Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2022
There’s also no way to select multiple recent photos if you can’t view your recent photos. Recent Days is not the same as Recent Photos. FWIW I submitted FB14227353
You can add a “recently saved” to your “pinned” as well as sorting the gallery by recents by clicking the up/down arrow icon when you‘ve scrolled up into the photo list > sort by recently captured.

• Sad
Reactions: gank41

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
They should still be there but they're going to get moved around a little.

Yes, but first you have to scroll down to the bottom, there is a small preview of 1-2 albums, then you have to click again to get to the album list.

It’s not convenient at all.
Okay thanks.

Main thing is for me, they’re still there. We have tons haha

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Although you can adjust things to make them easier to get at, it doesn't change the fact that you now have more taps to get to where you're trying to get at and do. I basically only use the Recents folder, so having it just up front right away seems helpful on paper, but in practice it's not the same. After adjusting and organizing and stuff, it's manageable.

Although Photos just crashes for me now when trying to scroll down to the other sections. Beta life!

Reactions: fatTribble

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2022
Although you can adjust things to make them easier to get at, it doesn't change the fact that you now have more taps to get to where you're trying to get at and do. I basically only use the Recents folder, so having it just up front right away seems helpful on paper, but in practice it's not the same. After adjusting and organizing and stuff, it's manageable.

Although Photos just crashes for me now when trying to scroll down to the other sections. Beta life!
If you set the double arrow to recents it appears to stay like that permanently. Might be buggy though.

dburkhanaev

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2018
I can understand the changes they're making in the "Library" section of the Photos app, but not providing a direct way to get to the "Albums" section, other than just scrolling.. Makes it clunky and disorganized. I've spent a few years curating and editing all of my folders and people and places. Making it "easier" for some AI to find my stuff for me sounds great on paper, but people really just want to get to their recents and their favorites right away, and then some needed folders after that. Scroll down for Types and then a little further to hidden & deleted. Boom. Why is that so hard?
This exactly! I have tons of shared albums due to live events and family events. More family members have iPhone than ever before. I can’t find a way to get to shared albums. And because shared albums encapsulate an event I don’t want to see photos from the same day mixed in with them.

Apple has really made some bizarre choices with things lately. Between this and Contact Posters, I just can’t.

Reactions: gank41

vultuk

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2015
Bolton, England
This exactly! I have tons of shared albums due to live events and family events. More family members have iPhone than ever before. I can’t find a way to get to shared albums. And because shared albums encapsulate an event I don’t want to see photos from the same day mixed in with them.

Apple has really made some bizarre choices with things lately. Between this and Contact Posters, I just can’t.

IMG_3834.jpg

Don't you just click on the shared albums section in the photos app?

jasonsmith_88

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2016
Scrubbing works so well on iOS 17 and below. The mind boggles at this regression in iOS 18. It’s horrid. No one could claim the scrubbing in 18 is better with a straight face. And why was scrubbing even changed anyway?

I’m so absolutely sick and tired of the current state of software development, where if a UI is old, it is deemed “bad” and “unintuitive”, and must be thrown out and completely redesigned from the ground up, ensuring literally nothing functions the way it used to.

Maybe they have good intentions. But 99/100 times, redesigned UI’s are worse. They end up clunky. Buggy. Missing features.

Stop fixing things that aren’t broken. Fix things that are broken, like text selection, autocorrect, apps pausing my music, and not being able to disable HDR capture on newer iPhones.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
I have yet to toy around much with it but I miss the days view, that had important photos displayed in a mosaic style grid with varying sizes. That seems to be removed, only the card like month / year view is left.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
You can add a “recently saved” to your “pinned” as well as sorting the gallery by recents by clicking the up/down arrow icon when you‘ve scrolled up into the photo list > sort by recently captured.
This is too much "extra" to do. I'm grateful the UI can be customized at all, and I understand the importance of that. Being neutral in something like this can be difficult, trying to make everyone happy...

FWIW I've been able to configure things to make it "easier" but will definitely stand by in the "This is not better" camp on this one. Adding more steps to do basic things I've been used to doing for years, is not "better".

eoblaed

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2010
The improved functionality is nice, but I'm having a hard time adapting to the new layout. I don't like that you have to scroll down a long ways to get to Albums ... or that Favorites is no longer an album, it's in 'Pinned Collections'. Every other Pinned Collection is something implicitly created by iOS. They're pretty nice ... but Favorites is something the user specifically selects, much like Albums.

