Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I'm curious as to why they don't put the A15 in the Apple TV? Or the next gen? Or maybe even an M1 since M1 is last gen?
I think Apple will pick what ever is cheapest for them to put in. That is why they went from the A10X to the A12 in the ATV4Ks, instead of the A10X successor, the A12X.

If Apple was serious about gaming, they would consider something more powerful, but the reality doesn't match the rumors, and it appears Apple doesn't either care or just doesn't understand gaming.

The developers don't appear to think Apple cares about gaming on tvOS, as the few gaming developers that released apps on the platform are now leaving it or abandoning the games.

The side devices usually get whatever chip has good yields and economies of scale. That's been A5 (which actually got multiple redesigns over the course of production, first a die-shrink to 32nm and then a full single-core revision for later-rev Apple TVs with the RAM off-package), A8, A10, and A12.

The cheap iPad's often the oddball - it sometimes gets the chips they don't use for everything else. Perhaps it's an availability thing.
I agree, with the exception of the first ATV4K, it had a A10X, not the A10.

The A10X was only used in one other device, the iPad Pro.

Actually, when the rumors started popping up about the A12 replacing the A10X in the next ATV, I gave the same reason as to why Apple would choose to go with a chip that was pretty much are par with the existing chip in terms of performance.

The A12 performs worse than the A10X when it comes to gaming, even on some of the Apple Arcade games. So, other than saving Apple money, there was little reason to use it over the A12X.

Last edited:

MrMojo1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
New England
Will consider the newer APP2 if Apple fixes the ANC/Transparency Mode which was nuked some while back with all the updates as well as it improves the eartips. Can not get a proper fit even trying Many types of eartips esp. the foam eartips from several companies.
Part of the issue is that the APP case is too darn small that it limits the larger eartip sizes.
Hopefully, Apple puts in a button in the case for updates as the current update method of letting it sit next to the iPhone and waiting for the APP update is convoluted.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
There's zero reason for the headphone jack to be removed from the iPad. It has plenty of space for one, is not as mobile as an iPhone, and is not water resistant at all.
You're thinking like a consumer. If you look at it from Apple's perspective, it all becomes clear. Not only does the removal of the headphone jack allow for the removal of some DTA conversion bits (pennies per unit x millions of units = significant additional profit), but it also is intended to drive new purchases of Air Pods (lots o' profit).

And when people complain but buy the product anyway, they're telling Apple they don't really care that much. Apple knows their audience.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
You're thinking like a consumer. If you look at it from Apple's perspective, it all becomes clear. Not only does the removal of the headphone jack allow for the removal of some DTA conversion bits (pennies per unit x millions of units = significant additional profit), but it also is intended to drive new purchases of Air Pods (lots o' profit).

And when people complain but buy the product anyway, they're telling Apple they don't really care that much. Apple knows their audience.
iPad sales have been down and have been down since the Apple Silicon Macs showed up. Since the new Macs are cheaper and do more than the new iPads it's become redundant to use an iPad, and now the removal of the headphone jack has further proven this.

jjudson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
North Carolina
Yeah no, I'm not buying anymore AirPods. I went back to wired recently and good lord the quality is night and day.

We gave wireless a try, now it's time to go back to practicality.
I went back to wired with a nice DAP. I hate carrying two devices when I travel, but if you take music seriously and care about purity and resolution, the iPhone ain't it...

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
There's zero reason for the headphone jack to be removed from the iPad. It has plenty of space for one, is not as mobile as an iPhone, and is not water resistant at all.
There's zero reason for it to be removed from an iPhone either. There's plenty of space for one, EarPods are just as mobile as an iPhone, and it is trivial to 100% waterproof the jack, and many phones and other devices have done so.

Reactions: Spaceboi Scaphandre

chineseguy38

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Melbourne
There won't be any new product from Apple this September. China is going to bomb Taiwan. We should stop buying products made in China!

enc0re

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
Whenever there’s the new Mac Pro announcement, surely it will include a new Pro Display.

kshald

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2021
To increase its markup on the entry level iPad, Apple may remove the headphone jack and its associated DAC.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
Nope, too many Gen 1 products.

I'll wait a year or two to upgrade if I like what I see, so as to give Apple time to work out the kinks that are sure to show up.

We had to wait four years for them to fix (remove) butterfly keyboards. FOUR YEARS.

So I'm happy with first-adopters testing the new machines out thoroughly.

Until then, my M1 iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard, M1 MBA (well, my daughter's), iPhone 12 Pro and AirPods Pro combo will keep me more than happy until any upgrade is worth doing.

That said, MagSafe charging on iPad would be nice, and even better on a new Magic Keyboard.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019

Agreed, although there IS a reason for the headphone jack to be removed from the iPad:

AirPods.

We just don't LIKE the reason (and rightly so).

I'd love it if the iPad had the same high-impedance jack as the MBPs.

Hell, I'd be willing to lose ALL the rear-camera BS I'll NEVER use or understand why Apple added them at all.

They make sense on an iPhone, but NOT an iPad, especially the larger ones.

Reactions: Spaceboi Scaphandre
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.