Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Glad I'm not the only one that noticed this. Ever since iOS 17, I have felt that Autocorrect has gotten so aggressive that I'm finding myself having to go back and change words in something like half or more of the messages I type. It's really, REALLY bad.

For instance, the today I was trying to start a sentence with "I gave my". It changed it to "I have my" THREE times before it let me keep it and there wasn't even any X to tap to make it not do it. I know it has always done this stuff here and there, but now it feels constant. Like it's aggressively trying to predict and assume what I'm going to type and not even giving me the option to deny what it predicts.

Side note, I don't understand why "Never change a correctly spelled word" isn't a Settings option.
This is my exact experience. It’s just god awful now.

Ugh, I just typed “now” and it changed it to “how.” Utter trash Apple. It’s embarrassing and completely frustrating.

Reactions: no0nefamous

no0nefamous

macrumors regular
May 11, 2021
Yes. Even in German it is very very bad. I can also reset the dictionary but after that it’s going worse.

Does resetting the dictionary reset what it has learned about your typing and what it tries to predict? Or just the words you have forced it to learn and the shortcuts you have created?

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I'm starting to think it must be some settings that fixes all this but I haven't found it.
I did a reset of the dictionary, it made things worse (that's always the case tho for the first week) so I have ended turning it off for the time being.
That made me realize how much I am actually using the auto-correct 😄

Reactions: jrdatrackstar1223

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
It's pretty awful. The thing that's been grating on me is that it doesn't correct words that start with a capital letter. So if I typed Bank of Amercia it'd let that stand.

lllusion

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2013
ios 17 autocorrect is exponentially worse than any previous iOS. It changes words far back in the sentence, without warning. It constantly adds apostrophes to words thereby making them nonsensical. The most flagrant example of this is "and's". WTF?

Reactions: Ursadorable

FrankieG889D

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2009
ios 17 autocorrect is exponentially worse than any previous iOS. It changes words far back in the sentence, without warning. It constantly adds apostrophes to words thereby making them nonsensical. The most flagrant example of this is "and's". WTF?
iOS 18, is even worse… my thinking is maybe I have never restored phone as “new” since my first iPhone… literally THE first iPhone.

I would like to restore as new.. but what will I lose?

• Wow
Reactions: Wizec

Und Eser

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2022
This random word selection and autogibberish that more often than not goes unnoticed until after a comment is posted is really grinding my gears.

This whole text-input thing needs back-pedalling to before function became dysfunction and re-thinking, because right now its a bloody shambles.

Reactions: Ursadorable

Ursadorable

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2013
The Frozen North
Steve Jobs would have fired someone by now if he saw how busted autocorrect on iOS has become. I read messages I've typed and found it's changed entire words and phrases to garbage that isn't even proper grammatic English.

How has autocorrect become so unreliable and garbage recently to the point where I'm shutting it off? I'd rather a spelling typo than it changing the entire context of the message I've typed.

Reactions: Wizec and Und Eser

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Since we’re complaining about autocorrect does anyone else have the problem with it cutting words off or using improp case at the beginning of a sentenc? It’s really annoying sometimes because I won’t catch it. I wonder if it’s better in iOS 18. I can’t seem to get it to put the improper case now that I’m trying to demonstrate it. I bolded the two random examples I got it to do.

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
Is this what I'm missing by not having enabled autocorrect since the first version of iPhone OS?

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I did turn off auto-correct when I first installed iOS 17 (think it was 17.1) cuz it was ***** but enabled it again (think it was 17.4) and things has changed. Now with 17.5.1 I think it has improved further.
Sure, it might also be a case that I have adjusted to it a bit but its defenetly better than when iOS 17 was released.

So give it a try with the latest iOS version of you haven't :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.