Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeastwood1975

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2009
Dukinfield, Cheshire
It irritates me as, if I’m streaming music to the homepods, the ad takes over the audio and stops (not just pauses) the streaming music. I just close the site and leave it until later to come back.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I think what really bothers me is that it��s a recurring issue. I won’t pretend I understand what it’s like running this website on the back end but it seems like it’s an issue that’s been baked in and can’t be easily fixed. It’s certainly not a good look for MR and I can’t believe admin is ok with it but it keeps happening. I could spend $50 to mitigate it I guess but I’m not that bothered by it I guess.

Augeas

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2006
OMG, I get a damn full screen McDonald’s ad every 15 seconds while scrolling on the main page. Is this the answer to get yearly payment out of Macrumors readers? The only answer I have for this annoying and intrusive ad approach is 9to5mac and deleting Macrumors from my bookmarks.

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
When did MR go from $25 to $50 a year for ad-free?

I feel like for $50 / year !!!! I should be getting better content, better forums, better out of of the MR product than just providing an ad-free experience. That's absurd.
The cost, I'm sure, is based on what they're going to lose from not being able to serve ads to you ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I agree, $50/yr is more than I'm willing to spend too - so I put up with the ads.

Reactions: Chuckeee

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Please try to capture a screenshot of the ad, and if possible the URL it links to. That information lets admins ask the sites advertising agency to remove the ad.

Last edited:

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
So, ummm, this just happened:
Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 11.03.25 AM.png

I did not click anything, I didn't even do anything, and this loaded. Had to hit the back button to get back to MacRumors.

jeastwood1975

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2009
Dukinfield, Cheshire
Today, the previous issue with the page/advert taking over any streaming content (to HomePods for example) started again. Anytime I load the page on iPhone or iPad, while streaming to the HomePods, the sound cuts out, the speakers disconnect and an advertisement *silently* displays. Annoying.

ss2cire

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2008
Earth?
I was going to start a thread about this too. It doesn’t happen often but when it does it’s annoying as hell. Like others have said I get showing ads to help pay bills but gees. This mostly happens on iOS or iPadOS, honestly have never seen it on macOS.
IMG_4990.png
IMG_4989.png

Reactions: rm5

klspahr

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2013
Central PA
So much of what I use the web for I consider entertainment. I don’t really NEED it, my life continues fine (or sometimes better) without it. If a site annoys me, I’m gone.

Sorry, but I use an ad blocker now because the ads are so numerous and so annoying, I have stopped going to many sites because of the ads and I use the web much less now. I feel that I have the right to control what someone puts in my face.

If you have a business model that doesn’t work why does that become my problem?

If you don’t want me to view your site without being a paying subscriber, block me, that is YOUR right and totally fine with me.

Oh I’m sure someone will say I don’t understand the business world…

• Angry
Reactions: The Phazer

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I am getting ads even though I am a paying contributor.
Are you logged into your forums account on that device? That's the usual culprit when contributors are seeing ads...the forum login sets the cookie for the news side to confirm you're a contributor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.