Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Baked a loaf of whitish bread, had some whole wheat. No yeast added, just my starter (sour) and what was picked up from the left over Blue Moon Belgian White that I used for the water. Could have been proofed longer and slower but for some reason I rushed it into the oven. Taste/crumb is very good, a little elastic which makes great toast and sandwich too.

View attachment 2383094
That looks amazing, and I bet that it was absolutely delicious.

Some of the very best bread that I enjoyed in my life was consumed (with greedy delight) nearly 20 years ago somewhere in a side street in an incredible pub in the medieval centre of Bruges, Belgium, - a pub where I had superb beef stew, delicious chips (fries), and superlative bread, - the beer was stunning as well - a place where they sold hundreds of different types of beer, - the beer menu resembled a telephone directory, for those who remember what that was - and where (because, needless to say, I asked) they informed me that they had used beer when baking their bread (a notion that met with my wholehearted approval, but one which I had never heard of, until then).

Last edited:

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Smoked Salmon is always good, we made a spread out of half and we will just eat the rest with sunday eggs or a salad or we can give it to a couple friends who like it too which is the best.

View attachment 2320997
It looks delicious! A salmon that I enjoy eating (I live in Alaska) is wild King or Coho from the Copper River. Smoked King has a lot of oil and is my favorite for smoking, while Coho salmon is quite tasty too, but not as oily. Salmon rates very high in the list of foods for diets to aid having a healthy liver (great food for those suffering from diabetes, too).

About breads: at least in the US probably 99% of the store breads are loaded with sugar, including one of the worst ones, "high fructose corn syrup." This sugar is also found in great amounts is some of the most popular canned tomato soup.

Last edited:

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
It looks delicious! A salmon that I enjoy eating (I live in Alaska) is wild King or Coho from the Copper River. Smoked King has a lot of oil and is my favorite for smoking, while Coho salmon is quite tasty too, but not as oily. Salmon rates very high in the list of foods for diets to aid having a healthy liver (great food for those suffering from diabetes, too).

About breads: at least in the US probably 99% of the store breads are loaded with sugar, including one of the worst ones, "high fructose corn syrup." This sugar is also found in great amounts is some of the most popular canned tomato soup.
Salmon is probably my favorite fish, but wild salmon especially from the Pacific is in rather short supply in Europe. I also agree most bread in North America is bad both from a nutritional and culinary perspective. I re-discovered that visiting my Mom last year in BC.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Salmon is probably my favorite fish, but wild salmon especially from the Pacific is in rather short supply in Europe. I also agree most bread in North America is bad both from a nutritional and culinary perspective. I re-discovered that visiting my Mom last year in BC.
I seldom eat bread anymore because most contain excessive amounts of sugar, including concentrated sugars, of various kinds. I prefer a whole wheat bread that includes some extra virgin olive oil instead of butter, also without any type of sweet additive. And yes, in a lot of places around the world, including most of Europe, sweeteners aren't used in bread. I am sorry for saying that too much sugar, salt, and animal fat are quite prominent in the American diet.

anika200

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2018
USA
I seldom eat bread anymore because most contain excessive amounts of sugar, including concentrated sugars, of various kinds. I prefer a whole wheat bread that includes some extra virgin olive oil instead of butter, also without any type of sweet additive. And yes, in a lot of places around the world, including most of Europe, sweeteners aren't used in bread. I am sorry for saying that too much sugar, salt, and animal fat are quite prominent in the American diet.
I agree, my standard bread recipe is 3g sugar per 483g loaf which seems less than standard American but less sugar is good. Now you start messing with my salt and animal fat and then where are we at, hmmm.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I agree, my standard bread recipe is 3g sugar per 483g loaf which seems less than standard American but less sugar is good. Now you start messing with my salt and animal fat and then where are we at, hmmm.
😅 Oh, I love eating bacon, brisket, sausages, and steaks...occasionally. But my doctor just told me to avoid sugar-specially concentrated ones, salt, and animal fat in my diet. I, and old man, has been put on a nearly Mediterranean diet (minus the wine at the moment). I do understand that too much animal fat and processed foods can sometimes be detrimental to one's health, specially the liver.

