Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macfacts

macrumors 603
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
It should be well known by now that Google like to gimp YouTube in Safari from time to time. That's out of Apple's hands.
If you believe that, why don't you change the browser user agent to something else, so google thinks you're using Chrome. If the problems still exist after changing the user agent, it's a bug in safari.

stinksroundhere

macrumors regular
May 10, 2024
If you believe that,

Google borking YouTube in Safari isn't a belief it is widely reported.

Examples:

On macOS Safari YouTube PiP borked for over a year. Every other website no problem.

On iOS Safari YouTube PiP requires a YouTube subscription.

why don't you change the browser user agent to something else, so google thinks you're using Chrome. If the problems still exist after changing the user agent, it's a bug in safari.

Doesn't work. They detect your OS.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Based on MacRumors, you’d think the Microsoft Surface would be the dominate tablet and the iPad is the worst tablet in the world.

Turning the most succesful tablet in the entire market (iPad) into the worst tablet (Microsoft Surface) makes no sense.

Apple clearly hasn’t lost direction as they have the #1 tablet.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Disclaimer: This are just some random thoughts as an iPad Pro user (for 6 years), and as a Macintosh user (for 14 years). I’m not agreeing with either side, because I’m not a black or white person, I believe life is full of colors (it’s a spectrum) and nuances.

I’m using my M2 iPad Pro with iPadOS 17 right now, as a tablet, and I’m enjoying it a lot. I don’t think there’s a better tablet experience. Buttery smooth, pristine and responsive display, very efficient… As a tablet, it’s great, and probably even better for those who use it for artistic purposes.

However, once I plug it to my external monitor, while the device is quite usable, it doesn’t shine like as when being used as a tablet… because it’s still a tablet. An exceptionally good one, mind you, but if Apple wants to entice a public looking for an hybrid experience, they need to improve the UI a bit more, and allow Mac software to be installed freely from the internet. Only then, It won’t only shine as an exceptional tablet, but also as a multipurpose device. One that you work with on the street, on the bus, on the go -as a tablet-, and then when you get home, you just plug it into your desk setup (monitor + keyboard + mouse/trackpad), and you can use it as your main computer.

But I’m not sure Apple wants that. They much prefer you to get a Mac for your home… However, it doesn’t make much sense to limit that on iPads, if they already have MacBooks that you can use on the go and when you get home, plug them to your desktop setup (monitor + keyboard + mouse/trackpad), and use them as a desktop Mac…

stinksroundhere

macrumors regular
May 10, 2024
However, once I plug it to my external monitor, while the device is quite usable, it doesn’t shine like as when being used as a tablet… because it’s still a tablet. An exceptionally good one, mind you, but if Apple wants to entice a public looking for an hybrid experience, they need to improve the UI a bit more,

The UI will improve but it takes time because iPadOS currently supports 7 years worth of iPads starting from low end models with only 4GB RAM (or is it 2GB?).

If users really want a macOS-like experience the only thing users really need is drop down menus from the menu bar and better free floating windows. That is easily doable on iPadOS without jeopardising the experience for the majority who are happy with the way iPadOS works.

and allow Mac software to be installed freely from the internet.

That is a bad idea as Mac software is not optimal for a tablet and are very resource hungry. Yesterday I deleted 98GB of cached data from After Effects that the app created for unknown reasons. If I wasn't knowledgable about system folders I wouldn't have known why my disk space was shrinking so much. If that kind of application error happened on an iPad it would have been impossible to manually clean up.

Even after deleting that monster cache, my system library right now is 95GB in size including application assets. That's fine on a Mac because apps are data hungry monsters. It's not fine on an iPad.

Mac apps are very big and very resource hungry. They are also 'workhorse' apps like Blender, Maya, After Effects that consume a lot more energy than similar apps on the iPad. That not only means they would make the tablet too warm to handle by hand but that heat would also damage the display.

LCDs and LEDs are very sensitive to heat, it can cause discolouration, warping and eventually permanent damage. That's why the Studio Display and Pro Display XDR have cooling systems to blow out the heat generated by the processors behind the display.

