Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
How to sell many more. Apple Watch feature requests:

No iPhone dependency. Ideally, standalone, although it could have Mac dependency.
12 MP camera to read QR-codes and more. Ideally in the crown, telescopic rotating retractable.
Safari as standard visible application (not hidden as now is).

Hessian

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2004
The fact that it still isn't resolved Apple probably has some other approach. The problem is one of the outstanding patents is putting sensors on the wrist.
Wish I could patent "sensors on the wrist". If I could go back in time. I would patent screens on a non-organic surface 🤣

Hessian

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2004

No iPhone dependency. Ideally, standalone, although it could have Mac dependency.
12 MP camera to read QR-codes and more. Ideally in the crown, telescopic rotating retractable.
Totally can't wait to surf websites on my wrist, but I would ask they get a 4 inch display on that puppy. 🤣

ESabis

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2011
There was a lot of talk about switching the band attachment mechanism on the SX and U3. But no reference in this article or in any of the comments? I've been holding off buying a U3 for the new band design. Has that rumor been squelched?

Hessian

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2004
The ultra is marketed as an outdoor watch but Apple know regular consumers will buy it because it’s got better features than the regular watch. The bulbous nature of it is due to it being designed to be rugged and have extra battery life compared to the S series. More about function than looks. So when a regular person wears it in normal situation, yeah it looks dumb. It’s like wearing a diving watch while going to work.
Yeah, Rolex Submariners look so "dumb" when executives wear them to work.;)

Remy149

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2016
So Ultra 3 is basically the same as Ultra 2 which is basically the same as Ultra 1 with a few featured upgrades
Are you expecting a new form factor from year to year. Most people don’t upgrade their watches for 3-4 years. However I have a series 7 and plan to upgrade to either this years ultra or the series x depending on what they announce

Remy149

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2016
It’s weird seeing all the people with watched less then 2 years old upset that there isn’t a need to upgrade yet

Reactions: Razorpit

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
Really hoping for a darker color option this year

I feel like they'll sell a ton of them if they introduce a darker color option.... I personally prefer the silver because I like to dress it up sometimes with metal bands and brown leather.... But from these forums, twitter and reddit I can tell there are a lot of people that would love this watch in black.

Reactions: Razorpit

constantsnags!

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2008
Aotearoa

Yes, that camera would be easily usable when the device locks itself the instant it’s taken off the wrist…a shockingly poor UX. A web browser at that scale would also be totally unusable. Standalone? Yes, eventually (maybe). The other things…? Nope.

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
Tom, sorry to hear what you’re going through. Led the development of hemodialysis graft/fistulae stents to keep accesses from stenosing/occluding. If you’re getting hit with PTA balloons to open your access up on an increasingly frequent basis, might want to talk to your doc about it. They’ll stay open longer.

As someone who’s working on smartwatch IP for BP, I don’t think the first round of BP tech is going to be great or very reliable. Imo Apple has an internal specialty bias problem with the docs working for them which has held up the development of BP tech. But we’ll see.
thx for the info. It has not been an issue ’so far’. I’ve only been on Haemo for little more than a year, having been on Peritoneal for 5.5 years. Moving from a very dry environment to a few km from the ocean with frequent humidities at 100%caused the switch. I’ll keep it in mind.

During a 3.5 hour treatment I get ~16 bp measurements and they allow me to poke around on the computers, believing me when I say I won’t touch anything other than 3/4 screens plus subscreens. I had a bp monitoring watchyears ago and it was flaky.

Tom

Last edited:
Reactions: tazdevl

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
They release annual refresh because each consumer is on a different update path. I don’t understand the obsession with expecting a design to constantly change for something to seem new. I know I want to have a device with the best available specs when it’s the year I’m ready to upgrade and not something that was released over 12 months prior.

Bingo.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
So, basically the AWU 3 is just a software update; buy an AWU 1 or 2 for cheaper instead. Got it.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
So, basically the AWU 3 is just a software update; buy an AWU 1 or 2 for cheaper instead. Got it.

We don’t know yet but if it does have blood pressure monitoring then that’s not a software update, it requires hardware.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
We don’t know yet but if it does have blood pressure monitoring then that’s not a software update, it requires hardware.

The Apple Watch Ultra 3 is expected to have "almost no" new hardware upgrades compared to the Apple Watch Ultra 2, according to Apple supply chain analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. His phrasing suggests that the rumored blood pressure and sleep apnea detection features will be machine learning / software-based, relying on existing sensors.

We’ll need to wait for the launch to be sure, of course.

Reactions: Howard2k

svish

macrumors G4
Nov 25, 2017
Not expecting any major changes for Ultra. Expecting changes only for the 10th anniversary model.

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
It’s killer feature will be to tell the time for more than 5 days 😂
To be honest - if they didn't change a single thing but the battery life - everyone would be happy. It's the SINGLE biggest difference to the COROS/Garmin crew - Apple has pretty much nailed the GPS and heart rate accuracy, but the battery is not enough if you want to run Ultras or do something similar

Reactions: Fuzzball84
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.