Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
What's interesting is that teardowns of the M4 iPad Pros show they actually have 12GB of RAM not 8GB advertised; 2x 6GB RAM modules instead of 2x 4GB (based on the serial numbers off of the physical LPDDR5X chips attached to the SoC).

Supposedly 6GB modules are currently cheaper than 4GB modules so it could be cheaper for Apple to put 12 in the iPad and call it 8 (giving them the option to drop it back down to 8 if the pricing changes, hence why they're not advertising it as 12). Or it could be that Apple is building M4 chips with 12 by default and that 12GB will be the new starting tier for base Macs. While not the jump to 16 most users are hoping for it at least would get us off of 8.
Or it could be that Apple, will have 12 in hardware, but only 6GB available unless you pay the Apple tax.

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
They never left. The M1 Mac mini for $275 lightly used runs circles around the Xserves 😂
yknow, a true core memory of mine on here is one of the top comments in the original iPod announcement thread being about the need for Apple to focus on making its Xserve line better. wild to me that so many people don't grasp how Mac mini has become their de-facto server product at a fraction of the cost.

Reactions: Blackstick

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
incredibly exciting stuff out of both Apple and TSMC. this is the kind of rapid growth I was looking forward to greatly when Apple Silicon was first announced; Apple free from the whims of Intel is a whole other beast.

on the flipside: hey Tim, since yall fumbled the bag *so* hard on this that only the latest, most maxed-out iPhone can run Apple Intelligence—can we get 16GB RAM default on all Macs now?

• Disagree
Reactions: Cervisia and lkrupp

lkrupp

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2004
Great but what happens to Apple’s supply chain when Xi Jinping makes his move on Taiwan? Obviously it’s getting closer and closer to happening. If there’s war do TMSC’s facilities get taken out and by whom?

Reactions: Fomalhaut

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
Okay. so does this challenge Nvidia's H100 and Blackwell chips? Asking for my AAPL shares.

No, this is so Apple won't have to rely on Nvidia for the chips. Apple can optimise the chips for their needs and probably save some money and time.

The Nvidia chips are very expensive and getting them may take a long time unless you pay extra. Also the relationship between Apple and Nvidia hasn't been good for the last 10 years.

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
I don’t understand the article. If “dual use design” means Ultra, does this imply that there won’t be M4 Ultra?

blastdoor

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2022
in 2007 Apple Computer, Inc became Apple, Inc.

Yet today, Apple is more of a “computer” company than they ever were before the name change. Today they design their own CPUs/GPUs, OS, programming languages, developer tools, and now cloud AI servers.

Two big things they do not do themselves are R&D for new chip fabrication technology and manufacturing/assembly. They seem pretty steadfast in their avoidance of manufacturing, but I wonder if they might get into fab process R&D. It might be appealing to them to own some special fab sauce that nobody else has.

switz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
East edge of Phoenix urban sprawl
My Mac mini M2 Pro with 32GB ram, 2TB SSD, 10GB ethernet, 12 core CPU, 19 core GPU is a very competent file server with attached RAID drives. I do have a 10GB ethernet network so transfers of data are at the fastest rate currently available to the public. That is one heck of server for $2,429 (military discount) plus sales tax and Apple Care.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
My Mac mini M2 Pro with 32GB ram, 2TB SSD, 10GB ethernet, 12 core CPU, 19 core GPU is a very competent file server with attached RAID drives. I do have a 10GB ethernet network so transfers of data are at the fastest rate currently available to the public. That is one heck of server for $2,429 (military discount) plus sales tax and Apple Care.

I'm still just blown away they are charging one THOUSAND dollars just for your RAM & SSD upgrades there

(At retail prices, that spec goes from $1699 to $2699, just for the RAM/SSD upgrades)

Manzanito

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2010
incredibly exciting stuff out of both Apple and TSMC. this is the kind of rapid growth I was looking forward to greatly when Apple Silicon was first announced; Apple free from the whims of Intel is a whole other beast.

on the flipside: hey Tim, since yall fumbled the bag *so* hard on this that only the latest, most maxed-out iPhone can run Apple Intelligence—can we get 16GB RAM default on all Macs now?
The mac desktop lineup is updated as (less) frequently as with intel, so…

Reactions: Cervisia

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
No, this is so Apple won't have to rely on Nvidia for the chips. Apple can optimise the chips for their needs and probably save some money and time.

The Nvidia chips are very expensive and getting them may take a long time unless you pay extra. Also the relationship between Apple and Nvidia hasn't been good for the last 10 years.
And it’s smart, NVIDIA and the rest of the AI bubble will have popped by then. That will leave only *profitable* AI businesses intact.

Apple is wholly immune because they weren’t dumb enough to jump on the NVIDIA hype train for hardware. They also are approaching AI in a completely different context (read: useful to *regular people* in their daily lives) than the entire industry.

schneeland

macrumors regular
May 22, 2017
Darmstadt, Germany
Here's hoping the M5 will be based on the 2nm architecture with TSMC Gate All Around structure.

Also hoping by this time 16GB intergrated RAM will be the standard RAM size for the Mac.
I suspect we will get N3P/X for M5 as the cost for N2 will probably again increase significantly and TSMC are only ramping the process up in 2025 (last thing I read was high-volume production in H2 2025 - Anandtech).

16GB RAM as base configuration in the Macs would certainly be appreciated, though (to me it feels like this is overdue).

Reactions: heretiq

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
I suspect we will get N3P/X for M5 as the cost for N2 will probably again increase significantly and TSMC are only ramping the process up in 2025 (last thing I read was high-volume production in H2 2025 - Anandtech).

16GB RAM as base configuration in the Macs would certainly be appreciated, though (to me it feels like this is overdue).
Apple is a direct development partner to TSMC. They literally are the only reason N3 (by way of N3B) was feasible to even produce after everyone else pulled out. Apple’s capital investment in TSMC’s lines make it almost a certainty that they’ll be first in line for each new node because the nodes themselves aren’t economically viable without massive upfront capital investment.

bradman83

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
I don’t understand the article. If “dual use design” means Ultra, does this imply that there won’t be M4 Ultra?
Dual use design means that the components Apple designs can be used for multiple applications. It’s really not specific to the Ultra series.

The bigger point of what Apple might start doing with the M5 series is the use of SoIC packaging technology. Currently Apple uses monolithic SoC dies, meaning a variety of system components are crammed into a single square of silicon (CPU, GPU, NPU, memory controller, Secure Enclave, display controllers, USB/Thunderbolt controllers). For smaller chips like the base M this works fine, but as you start to scale it up the SoC dies get to be quite large. The Max is about as large as is practical to make a single die, hence why the Ultra is basically two Max chips stitched together. But this isn’t ideal because you’re wasting silicon space on those extra controllers you might not need (you don’t need two Secure Enclaves for example).

SoIC means Apple can fabricate all of those SoC components separately and merge them together into a smaller and more efficient package (that performs better than a monolithic die). It also means Apple can more easily customize its chips rather than having to tape out an entirely new die. This is where the “dual use design” comes in. Apple can take CPU, GPU, and NPU tile designs from its consumer chips and create custom packages that are ideal for AI servers (for example lots of CPU and NPU cores but skimping on GPU). Because everything is modular there’s more flexibility when it comes to custom use cases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.