Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022
I upgrade every 5-6 years. Went from 7 plus to 13 ProMax. Will probably upgrade to iPhone 19 PM.

Clamjuice65

Suspended
Feb 27, 2023
I’ve just upgraded from a 7 Plus - 256gb that I ordered on launch in 2016 to a 15 Pro Max 1TB - got a good price on it with nearly £300 off.

These new phones are crazy good if you’re making a jump from a 6S/7/8.

Pro Motion is so buttery smooth it makes my 7 look like garbage. Also the extra screen real estate is nice too.
I’m need for you to upgrade a little sooner next time ok

• Haha
Reactions: Souponastick270

Adora

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2024
EVERY YEAR. Keep us Apple shareholders happy , do you need to upgrade every year hell no but fools wants the lastest and greatest so be my guest spend the money 😧😧

I will upgrade to the next new iPhone that has a larger screen than the SE and nothing in it that is scanning my whole face including my eyes all the time. A Home Button would also be nice but I also accept Touch ID somewhere else.

If nothing like this will ever happen my next upgrade won't be Apple.

And there is another thing what is really annoying me:

What's the most expensive part in a phone? I think the main camera is one of them. And that's one of the things I very rarely use and I don't even want there to be a front camera. The other one can be the cheapest thing on the market, just for the case I need a quick photo of something that I might delete later anyway.

Why are all Smartphones built around expensive high tech cameras? There have to be more people who just want a phone with a computer in it and use the camera only to make a photo of something as a reminder where quality doesn't matter, instead of writing it down or occasionally scan a document for example. Or even for nothing.

I think the first time I scanned a QR code was this year. Before I didn't even know it can be done just with the camera app. I always thought I need an extra App for that, because I never needed it.

Before Smartphones existed I didn't know anyone with a (digital) camera making photos all the time. Many people hated even to be photographed or filmed.

While writing this I haven't even thought about videos until just now. So my phone's camera also doesn't even have to be able to make videos. I would rather buy a phone without any camera than overpriced cameras that I don't need with a phone built around them. I could even still use my 4s in addition to a new phone without any camera, if I would like to photograph anything. ;)

Reactions: tbgb50

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
When you're no longer happy with your phone...for whatever reason. It's a personal choice only you can make. OR your iPhone gets damaged out of warranty and it makes more sense to buy a new phone. It cost ~£350 to fix a cracked display on a 12/13 Pro Max outside warranty. For that price you can get a reasonable good phone and if you don't mind spending a bit extra on something you'll keep for years then you can get a better phone. You don't NEED to buy a new iPhone or stick with iPhone to justify paying silly repair prices.

I am on a 3-4 year cycle now. There's really no reason to upgrade every 1-2 years anymore. I think if I kept my 12 Pro Max I'd still be happy with it. I'll be keeping my launch day 15 Pro Max until at least 2027 when the iPhone 19 comes out :D If I'm out of warranty and damage my phone I'll probably just grab a Pixel/Samsung if I can't be bothered spending money on a new iPhone.

Last edited:

Marty80

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2015
Melbourne
They say “your phone is ten times dirtier than most toilet seats” if you care for your hygiene, I would say upgrade every year. Sorry I could not resist. :p

Last edited:

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
There is no one answer to this question. Upgrade when you want a new device, when you can afford to, when your current device is on its last legs, a new device is released with some must have features and worthwhile upgrades for you.

I got a 15 Pro Max last month and I’m going to try and hold onto it for the 17 series at least, which looks to be having some proper design changes. I don’t see any compelling reasons to upgrade to the 16 Pro Max this year. The 15 PM is going to get most if not all of the new AI features and will perform well for many many years after I upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.