Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Honestly, the mere fact anyone finds reasons to defend negative reaction emojis shows me the problem with them.

Why do you consider "disagree" a negative reaction? Disagreements are potential learning experiences for both sides. I acknowledge a worded disagreement is more constructive but reactions still have some value.

I find it sad that you lump everyone that disagrees with you on this into one group that has a "problem".

The dirty little secret here is that many people like them to exist so they can continue to bother and harass people, even if they've been blocked.

I doubt more than a handful of the members here even know that. I wouldn't had you not mentioned it.

There's absolutely no positively affirmative and useful case to have "negative reactions"

That is your opinion. Trolls aside, I find the disagree reaction very useful. I have mentioned many times that I think 'disagree' should be allowed on all posts and 'angry face' eliminated. I don't feel angry face is useful as almost any post I am genuinely mad at probably gets mod'd anyway.

I value reactions as informal "polls" for each post.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Why do you consider "disagree" a negative reaction? Disagreements are potential learning experiences for both sides. I acknowledge a worded disagreement is more constructive but reactions still have some value.

A post explaining ones view that may disagree is very useful and sparks debate

There is no useful value in the emoji reaction alone

I, as a poster, don't need to know you disagree on my post itself
Others don't need to see it (it generally sparks a pile on culture)

What we all gain value from is a constructive textual retort

Sort of related to this:

I was just listening to a podcast discussing the studies and governing body reports imploring Instagram to hide likes.

Even positive affirmation (or the lack of it) via likes has been studied and shown to be a potential mental health problem.

Ultimately, it's just not necessary.

This is a discussion forum and "reactions" to what people say should probably be limited to "saying something back in a constructive fashion"

It's low effort and not a value add to do drive by emoji reacting -- I find a lot of accounts that do it never say anything at all (positive or negative) -- Sometimes I wonder if there is a bot problem on MR honestly

• Love
Reactions: ric22

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
There is no useful value in the emoji reaction alone

Again, this is your opinion, you are entitled to it but you often state it as fact, it is not.

I, as a poster, don't need to know you disagree on my post itself
Others don't need to see it (it generally sparks a pile on culture)

I, as a poster, enjoy seeing the unofficial "poll" that emoji responses provide, especially to response posts versus the original.

Even positive affirmation (or the lack of it) via likes has been studied and shown to be a potential mental health problem.

While I feel for anyone whose self esteem is so low that little tiny pictures can be a strain on their mental health I am not at the point where I feel we need to eliminate, what I feel, is a useful tool. People die in car accidents every day, shall we eliminate cars?

I think we should also take a look at the difference between a true social site like Facebook, IG, etc. versus a site like MR. I have heard about how social sites are thought to be extremely detrimental to young peoples mental health, especially young girls. In these situations real identities are commonly known and you can be picked on or bullied by not only your circle of classmates or those in your geography but literally on a world-wide scale. Here at MR I would imagine we have a mostly adult community, most of whom are hidden by their aliases. I think you would need to be seriously unstable to be so affected by emoji here.

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2023
Earth
Great ... let's nuke all the reactions then
Sounds like you sort of agree they aren't adding anything anyways?
Well, now that you mention it, nothing of real value would be lost if all reaction emojis were removed. I feel that the only reason those emojis exist is to give someone the feeling of being liked or accepted - this is one of the mental tools that keep some people coming back to a certain platform. This is a perfect example of a person's value and identity being obtained from the wrong source. Everyone on earth could hate you, but the good news is that this doesn't change your value or identity at all. Everyone on earth could love you, but that also doesn't change your value or identity. So what about those emojis? Can you begin to see that the "value" they bring is actually meaningless where your value and identity are concerned? And, if they're meaningless, can we not simply ignore them? Problem solved?

If we view opinion as opinion, then no harm done. The damage comes when we begin to view opinion as fact.

Reactions: Chuckeee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.