Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Sorry for the lack of updates. My wife is doing a good bit better. She is working her butt off to regain motion and feeling. And it’s slowly working. She has regained feeling to mid thigh her toes are still completely numb. She is also getting signs of pressure and a slight sense of discomfort when she needs to use the restroom. Today she walked with just a walker 110 feet before her body said enough. I am so proud of her strength and determination. We are and so is the PT hopeful that she may only need to stay 10 more days. Tomorrow is a care team meeting. Will update date tomorrow night. Thanks again.
Terrific news, and great to hear.

I'm delighted for you both.

Be patient with yourselves, and remember to try to be kind to yourselves.

Reactions: heretiq and AdamNC

AdamNC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2018
Leland NC
Good news. She is coming home on Sunday. Her nerves are “waking” up. She is by no means 100%. But she is progressing smoothly. Her determination and her willingness to push through the pain has helped. I have been getting the house ready for her. We have a long road ahead still but she is strong.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Good news. She is coming home on Sunday. Her nerves are “waking” up. She is by no means 100%. But she is progressing smoothly. Her determination and her willingness to push through the pain has helped. I have been getting the house ready for her. We have a long road ahead still but she is strong.
That is wonderful news.

Remember to try to be kind to yourselves and to one another, try to be patient with one another, and remember, also, to give each other plenty of personal and physical and psychological space.

Best wishes to you both.

Reactions: AdamNC and heretiq

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Fantastic! Hope there is some support for you both for when she comes home.
Good luck with it.

AdamNC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2018
Leland NC
Well ****. We should have been packing our car and getting ready to head home and such. But that is not how it’s going. Yesterday her surgical site started draining, so they started doing tests. Then a young nurse only 3 months on the job brought to the neurologists attention a trend she noticed. A small trend but she saved my wife’s live. My wife’s 02 stat was dropping and her heart rate had been climbing for 36 hours. Several tests were ordered. She has a very large bilateral pulmonary embolism. It’s a very serious issue. The chief of cardiology is driving back from Atlanta to here in Wilmington to look and come up with a plan. We are scared, upset, frustrated and exhausted. Thanks for any thoughts or support.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Well ****. We should have been packing our car and getting ready to head home and such. But that is not how it’s going. Yesterday her surgical site started draining, so they started doing tests. Then a young nurse only 3 months on the job brought to the neurologists attention a trend she noticed. A small trend but she saved my wife’s live. My wife’s 02 stat was dropping and her heart rate had been climbing for 36 hours. Several tests were ordered. She has a very large bilateral pulmonary embolism. It’s a very serious issue. The chief of cardiology is driving back from Atlanta to here in Wilmington to look and come up with a plan. We are scared, upset, frustrated and exhausted. Thanks for any thoughts or support.
Sorry to hear this. But at least she is in the right place.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Sorry to learn about this.

However, it is far, far better that this was discovered before her release from hospital so that it can be treated in the right place - a hospital staffed by medical professionals - than the nightmare that would have (not just could have) resulted from this happening at home subsequent to her release.

The very best of luck to you both.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
my sympathies, but, as someone who's been through this, it's good it was discovered now.
I broke my femur ~ 11 years ago, and 4 or so days after surgery (they put a rod and screws in) when I was already home I started to feel some upper chest pain that a painkiller didn't help with, back int the hospital and there it was: PE. Nothing really they can do, they put me on a blood thinner (Xarelto) and sent me back home. I was on Xarelto for ~ 6 months, no after effects, everything fine for 10+ years. I broke my femur mountain biking and after I was off the med, I was man biking again. Part of what helps is regular exercise ...
Just make sure they put her on Xarleto or something equivalent and not that old stuff (I think Cumin or so) that requires bloodwork every so often.
Good luck!

steve123

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2007
Oh dear. As jz0309 pointed out this condition will likely be treated with blood thinners for several months. My 90 year old Mom has CHF and she was diagnosed with a PE last October. They treated it with thinners for three months. Unfortunately, the order to reduce the dose did not make it to her care providers so she continued to receive a high dose after the three month period. She had a fall and hemorrhaged. The night she was admitted to the ER the doctor said she would not make it. But, she is a determined old bird and she pulled through. So, be mindful of avoiding any blunt force trauma during the blood thinner therapy and she should be fine.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

AdamNC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2018
Leland NC
Update. It’s been one hell of a week. On Tuesday my wife had to have the bilateral saddle PE removed. They did it by suction. There was a 50% chance something could go wrong and the procedure could kill her. They got it and she has been off O2 only 20 mins after the procedure. She is doing well in that regard. The infection is being a stubborn SOB. They are going to reopen her back on Saturday clean out the main infection area that is visible on CTs. We are only 5 days from it being a month since the accident. She has been here 21 days. It’s been hell. She is still dealing with severe pain, and worse nerve pain and spasms. They can be brutal. Thanks again.

steve123

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2007
Glad to hear the PE has been (hopefully) resolved and I pray for her recovery from the infection. Please tell her to hang in there and tell yourself too.

Reactions: AdamNC

Easttime

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2015
Positive thoughts help, and there are many coming your way. i offer mine too. Best wishes to she and you.

Reactions: AdamNC
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.