You won't believe the amounts of sugar, salt, and fat added to the supermarket foods. The canned tomato soup I referred to (above somewhere) has concentrated sugars. It tastes like some type of liquid tomato candy instead of tomato. The same for lots of the tomato spaghetti and pizza sauces sold at the supermarket instead of the spaghetti/pizza sauces from Italy. Numerous of the Italian ones retain some of the "tomato bitterness", but most Americans prefer the sweet flavor the have been accustomed to.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
This is an anecdote from about 10 years ago when I was living in Beijing.

In the local supermarket they had two types of sliced pre-packaged bread. I wasn't buying bread as I spent most days too full of rice or noodles. However, they caught my eye because they looked identical apart from one having the Union Jack on it and one the American Flag. Intrigued I had a look at them both.

The only difference was that the American style one had sugar much, much higher in the ingredients list. I don't remember the numbers now, but they gae the percentage figure and it was surprisingly high.

Now, of course, this is just what some Chinese company thought foreign bread was like, but I'm sure they did some research before branding them such.

Reactions: AlaskaMoose

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Indeed, though even butter at least is better than all the processed fats that are used in the US. Thinking canola and corn oil etc. though also animal fats are really heavily processed as well depending on the product.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Mellofello808

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
It's all about balance.

I still eat butter, animal proteins, and sugar. However I mostly try to avoid heavily processed foods.

Despite me eating more fats, I have lost a bunch of weight, and my cholesterol numbers have never been better.

Bread for me is always a treat, not a everyday thing.

Reactions: adrianlondon

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
This is an anecdote from about 10 years ago when I was living in Beijing.

In the local supermarket they had two types of sliced pre-packaged bread. I wasn't buying bread as I spent most days too full of rice or noodles. However, they caught my eye because they looked identical apart from one having the Union Jack on it and one the American Flag. Intrigued I had a look at them both.

The only difference was that the American style one had sugar much, much higher in the ingredients list. I don't remember the numbers now, but they gae the percentage figure and it was surprisingly high.

Now, of course, this is just what some Chinese company thought foreign bread was like, but I'm sure they did some research before branding them such.
Once the buyer has a taste of the American sweet and delicious bread, they are hooked. It is the same for sugary drinks, soda, and the like.

Indeed, though even butter at least is better than all the processed fats that are used in the US. Thinking canola and corn oil etc. though also animal fats are really heavily processed as well depending on the product.
Yes, butter is better than the US processed fats. Most of the Canola oil contain GMO corn. There is nothing wrong with lean beef specially if you can control the amount a fat you add to it. For example, a ground beef to use for hamburgers and such may need 5% to 15% or more fat added to it. Bison, elk, and moose have a lean meat, so if you precess it yourself (grind it) you have to decide haw much non-processed animal fat you need to add to it.
It's all about balance.

I still eat butter, animal proteins, and sugar. However I mostly try to avoid heavily processed foods.

Despite me eating more fats, I have lost a bunch of weight, and my cholesterol numbers have never been better.

Bread for me is always a treat, not a everyday thing.
That's true. But when it comes to sugar it can get a little complicated, since the liver is involved in
converting glycogen to glucose and also in storing extra glucose. There is not a way for one to tell the daily amount (two much or too little) of sugar that is consumed each day, and how the liver is reacting to it unless you can have a blood analysis.

You are correct in that "balance is the key."..as long one eats nutritious non-over processed foods, and does not become fat. My mother used to tell me, "eat a little of food, don't eat too much red meat, don't overeat, and stay trimmed." I am an old man, and my grandfather-even long ago when most people didn't live very long-died in his late 90's. He was always working and slim (not skinny). My wife's grandmother is 97 years old. She has always been in good shape (not overweight) and is always working around her house (gardening, and so on). She does volunteer work at a museum in front of a computer (research, writing announcements, and so on). Her husband, my father in law died at the age of almost 96 (2 months shot of it). He always had bacon and eggs for breakfast, plus a large cup pf coffee with lots of sugar. He stayed slim all his life :)

In reality, a balanced diet that results in one becoming strong (healthy) and lean may be one of the keys for prolonging one's life.

Last edited:
Reactions: adrianlondon

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Once the buyer has a taste of the American sweet and delicious bread, they are hooked. It is the same for sugary drinks, soda, and the like.

