Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2023
Earth
Op said they’re using the AdGuard Safari extension which is not blocking youtube ads for them. As I stated in my initial reply hours ago, no that does not block YouTube ads. The desktop app is not the same thing and not what we were talking about.

These are the Safari extensions.
In your screenshot, I see seven items for the AdGuard extension. I have them all enabled on iPhone and iPad except for the first item in your screenshot list. The reason I don’t enable that first item is because enabling that one allows AdGuard to read and alter web pages as well as seeing the website history. I’m not sure if I’m just being paranoid, but AdGuard seems to block all ads in YouTube without enabling that first one.

VitoBotta

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2020
Espoo, Finland
Practical differences: a) AdGuard for Mac is system wide - so it works with other browsers, email, newsfeeds, etc., b) can do a deeper inspection (and modification) of your web requests and responses, and c) do DNS blocking.

How it works difference: AdGuard for Safari is "just" a Safari extension using Apple's adblocker framework. AdGuard for Mac is a system extension that is able to inspect/modify all network traffic.

Management differences: AdGuard for Safari is easy - just enable and choose which filters. AdGuard for Mac is much more complex.

Trust: Because AdGuard for Mac can do more, you need to have greater trust that there is nothing bad going on. As a home user, I am happy with that. But, I would be careful to get sign off if I was using it within a large organisation.

AdGuard for Mac can intercept DNS requests and apply blocklists. Arguably you don't next NextDNS as well. I run AdGuard Home on a Pi as my DNS resolver, and it still blocks a few requests.

is MacRumors very slow since yesterday for others too? I wonder if AdGuard is affecting some websites?

Reactions: JemTheWire

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
I use AdGuard on my Macs and while I don’t see ads anymore, I do see black windows for the duration of the ads that would be there.

Just me?

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2023
Earth
I use AdGuard on my Macs and while I don’t see ads anymore, I do see black windows for the duration of the ads that would be there.

Just me?
It’s not just you, I see that too. I think this is the way AdGuard keeps us from seeing the advertisements. I have noticed that, if you long-press a link and open in a new tab then that black/blank screen is not seen at all.

Reactions: BanjoDudeAhoy

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
I am currently using Safari (not sure if I will stick to it yet)
I used to be all in on Safari on my Mac. I switched to Arc a bit over a year ago and use uBlock Origin*, and it works on any chromium browser. For iOS, I used to use Safari and Vinegar, and it worked well for a while and still does. I found Brave to be a better experience overall with its library feature, however, and switched a while ago. I still use Safari and Arc Search for my general browsing, and use Brave for YT alone. This silo approach may be worth trying on your computer, depending on how much YT you consume.

*uBlock Origin, not uBlock

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
I use multiple ad blockers simultaneously (mostly because of custom filter options, 1Blocker does a great job, for instance, of letting you choose to hide annoying non-advertising site elements [incredibly useful on the Fandom, né Wikia, wikis, for instance]). I rarely ever see YouTube ads, but I really couldn’t tell ya which ad blocker is doing the heavy lifting.

1Blocker, Ad Blocker, AdBlock, AdBlockPlus, AdBurn, AdGuard, Banish, Ka-Block, yPlayer, StopTheMadness. If I had to guess, it’s probably a combination of 1Blocker, AdGuard, and StopTheMadness. I’ve also got BlockYT, but I don’t think it blocks ads (instead, it hides YouTube shorts and can hide comments and suggested videos).

Actually, I really like StopTheMadness, in addition to blocking YouTube ads, it’ll let you set an automatic resolution setting for YouTube and will let you use the system video controls when using Safari. And that’s just YouTube centric features. It’ll do stuff like preventing websites from stopping you from zooming or scrolling, let you bypass AMP, and prevent sites from blocking you from closing tabs. Plus, you can inject custom CSS and JavaScript into any page. What’s more, you’ve got per-site settings, so you can inject custom CSS and JavaScript on one site without injecting it into other sites.

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2023
Earth
I use multiple ad blockers simultaneously (mostly because of custom filter options, 1Blocker does a great job, for instance, of letting you choose to hide annoying non-advertising site elements [incredibly useful on the Fandom, né Wikia, wikis, for instance]). I rarely ever see YouTube ads, but I really couldn’t tell ya which ad blocker is doing the heavy lifting.

1Blocker, Ad Blocker, AdBlock, AdBlockPlus, AdBurn, AdGuard, Banish, Ka-Block, yPlayer, StopTheMadness. If I had to guess, it’s probably a combination of 1Blocker, AdGuard, and StopTheMadness. I’ve also got BlockYT, but I don’t think it blocks ads (instead, it hides YouTube shorts and can hide comments and suggested videos).

Actually, I really like StopTheMadness, in addition to blocking YouTube ads, it’ll let you set an automatic resolution setting for YouTube and will let you use the system video controls when using Safari. And that’s just YouTube centric features. It’ll do stuff like preventing websites from stopping you from zooming or scrolling, let you bypass AMP, and prevent sites from blocking you from closing tabs. Plus, you can inject custom CSS and JavaScript into any page. What’s more, you’ve got per-site settings, so you can inject custom CSS and JavaScript on one site without injecting it into other sites.
I was under the impression that we could only use a certain number of filters at a time. Is this no longer the case? I mean, if this is still the case, then having 10 browser extensions means that either some of them don’t work at all or all of them Have reduced effectiveness.

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
I was under the impression that we could only use a certain number of filters at a time. Is this no longer the case? I mean, if this is still the case, then having 10 browser extensions means that either some of them don’t work at all or all of them Have reduced effectiveness.
There’s a limit to the number of filters per content blocker, I believe, but not to the number of content blockers overall. Plus, in addition to content blockers, many ad blockers provide an extension you can turn on, so there are workarounds.

• Love
Reactions: Iwavvns

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
is MacRumors very slow since yesterday for others too? I wonder if AdGuard is affecting some websites?
No, I use MacRumors in an alternate browser with its own ad blocking (I added the forums here to my blocklist in 1Blocker in an attempt to spend less time here), and it was slow for me, too. Trying to connect to the forum would actually time out, so it was some problem on MacRumor’s end.

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2023
Earth
There’s a limit to the number of filters per content blocker, I believe, but not to the number of content blockers overall. Plus, in addition to content blockers, many ad blockers provide an extension you can turn on, so there are workarounds.
Thank you for that information. I remember reading something like that. It’s good to know that there are workarounds.

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
I don't get onto facebook too much anymore, so maybe this has been going on for awhile: they're now cramming non-skippable ads into the middle of a 70-second video. Is there NO END to corporate greed?!?
After attending 4 colleges and a 37-yr Air Force career, I have friends all over the world, and FB was a cool way to keep in touch with everyone (and reconnect with some I'd lost track of), but I guess zuckerberg needs even more billions in his pocket.
Wonder if there'll ever be an ad-blocker for FB... EDIT: I just checked, there are two "facebook ad blockers" in the App Store; has anyone tried them? More importantly, do either of them block a video ad "embedded" in a posted video?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.