Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sheapuppy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2020
Chicago IL
Is it possible to upgrade the CPU on an iMac 21.5"? My current CPU is a 7th-generation 3.4GHz i5-7500. Specifically, I'm looking at 8th gen or 9th gen since they're both LGA1151 sockets. That said, with Macs, it usually isn't that simple. Has someone performed this upgrade? If not, what's the next best option for my iMac?

Thanks in advance....JP

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Is it possible to upgrade the CPU on an iMac 21.5"? My current CPU is a 7th-generation 3.4GHz i5-7500. Specifically, I'm looking at 8th gen or 9th gen since they're both LGA1151 sockets. That said, with Macs, it usually isn't that simple. Has someone performed this upgrade? If not, what's the next best option for my iMac?

Thanks in advance....JP

The best CPU upgradable for your iMac is perhaps Core i7-7700. Gen 8th or gen 9th CPUs will not be recognized.
The gain in performance (CPU power) doesn't worth the trouble and risk opening your iMac, IMHO.

elñañaro

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2024
The best CPU upgradable for your iMac is perhaps Core i7-7700. Gen 8th or gen 9th CPUs will not be recognized.
The gain in performance (CPU power) doesn't worth the trouble and risk opening your iMac, IMHO.
Hello, can you tell me if I can put a 1151 v2 processor on a 1151 processor?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.