Maybe. But some things just shouldn't be sweet. Bread is one of them, in my opinion, although I'm a sucker for a peanut butter and jam* sandwich.

I've almost stopped eating burger buns since I once had one left over and decided "well, it's just a bread roll, I'll make a cheese sarnie with it" and it tasted like I'd put red leicester on a slice of cake.

I never realised how sweet they were. I now usually use soft bread rolls instead, although with a burger they do still work. I put sweet pickle on a burger anyway, so it's not as if I'm going sugar free.

* Google tells me that in the US, jam must contain 55% sugar and fruit; jelly must contain 65% sugar and is usually made from fruit juice. We don't have "jelly" in the UK as far as I'm aware.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Speaking of food found this very disturbing story but only on this English language site, I have not heard of it so far in the French-language media.

The chocolate of the future will have less cocoa or none at all

The high price of cocoa beans along with consumer concerns and government regulations surrounding deforestation and child labour have sparked a hunt for new chocolate ingredients.

WTF?? Fava beans, oats and sunflower seeds? Even carob which is ok, is not chocolate IMO. Cacao beans or nothing! If this happens I will ask the King of Belgium to annex Switzerland to force proper chocolate and if the Belgians do the same thing I will hope extraterrestrials with a sense of Earth gastronomy (vegetarian of course*) come to fix things.

*Not the ones from Twilight Zone "To Serve Man"

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Maybe. But some things just shouldn't be sweet. Bread is one of them, in my opinion, although I'm a sucker for a peanut butter and jam* sandwich.

I've almost stopped eating burger buns since I once had one left over and decided "well, it's just a bread roll, I'll make a cheese sarnie with it" and it tasted like I'd put red leicester on a slice of cake.

I never realised how sweet they were. I now usually use soft bread rolls instead, although with a burger they do still work. I put sweet pickle on a burger anyway, so it's not as if I'm going sugar free.

* Google tells me that in the US, jam must contain 55% sugar and fruit; jelly must contain 65% sugar and is usually made from fruit juice. We don't have "jelly" in the UK as far as I'm aware.
I agree with you. In fact, i have never liked the sweet taste of most of the US breads on the supermarket shelves, regardless if they are baked with whole-grain. Years ago as a child, a loaf of bread cost around $0.10 (ten US cents), and I would buy it right at the bakery while it was warm. No sugar was added to his bread, just butter or olive oil. Years ago (in the early '80s) in California my wife and I used to eat at a "cozy" or comfortable Italian restaurant, where a warm loaf of bread would be placed at the center of the table, and this bread was delicious. Not a hint of sugar, just a slight taste of olive oil.

Hmm...! In the US, the jam, marmalade, and jelly are about the same thing. The difference is that when you strain the mashed or crushed fruit, then the remaining thick liquid is called "jelly". But if you make your own, you can control the amount of sugar. I have some jelly and jam that don't have very much sugar. These are made by some of the local farmers and sold at "farmer's markets." But most of the food industry's jams and jellies are extremely sweet.

Speaking of food found this very disturbing story but only on this English language site, I have not heard of it so far in the French-language media.

WTF?? Fava beans, oats and sunflower seeds? Even carob which is ok, is not chocolate IMO. Cacao beans or nothing! If this happens I will ask the King of Belgium to annex Switzerland to force proper chocolate and if the Belgians do the same thing I will hope extraterrestrials with a sense of Earth gastronomy (vegetarian of course*) come to fix things.

Well...chocolate without cocoa? That's a ridiculous idea :)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Amen - a profound and heartfelt amen - to all of the above.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Now, I do know that they say - and attempt to argue - that 'a rose by any other name', (is the same), but, but, but....Chocolate is not chocolate without cocoa.

anika200

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2018
USA
Couple of racks of ribs on the fire, basted with basically a clean out the fridge curry sauce, wing sauce, beer, vinegar mix. :D They were pretty amazing, kept them at 160F for about an hour or so and then pulled them and let chill.

PXL_20240705_220245273.jpg

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Sounds amazing, will it be chicken or ?
Actually, it was their 'mixed' biryani, which had chicken, lamb, and prawn, - as well as rice and spices - and it was absolutely delicious; moreover, it also came accompanied by - or, was paired with (it came automatically as part of the order) - an exceptionally good vegetable curry.

Reactions: anika200
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.