Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Looks like a major update is inbound.

I have no idea when its going to land, but it completely reworks the economy. From the video, it seems that with CS:2 you can't go broke - You keep getting government grants to cover any and all shortfalls. I can't really comment on this as I've not played CS:2 enough

Reactions: Reverend Benny

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Looks like a major update is inbound.

I have no idea when its going to land, but it completely reworks the economy. From the video, it seems that with CS:2 you can't go broke - You keep getting government grants to cover any and all shortfalls. I can't really comment on this as I've not played CS:2 enough

Is that a difficulty setting?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Is that a difficulty setting?
I'm not sure to be honest, I think it was a safety measure put into the game for new players, but as people complained they said without the risk of failure there's really no reason to play.

From what the video stated, the completely removed the government grant feature of the game, though if you like to play with unlimited money you still can (CS:1 has this as well)

Another aspect of the can't fail mentality is traffic, Biffa mentioned it in his video where you really cannot mess up traffic, cars just despawn when traffic gets heavy and he said the same thing. The fun is trying to overcome the challenge and having a risk of failure. I don't think this update is changing the traffic heuristics just the economy.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm not sure to be honest, I think it was a safety measure put into the game for new players, but as people complained they said without the risk of failure there's really no reason to play.

From what the video stated, the completely removed the government grant feature of the game, though if you like to play with unlimited money you still can (CS:1 has this as well)

Another aspect of the can't fail mentality is traffic, Biffa mentioned it in his video where you really cannot mess up traffic, cars just despawn when traffic gets heavy and he said the same thing. The fun is trying to overcome the challenge and having a risk of failure. I don't think this update is changing the traffic heuristics just the economy.
I like challenge but I also like playing some scenarios in creative mode. For a city simulation, there is satisfaction setting up a city that is functional and prosperous.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I like challenge but I also like playing some scenarios in creative mode. For a city simulation, there is satisfaction setting up a city that is functional and prosperous.
Same, that's why I'll play with unlimited funds from time to time

Reactions: Huntn

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
Does anyone have experience with Cities Skylines on a cloud gaming platform? How does it perform?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Does anyone have experience with Cities Skylines on a cloud gaming platform? How does it perform?
Reports were CS:2's performance suffered greatly even on high-end hardware - there's no way that it would be feasible to play this using a streaming service.

Reactions: Isengardtom

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Here's the current players numbers (top) compared to Cities:Skylines 1 (bottom).

CS1 is almost back to the pre-CS2 hey day, where as CS2 seems to be settling in at the 4,500 player mark. Not horrible news, but not great. I think CO needs to start slowly building upon that player base and try to get that to grow.
2024-06-06_7-01-21.jpg

Reactions: LeeW

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
Reports were CS:2's performance suffered greatly even on high-end hardware - there's no way that it would be feasible to play this using a streaming service.
That's a shame - It's a game I'm very interested in (after they fix its broken parts)

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
At first launch the game was (and probably still is) extremely CPU limited. I think at some point they were going to fix the issue, but I have not seen any reports of it yet.

Honestly most of those issues don't become super apparent until you have a fairly large city with lots of inhabitants/traffic. I wished I had captured when I demolished a bunch of buildings and had a million people walking around trying to find housing (I rezoned). My FPS dropped into the single digits and more or less crashed my PC.

• Wow
Reactions: LeeW

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Honestly most of those issues don't become super apparent until you have a fairly large city with lots of inhabitants/traffic. I wished I had captured when I demolished a bunch of buildings and had a million people walking around trying to find housing (I rezoned). My FPS dropped into the single digits and more or less crashed my PC.

It's annoying that they must have known this yet released it anyway.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
It's annoying that they must have known this yet released it anyway.
From the reports floating around the interwebs, Colossal Order fought tooth and nail at NOT releasing the game, but the publisher forced them. Paradox Interactive had some poor game releases and thought this would give them a positive quarter. They now see the error of their ways.

In many respects SimCity as a franchise failed under similar circumstances, and that opened the door for Cities:Skylines, not sure if they will be able to recover to be honest.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I haven't tried Skylines 2 but kinda got the urge to fire up Skylines 1 again and start building.
I know there is a PS5 remaster (played it on PC earlier) and might give that a try if I'm not getting myself a new PC.

Edit, just saw its available on Mac, might fire up my M1 air so and see what its like to play on that machine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.