcome! I hate how the car goes into phone call mode whenever I ask Siri for anything.

Would be nice to also have "Always respond on iPhone speaker", keeping bluetooth devices away from Siri entirely. I don't need the whole party to hear Siri's response if I ask it something when playing music over Bluetooth at a gathering, etc.
Looks like that is also an option:

- Respond over Radio
- Respond over Media Source
- Respond over Phone Speakers

tipoo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2017
Huh interesting! It's a wonder they didn't do this the whole time if they could have? Siri sounds very low quality on vehicles that lack carplay even when the music quality is fine. Be glad to have it now though.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Looks like that is also an option:

- Respond over Radio
- Respond over Media Source
- Respond over Phone Speakers
Huh. Does it remember the choice you make per bluetooth device?

Like in my car I'd want it to respond over phone speakers. But with my AirPods I'd want it to respond in the airpods.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015

Also directions. Before I put a CarPlay screen into my car, I'd navigate everywhere just using my phone on a dash mount, paired over bluetooth. It worked great as long as I was listening to audio over the phone -- directions would play right over bluetooth in full quality alongside whatever music/podcast I had on. But if I had the car stereo tuned to FM radio, it would play turn by turn directions through this horrible "phone call" mode, complete with a super loud beep (courtesy of my car) each and every time.

Reactions: LlamaLarry

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Apple first announced the ability to add a driver's license or ID to the Wallet app in 2021, but only four U.S. states have rolled out the feature so far, including Arizona, Maryland, Colorado, and Georgia. The feature provides a convenient and contactless way to display proof of identity or age at select airports, businesses, and venues.
Apparently New York has some form of digital ID rolling out, but it doesn't seem to be integrated at all into Apple Wallet. So, you're using a crusty state-supplied app for it. Bleh.

omiks

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2021
Man, I wish Apple's digital ID would be adopted by more states. I would love to see it in Florida, but I doubt it would happen with the current administration.

Same! My friends in Brazil don't carry a wallet for anything. The ID is virtual, and anywhere you need a credit card, it is all virtual. Whereas, we have to walk with our driver's license, credit cards for airport lounges (amex plat or whatever... yes, they need the physical card...), and different credit cards for different services, including paying at restaurants. It feels like we are not evolving as fast as we could be in this matter... It's kind of frustrating, to be honest.

kingtj1971

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2021
Alton, IL

Yep! But additionally, I wish Apple would do something with CarPlay to fix the problem where it can be linked up on a car stereo, but you're listening to the radio as your source; a misc. app tries to play audio so it switches to CarPlay as the output device, but doesn't "let go" again. You wind up unable to hear the radio anymore for the rest of your drive, unless you either disconnect/reconnect CarPlay or you navigate through the car stereo's screens to get it to switch to the radio as your source again (usually dropping CarPlay's connection completely in the process).

I get this a lot if I'm listening to the radio but using the GPS w/CarPlay but I'm trying to do DoorDash, so the DoorDash app plays it's "new order incoming" sounds.

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
Apparently New York has some form of digital ID rolling out, but it doesn't seem to be integrated at all into Apple Wallet. So, you're using a crusty state-supplied app for it. Bleh.
I’m happy that NY finally has something. It doesn't really do much at the moment, but there is a program for businesses (and law enforcement?) to start taking advantage of it. Probably won’t see much more about it for years though. It would have also been nice if it was able to tie into Apple Wallet.

• Angry
Reactions: Victor Mortimer

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
Huh. Does it remember the choice you make per bluetooth device?

Like in my car I'd want it to respond over phone speakers. But with my AirPods I'd want it to respond in the airpods.
It's a setting for the vehicle specifically, doesn't apply to AirPods etc (for now at least)

IMG_3046.jpg

jimthing

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2011
Why is ID support not being offered internationally by now?

If most US states want to take forever, that's their problem, but why holdup the rest of the world getting on with it in the meantime? many European countries would probably like to add iOS and Android support as they build out their digital ID and/or passport services.

...I guess that would make too much sense. 🤦

Last edited:
  • Angry

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
We have the crusty state supplied app as well as Apple Wallet here in Arizona. The only thing the Apple Wallet one is useful for is the airport, and the actual DMV office itself. The rest, the “crusty app” actually is better because it shows a replica of your actual ID on your phone, along with the barcode, allowing existing equipment and places to accept it fine.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Why is ID support not being offered internationally by now?

If most US states want to take forever, that's their problem, but why holdup the rest of the world getting on with it in the meantime? many European countries would probably like to as iOS and Android support as they build out their digital ID and/or passport services.

...I guess that would make too much sense. 🤦
Since most of the world’s passports are the same electronic passport standard, including the US, adding passport support would literally instantly light up all 50 states + the whole world with mobile ID. (I will take my $200,000 consultation fee now, Apple!)

Fatyank

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
Chandler, Arizona
I live in AZ. Got my license added to Wallet the first day it came out. Haven’t had occasion to use it yet but it’s nice. It is at the top of my stack of cards in the wallet app and when I open the app I see only the top the top third of my license. Since the AZ license (In Waallet)has a blue/green cactus on it, it looks like the top of Marge Simpsons hair. Yes, Passports would be nice or even the Passport card.

• Angry

Dj64Mk7

Suspended
Sep 15, 2013
Yep! But additionally, I wish Apple would do something with CarPlay to fix the problem where it can be linked up on a car stereo, but you're listening to the radio as your source; a misc. app tries to play audio so it switches to CarPlay as the output device, but doesn't "let go" again. You wind up unable to hear the radio anymore for the rest of your drive, unless you either disconnect/reconnect CarPlay or you navigate through the car stereo's screens to get it to switch to the radio as your source again (usually dropping CarPlay's connection completely in the process).

I get this a lot if I'm listening to the radio but using the GPS w/CarPlay but I'm trying to do DoorDash, so the DoorDash app plays it's "new order incoming" sounds.
Sending a chat to a contact in Snapchat also does this. It’s very, very annoying, since I like to plug my phone into CarPlay (as a passenger), and my dad (as the driver) likes to listen to the news radio.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kingtj1971

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.

I’m not sure that it’s entirely Apple’s fault. When anything like that happens in my Subaru I press the ‘Radio’ button on the dashboard. The radio comes back, then the map is displayed again.

Last edited by a moderator:

MTShipp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Raleigh, North Carolina
There must be something in the details preventing many States in the U.S. from offering your drivers license in Wallet because my State has announced they will be offering digital drivers licenses soon but not with Apple’s Wallet.

• Haha
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.