Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Not available (where I am) for me, unfortunately - I've just clicked on it, as that is a lovely programme - so, yes, it would appear that the video, clearly, does indeed come complete with regional restrictions.

Here are a couple of other videos about Square Dance you might be able to watch (since you've mentioned Baroque music is a fave):

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
It's been a while since I looked at this thread, but I caught something last night that really had be give it a listen, and holy **** I'm not only surprised but am highly impressed.

The following piece is from a guy named Kip Winger. For those of you to whom this name seems familiar, it is that very same Kip Winger, from the hair metal band Winger. I caught an interview with him after Grunge hit in the early 90s and left him floating in a sea of nothingness as no one was buying what they were selling. But what no one realized is that early in his life, Kip went into the conservatory to dance ballet, and kept up with it and the classical music behind the ballets he was performing in. So he took a detour from metal and went back to orchestral composing, along the likes of Debussy, Nijinsky, and others. Apparently last year he wrote a ballet that was performed by Tuscon symphony, was nominated for a Grammy for contemporary classical, and composed an entire symphony with the San Francisco Ballet Orchestra.

This is one of those pieces: Chaconne de feu, from Conversations with Nijinsky. Enjoy.

Not bad for a hair metal guy.

BL.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
So he took a detour from metal and went back to orchestral composing, along the likes of Debussy, Nijinsky, and others. Apparently last year he wrote a ballet that was performed by Tuscon symphony, was nominated for a Grammy for contemporary classical, and composed an entire symphony with the San Francisco Ballet Orchestra.

I saw Christopher Wheeldon’s Ghosts, set to another Winger ballet composition, danced by San Francisco Ballet. I don’t really remember much about it, honestly, because it was part of a triple bill that had a powerhouse Jerome Robbins piece and a classic Paul Taylor piece alongside Ghosts. Plus it hasn’t been danced by SFB since then.

—————-
“Ghosts” would be a good title for all of his work: everything he has made to date is powerfully haunted by dead choreographers, and usually it’s a pleasure to recognize his sources, if you can.
As it happens, the title comes from the music, composed largely to Mr. Wheeldon’s specifications by C. F. Kip Winger, of the band Winger. Like Mr. Wheeldon’s choreography, Mr. Winger’s music recalls a range of sources, some late-Romantic, some thoroughly modernist. His 30-minute, four-movement composition led by piano and strings, with the solo violin adding its voice at times supplies Mr. Wheeldon with constant change.

Last edited:

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Listening to some intriguing orchestral music by Mexican composer Pablo Moncayo. Had never encountered his music before, but recently seeing a recorded performance based on Mexican folk and nationalist themes was fascinating.

I hope this classical music thread gets revived more often. Always interesting to see what everyone's listening to.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I can't believe that in my two years on this site, I have never found this thread!! So I'll happily throw in some suggestions for excellent classical music:

Keith Jarrett, who y'all might best know as a jazz musician--but he also wrote excellent classical music! And his album In the Light perfectly represents this!

Messiaen's "Poemes Pour Mi," which also has fascinating harmonies.

Then of course all the chorales from the Bach masses, which are also excellent!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I can't believe that in my two years on this site, I have never found this thread!! So I'll happily throw in some suggestions for excellent classical music:

Keith Jarrett, who y'all might best know as a jazz musician--but he also wrote excellent classical music! And his album In the Light perfectly represents this!

Messiaen's "Poemes Pour Mi," which also has fascinating harmonies.

Then of course all the chorales from the Bach masses, which are also excellent!
There you are: Delighted that you came across this thread.

Reactions: rm5
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.