Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dan98

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
I've two SE1s which have both simultaneously stopped reliably sending notifications across all apps.

I've erased and reinstalled the iOS on both, but it didn't fix it. As it's the latest one possible (15.8.2), no updating is possible.

Is this Apple's deliberate timebomb to kill off it's last 4" model?

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I've two SE1s which have both simultaneously stopped reliably sending notifications across all apps.

I've erased and reinstalled the iOS on both, but it didn't fix it. As it's the latest one possible (15.8.2), no updating is possible.

Same Apple ID, restore from backup?

What if you have an erased vanilla phone without an Apple ID setup. Can you try and send an SMS or something else to see if notifications work?

dan98

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
The Apple ID doesn't seem to make any difference.
Restoring from backup has been less reliable so I always erase and install a fresh phone without restore.

At first an SMS will notify, but after a few days the notifications start appearing less and less.

15.8.2 used to work perfectly, that's why it feels like a deliberate timebomb.

• Haha
Reactions: progx

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
The Apple ID doesn't seem to make any difference.
Restoring from backup has been less reliable so I always erase and install a fresh phone without restore.

At first an SMS will notify, but after a few days the notifications start appearing less and less.

15.8.2 used to work perfectly, that's why it feels like a deliberate timebomb.
Sounds like an odd timebomb to me if that would be the case.
Who knows, there might be a fix around the corner for this if more has this issue.

I do have a SE1 in the drawer but no SIM or Apple ID, and since it does seem to work initially its tricky to recreate.
Maybe someone else with an SE1, Iphone 6SE or iPhone 7 has seen the same type of issue and can help out.

Reactions: dan98

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
I have an iPhone 7 Plus on iOS 15.8 not iOS 15.8.2 although it is just a backup/secondary device...

Is it happening on all apps that you have?

dan98

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Yes, most of the time I can't see any notifications from Gmail, Whatsapp, iMessage etc. unless I go into the app itself.

Reactions: ThomasJL

dan98

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
It would make sense though for them to try and wipe-out the 4" format at this point, from an app developer's POV.

dan98

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
I'm hoping someone using an SE1 on 15.8.2 as their daily phone can confirm/deny notifications still work consistently.
There seems no way to get them working properly on my two phones.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008

I don't think it's deliberate. I just think Tim Cook is so overly concerned with making money, that he ignores bugs in even basic functionality (like notifications). Apple's software has been buggier than ever before during Cook's so-called "leadership."

dan98

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
I don't think it's deliberate. I just think Tim Cook is so overly concerned with making money, that he ignores bugs in even basic functionality (like notifications). Apple's software has been buggier than ever before during Cook's so-called "leadership."
This may well be true. But what’s a bit odd here is 15.8.2 worked perfectly until now.

dan98

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
What do you mean by ‘vintage’ ? They’re the 2016 SE1, designed for iOS 15.8.2

I doubt Apple would be the slightest bit interested tbh but I’d happily be proven wrong.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
I really feel for you.

I would so go back to the SE1 if it wasn’t for work that I need a faster device but the 4 & 5 were the best sized phones imo.

Shame on Apple for forcing upon us no home button devices. And unnecessarily large screens.

dan98

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022
What do you mean by ‘vintage’ ? They’re the 2016 SE1, designed for iOS 15.8.2

I doubt Apple would be the slightest bit interested tbh but I’d happily be proven wrong.
I see- yes it’s listed under 'vintage'.
I'm not clear what kind of support that means Apple will offer.
The phone hardware itself seems to be fine though.
Apple won’t support vintage phones, France gets extra two years. My original iPhone, iPad all turn on just fine. But I don’t get notifications nor updates.

aespana

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2020
I have one. Will install some apps to see if it works.

I noticed that the phone struggle connecting to WIFI. Don't know if just the phone itself or something related to iOS.

What I can say, Google Photos stopped updating the app for iOS 15. You can download the app and see you synced photos but you can upload new ones.

Reactions: dan98

dan98

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Like I say, I didn’t expect anything from Apple-that isn’t what this post is for.

dan98

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Yeah, I checked this.
It’s sporadic - notifications just come through randomly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.