Apple asks iOS and iPadOS developers to optimise their apps so that they do not cause the device to get too warm. They cannot police Mac developers in the same way because Mac apps are run on machines that can handle the heat and don't have a screen sitting directly on a CPU.

Maybe in the far flung future there will be an 'AppleOS' that can transform itself to fit any Apple device, but that kind of thing takes a long time as so many applications from so many developers would need to be updated. Those apps must continue to support older machines for a long time so they can't suddenly have complete rewrites and reboots.

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2022
Based on MacRumors, you’d think the Microsoft Surface would be the dominate tablet and the iPad is the worst tablet in the world.

Turning the most succesful tablet in the entire market (iPad) into the worst tablet (Microsoft Surface) makes no sense.

Apple clearly hasn’t lost direction as they have the #1 tablet.

It’s companies like MS or Qualcomm using third party marketing companies. The marketing companies hire cheap Asian troll factories to spread nonsense on many places around the internet to sabotage new product launches from Apple or any other company they feel threatened by. It’s not real users saying they want to turn the iPad into an Apple Surface clone.

roadkill401

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2015
It’s companies like MS or Qualcomm using third party marketing companies. The marketing companies hire cheap Asian troll factories to spread nonsense on many places around the internet to sabotage new product launches from Apple or any other company they feel threatened by. It’s not real users saying they want to turn the iPad into an Apple Surface clone.

There are lots of real people who think that the iPad could be way better than it is and the limiting factor is the OS that strangles the chip set that could achieve so much more.

YES THE IPAD IS NOT A MAC. and there are quite a few great apps for the iPad that work very well with the PadOS. And nobody is saying that the iPad just sucks. it just could be a whole lot better than it is.

YES, for the cost of the iPad Pro, Apple has strangled the hardware and made a bundle off its terrible design choices. I have heard some say that PadOS is limited by the older iPad models that require an OS but have limited ram inside them to do much more. Well, isn't that Apples fault for releasing how many iPad models with insufficient ram. Its not like as a customer we get a choice in the matter. My first ipad was the original iPad AIR that was the first 64bit chip model and had 1gb ram. and by the time the next itteration of iPad air2 came out they had doubled it to 2gb ram and IOS at the time just about choked the original air making it a paperweight. So it's not like Apple hasn't had experience with what is needed.

Apple could have released the PadOS for the iPad Pro initially and sold these units with adequate ram to make the OS function far better and provide the user interface and software. Then they could have folded in the lower level ipad units bringing them into the professional fold. The cheepest ipad could have just stayed with IOS and that would have been fine. That choice was not taken.

NEPOBABY

Suspended
Jan 10, 2023
iPadOS has more future potential than macOS has. It’s the latter that should follow the direction of the former, as we are already seeing for about 7 years.

• Haha
Reactions: StoneJack

StoneJack

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 19, 2009
Just watched wwdc 2024. They really have no clues what to with ipados. Nothing is improved fundamentally just reiterations of past steps. There is no desktop, no window management. Ipados is more limited than 30 year old Mac os 7.5 in all possible ways. System 7.5 achieved far more and far more efficiently with the meager Motorola chip and few mb of ram than all m4 ipad pros with gbs of ram and memory. it is mind numbing how blind, shortsighted and limited are Tim and Federini in rethinking ipad os. Aside from math notes there was really nothing new in ipad’s new version. Waste of time and money. And yes, there is no way to normally input math equations on pages aside from using some really hideous ways. Word in 1993 was able to do more in math equation input than whole of ipados and all of its apps in 2024

Last edited:

roadkill401

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2015
it looks like they didn't improve the isolationist file system. so everything in a silo and you can't easily take one file from one program and work on it in another. so like take your graphic from ProCreate, throw it into Affinity Designer to put manipulatable text and object boarders. then throw that into Affinity Painter to apply a paper texture and splash on water colour effects to make it look aged. then sent it out as an attachment via Spark as its the only good email app out there.

macmus12

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2022
Just watched wwdc 2024. They really have no clues what to with ipados. Nothing is improved fundamentally just reiterations of past steps. There is no desktop, no window management. Ipados is more limited than 30 year old Mac os 7.5 in all possible ways. System 7.5 achieved far more and far more efficiently with the meager Motorola chip and few mb of ram than all m4 ipad pros with gbs of ram and memory. it is mind numbing how blind, shortsighted and limited are Tim and Federini in rethinking ipad os. Aside from math notes there was really nothing new in ipad’s new version. Waste of time and money. And yes, there is no way to normally input math equations on pages aside from using some really hideous ways. Word in 1993 was able to do more in math equation input than whole of ipados and all of its apps in 2024
you need to start yt channel and get some clicks

Alameda

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2012
The UI will improve but it takes time because iPadOS currently supports 7 years worth of iPads starting from low end models with only 4GB RAM (or is it 2GB?).