I'm sure I'll get used to it over time, but for now it's a bit of clunky experience for me.

vultuk

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2015
Bolton, England
The improved functionality is nice, but I'm having a hard time adapting to the new layout. I don't like that you have to scroll down a long ways to get to Albums ... or that Favorites is no longer an album, it's in 'Pinned Collections'. Every other Pinned Collection is something implicitly created by iOS. They're pretty nice ... but Favorites is something the user specifically selects, much like Albums.

I'm sure I'll get used to it over time, but for now it's a bit of clunky experience for me.

Scroll down to the bottom, hit customize and then set it up exactly how you want it to be.

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
Has anyone on iOS 18 tried the RAW Power app? I have that apps settings set to mirror my Photos app. Just wondering if it continues to show the Albums prominently like before. Could be a good alternative.
try the successor Nitro. :)

Hobbes42

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2018
West Coast
Scrubbing works so well on iOS 17 and below. The mind boggles at this regression in iOS 18. It’s horrid. No one could claim the scrubbing in 18 is better with a straight face. And why was scrubbing even changed anyway?

I’m so absolutely sick and tired of the current state of software development, where if a UI is old, it is deemed “bad” and “unintuitive”, and must be thrown out and completely redesigned from the ground up, ensuring literally nothing functions the way it used to.

Maybe they have good intentions. But 99/100 times, redesigned UI’s are worse. They end up clunky. Buggy. Missing features.

Stop fixing things that aren’t broken. Fix things that are broken, like text selection, autocorrect, apps pausing my music, and not being able to disable HDR capture on newer iPhones.
Couldn’t agree more. Apple keeps fixing things that weren’t broken, and perpetually ignoring broken things.

What software are they using in there? Because it doesn’t seem like they’re using their own software.

I genuinely want to know, because I wanna switch to that. I know it’s not Microsoft. Is it Linux? If so what phones are they using?

Hobbes42

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2018
West Coast
Scroll down to the bottom, hit customize and then set it up exactly how you want it to be.
I just did this.

That’s the most cryptic settings UI I’ve ever seen. What will un-selecting one of the options do? What will re-organizing then do when the UI is left to right?

Why did this need to change, after 17 years of consistency? Why do we need to suddenly re-learn a core part of the experience?

While I’m complaining, they said last WWDC that autocorrect got better. It hasn’t. It might be worse than it ever was.

Apple. Come on. What are you guys allocating all your resources to right now?

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Any constructive argument for that?
I already own RAW Power. So no extra money invested there.

I could just learn to deal with dumb changes and hope some QoL changes can still be made to make it better.

Ummm that’s $100?

Reeneman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2021
It seems like such a clear downgrade in every conceivable aspect. I HATE it. I surely can’t bet the only one, I imagine there is going to be some backlash once the wider public sees how it changed, when iOS 18 officially drops.
Way for Apple to ruin something that was simple and functional. Sometimes they don’t know when to stop rethinking the wheel.
I agree. I run the beta on my second phone (the one for work… 😇) and the photos app in iOS18 is a clear downgrade.
In general I hate these huge lists or panels that coming up when you swipe. It’s the same in Maps Apps but I got used to it.
Photos app in iOS17 is nice at it is and I really don’t see an improvement with the new version.

Last edited:

vultuk

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2015
Bolton, England
I just did this.

That’s the most cryptic settings UI I’ve ever seen. What will un-selecting one of the options do? What will re-organizing then do when the UI is left to right?

Why did this need to change, after 17 years of consistency? Why do we need to suddenly re-learn a core part of the experience?

While I’m complaining, they said last WWDC that autocorrect got better. It hasn’t. It might be worse than it ever was.

Apple. Come on. What are you guys allocating all your resources to right now?
Gotta be honest, seems like you’re being intentionally obtuse. Unselecting, clearly means it won’t be displayed any more, reorganising will change the order.

Why did it need to change? It probably didn’t NEED to, but if the world stayed stagnant for ever then life would be very boring, apps would never see any progress, and we would be stuck with iOS 1. (Scary thought)

But fortunately you have the option to not upgrade to iOS 18. Or use a different photo management app like Google photos.

AbSoluTc

Contributor
Sep 21, 2008
Been watching some video reviews on the new photos app and I am not a fan. I like some of the features and they make sense but a large majority of them seem to be burying lots of features under several taps. The home layout just looks messy as hell. It reminds me of the ATV+ home layout revamp - hate it! Was much simpler and more intuitive previously. Now I have to hit back, back, back to bring up the side bar, scroll, blah blah blah.

Not looking forward to the 18 update honestly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.