Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

@Brett

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2016
Hopefully the battery drain / heat issue on my 15PM is less. I have gone from a 100% battery health to 98% during the last two betas. Charging limited to 80%
My battery health is still fine on 15PM. But battery was draining much faster on beta 2 same with my Apple Watch Ultra. Hopefully battery life improves.

Marty80

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2015
Melbourne
Apple needs to seriously revise dark mode on 3rd party apps in the next update.

Most of my white background apps have gone black like eBay, YouTube and Bored Panda, but my bank app is still.

Also Apple dimmed the colour on apps, which is playing havoc on my eyes. I really hope they do not tint the widgets!

Attachments

• IMG_0882.png
    IMG_0882.png
    690.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0883.png
    IMG_0883.png
    968.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0884.png
    IMG_0884.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Reactions: OlliFlamme

CVUSA

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
New Dark Mode Icons AccuWeather,Google Maps,YouTube,Apple Store ,AirPort Utilly, box, Citizens Bank,Dropbox,United Airline ,VLC,Flickr,Shazam.
Bummer the hue app still in the light mode

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
I am a photographer and use the Photos app constantly.
It's really confusing now. I really don't like it. The summary feature only works on albums and the summarized photos are square, which crop the image too much. There should be a square/normal toggle.
Also, when you click on a photo to view it and, if the photo is vertical, there is a rounded corner and the photo doesn't reach the edge of the display, making it smaller than necessary. If the photo is horizontal, the rounded corners are not there and the image reaches the edge of the display.
What are the designers doing?
Slightly disappointed to say the least...

I don't like it either. And I've told them so. I'm pretty sure they cared. I may tell 'em again. At least the "Select" button seems to work properly now.

JamestheCharming

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2019
It's really confusing now. I really don't like it. The summary feature only works on albums and the summarized photos are square, which crop the image too much. There should be a square/normal toggle.
Also, when you click on a photo to view it and, if the photo is vertical, there is a rounded corner and the photo doesn't reach the edge of the display, making it smaller than necessary. If the photo is horizontal, the rounded corners are not there and the image reaches the edge of the display.
As a digital product manager / analyst, I instantly know that this re-design will be a disaster, when they showcase this new design in Keynote of WWDC.

Amazing how it had been approved within Apple design teams. Apple really lost its unparalleled aesthetics taste in design.

jejt

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2024
IMG_0380.png
Never noticed this before on Google Maps in Apple CarPlay - it shows your current travelling speed (sorry for distorted pic, edited for privacy reasons).

Reactions: HuNay

ShabbaRanks

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2013
I couldn’t agree more. The Photos redesign is pointless busywork that just made the app harder to use.

avro707

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2010
Never noticed this before on Google Maps in Apple CarPlay

I didn't notice it today when I was using Google Maps. I didn't update Google Maps recently though.

Agree with the post above, the photos app is annoyingly hard to use now.

Parowdy

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2024
Europe
I haven’t seen it mentioned yet, but I might just overlooked it.
Since beta one, there are animations on the side of the screen when pressing any side button.
Almost looks like preparation for capacitive buttons.

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
Select button in the Photos app is in Beta 2, it's just been swapped around with the search icon.
Select button was visible only when you had you photo library in full screen, not in summarised view or in default view when you start the app. When I took some pictures and wanted to send few, I could see them when I open the app but couldn’t select. I had to scroll down to show only the library on entire page. Only then it showed select button. Like many others, I also reported it to Apple via feedback.

Reactions: fatTribble

Parowdy

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2024
Europe
I'm not sure if it's new in Beta 3, but when viewing an album in the "Summary" view, under the "up-arrow/down-arrow" button (weird glyph for what is basically a "..." menu), there is a View Options > Aspect Ratio Grid toggle, which does exactly what you want it to.
If you’re talking about this, it’s present in beta 2.
And I on the contrary think the ⬆️⬇️ makes a lot of sense because it is a sort and view options menu, not a … with all the edit, move and edit features.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-09 at 05.42.18.jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-07-09 at 05.42.18.jpeg
    230.9 KB · Views: 40
Reactions: OlliFlamme

Lotuskid

macrumors regular
May 23, 2010
View attachment 2395568 Never noticed this before on Google Maps in Apple CarPlay - it shows your current travelling speed (sorry for distorted pic, edited for privacy reasons).
I noticed this today on my regular 17.5.1 iPhone 15p so I think it’s just a Google maps/carplay update

I did notice that the maps mileage estimate was always 1-2 miles slower than my dash

flexwithmarius

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2022
Really hoping Apple Intelligence will be a server side switch. Not holding my breath for that, but I can hope!
Right now, I’m betting it’s server side with a device whitelist locked behind feature flags locked behind AppleConnect. Ya know, for maximum security.

flexwithmarius

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2022
The new icons have to be generated. Give it time. Try doing the icon customisation again in half an hour.

(If it still doesn't work, try temporarily changing your wallpaper.)
Funny enough, there’s documentation for developers to submit custom light, dark and greyscale variants of their app icon in iOS 18 builds.

So the auto-generated icons are somewhat temporary until developers either find them satisfactory or choose to bake in their own come final release.

flexwithmarius

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2022
I have to agree. The Photos app changes are the biggest example of "change for the sake of change" I've ever seen. None of the changes make it easier to use. It's just different, for no real good reason, and requires a lot more swiping around whereas before you had the convenient "tabs" on the bottom.

Right now I'd be ecstatic if Apple abandoned the changes to the Photos app and just kept it the same as iOS 17. There was literally no reason to make these changes.
Yeah, it’s hot garbage. Bringing back a permanent Select button makes it slightly more usable though.

Parowdy

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2024
Europe
Is this new? I don’t know if I’ve seen this before and if I did, it didn’t prevent all the people to complain about heat and battery life after updating.
IMG_4207.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.