If users really want a macOS-like experience the only thing users really need is drop down menus from the menu bar and better free floating windows. That is easily doable on iPadOS without jeopardising the experience for the majority who are happy with the way iPadOS works.

That is a bad idea as Mac software is not optimal for a tablet and are very resource hungry. Yesterday I deleted 98GB of cached data from After Effects that the app created for unknown reasons. If I wasn't knowledgable about system folders I wouldn't have known why my disk space was shrinking so much. If that kind of application error happened on an iPad it would have been impossible to manually clean up.

Even after deleting that monster cache, my system library right now is 95GB in size including application assets. That's fine on a Mac because apps are data hungry monsters. It's not fine on an iPad.

Mac apps are very big and very resource hungry. They are also 'workhorse' apps like Blender, Maya, After Effects that consume a lot more energy than similar apps on the iPad. That not only means they would make the tablet too warm to handle by hand but that heat would also damage the display.

LCDs and LEDs are very sensitive to heat, it can cause discolouration, warping and eventually permanent damage. That's why the Studio Display and Pro Display XDR have cooling systems to blow out the heat generated by the processors behind the display.

Apple asks iOS and iPadOS developers to optimise their apps so that they do not cause the device to get too warm. They cannot police Mac developers in the same way because Mac apps are run on machines that can handle the heat and don't have a screen sitting directly on a CPU.

Maybe in the far flung future there will be an 'AppleOS' that can transform itself to fit any Apple device, but that kind of thing takes a long time as so many applications from so many developers would need to be updated. Those apps must continue to support older machines for a long time so they can't suddenly have complete rewrites and reboots.
But if an application mistakenly cached 95 GB of data on your iPad, you wouldn’t know it and you wouldn’t have a way of deleting it.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
But if an application mistakenly cached 95 GB of data on your iPad, you wouldn’t know it and you wouldn’t have a way of deleting it.

Yes you would. Just delete the app. Since apps are sandboxed in iPadOS deleting the app deletes all its data, including its cache.

On a side note Mac apps from the App Store work similarly now in that their cache data and all their other data is stored in one folder, but that folder isn’t deleted automatically when you delete the app.

Last edited:

H_D

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2021
Yes you would. Just delete the app. Since apps are sandboxed in iPadOS deleting the app deletes all its data, including its cache.

On a side note Mac apps from the App Store work similarly now it that their cache data and all their other data is stored in one folder, but that folder isn’t deleted automatically when you delete the app.
Yeah, but not Adobe. Bridge and AE generate a brickload of Cache-files.
OTOH, if Mac Apps would run on iPad, you could also use tools as CleanMy, Daisy Disk or Onyx to get rid of the garbage. The ipad has the same amount of disk space that the MBA offers

Reactions: Alameda

Alameda

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2012

On a side note Mac apps from the App Store work similarly now in that their cache data and all their other data is stored in one folder, but that folder isn’t deleted automatically when you delete the app.
How do you know? That's my point: You own the device, it belongs to you, but you aren't allowed to browse the files on it.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
How do you know? That's my point: You own the device, it belongs to you, but you aren't allowed to browse the files on it.

There are ways of examining the file system on an iOS device through third party tools on a Mac/PC. You just can’t change it. You can also look at backups.

Also if you have XCode installed on a Mac you can run a simulated device which again you can examine.

Alameda

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2012
There are ways of examining the file system on an iOS device through third party tools on a Mac/PC. You just can’t change it. You can also look at backups.

Also if you have XCode installed on a Mac you can run a simulated device which again you can examine.
Gee, that sounds so easy...

cjsuk

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2024
As an owner of iPad Air 5 I watched introduction of new Air 6 and iPad Pros.
And let me state that Apple just lost completely the direction for iPad OS.
Hardware wise, M1 and M2 and M4 chips are great. Keyboards and Pencil Pro is great too (tad expensive but it always was the case).
However, the iPadOS is a total mess and the turns them iPads into a useless pile of electronics
1. iPad OS is more limited than Mac OS 7.5. Yes, it is that bad, it is worse than 30 year old OS. It can't do any of simple things like that OS used to do easily. For example: it can't eject USB drives. Huh? It can't even save a file on a desktop because there is no a desktop. Attaching files to email is circus because you can't keep files on desktop or anywhere else behind Files.
2. Files is useless
3. Sound management is non-existent.
4. File management and window management is non existent.
5. iPad is an expensive toy with no real work applications. Even if they are, they are severely limited in their functionality.
6. Using mouse on iPad is mess. Generally iPadOS should be renamed to iToyOS.

Most importantly, Apple had more than a decade to make a functional iPadOS. Yet, they barely moved ahead from time of first iPad in terms of OS functionality.

Some comments as a user of an M2 iPad Pro.

1. Ejecting USB drives is a problem. Definitely. But only on ExFAT volumes. If you have an external disk with APFS on it, it's absolutely fine. As for saving files on the desktop, good! Do you cover your desk in paper and have to dig through it every time you want to do something? Nope. Not had any problems with email attachments.

2. I have no problems with it really. It's limited in functionality but I move files around with it all the time with no issues between removable storage, iCloud, local storage, apps, everything. Also it basically has Preview built in and supports multiple windows so you can switch around multiple documents if you know what you are doing.

3. This I don't get. My iPad is regularly used as a synthesizer plugged into my digital piano. It seamlessly picks up the MIDI and the audio out and routes it all through the keyboard itself. Works wonderfully well, as does switching my airpods between this and other devices, zoom calls, all sorts.

4. You've been through file management. Window management was terrible but it rapidly improved a couple of releases ago. I regularly use it in tiled mode fine.

5. As for work applications, perhaps not for your work applications, but there is for mine. For example I spend a good chunk of the day in Goodnotes which is not something I can replicate anywhere else at all. Then there's the superior video conf camera, audio hardware which is again absolutely top.

6. I don't use a mouse with it.

This is just another "I want a mac in an iPad thread". It's an iPad. It's different. Which is fine. If you don't like it, sell the damn thing and buy a macbook. But for me, I can't draw or write on a macbook on a plane. I don't want this to be any different. I want it to stay exactly as it is.

• Haha

Alameda

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2012
Some comments as a user of an M2 iPad Pro.

1. Ejecting USB drives is a problem. Definitely. But only on ExFAT volumes. If you have an external disk with APFS on it, it's absolutely fine. As for saving files on the desktop, good! Do you cover your desk in paper and have to dig through it every time you want to do something? Nope. Not had any problems with email attachments.

2. I have no problems with it really. It's limited in functionality but I move files around with it all the time with no issues between removable storage, iCloud, local storage, apps, everything. Also it basically has Preview built in and supports multiple windows so you can switch around multiple documents if you know what you are doing.

3. This I don't get. My iPad is regularly used as a synthesizer plugged into my digital piano. It seamlessly picks up the MIDI and the audio out and routes it all through the keyboard itself. Works wonderfully well, as does switching my airpods between this and other devices, zoom calls, all sorts.

4. You've been through file management. Window management was terrible but it rapidly improved a couple of releases ago. I regularly use it in tiled mode fine.

5. As for work applications, perhaps not for your work applications, but there is for mine. For example I spend a good chunk of the day in Goodnotes which is not something I can replicate anywhere else at all. Then there's the superior video conf camera, audio hardware which is again absolutely top.

6. I don't use a mouse with it.

This is just another "I want a mac in an iPad thread". It's an iPad. It's different. Which is fine. If you don't like it, sell the damn thing and buy a macbook. But for me, I can't draw or write on a macbook on a plane. I don't want this to be any different. I want it to stay exactly as it is.
They can add more features, like effective Copy/Paste, without removing functionality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.