Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StoneJack

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 19, 2009
As an owner of iPad Air 5 I watched introduction of new Air 6 and iPad Pros.
And let me state that Apple just lost completely the direction for iPad OS.
Hardware wise, M1 and M2 and M4 chips are great. Keyboards and Pencil Pro is great too (tad expensive but it always was the case).
However, the iPadOS is a total mess and the turns them iPads into a useless pile of electronics
1. iPad OS is more limited than Mac OS 7.5. Yes, it is that bad, it is worse than 30 year old OS. It can't do any of simple things like that OS used to do easily. For example: it can't eject USB drives. Huh? It can't even save a file on a desktop because there is no a desktop. Attaching files to email is circus because you can't keep files on desktop or anywhere else behind Files.
2. Files is useless
3. Sound management is non-existent.
4. File management and window management is non existent.
5. iPad is an expensive toy with no real work applications. Even if they are, they are severely limited in their functionality.
6. Using mouse on iPad is mess. Generally iPadOS should be renamed to iToyOS.

Most importantly, Apple had more than a decade to make a functional iPadOS. Yet, they barely moved ahead from time of first iPad in terms of OS functionality.

Last edited:

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Hardware wise, M1 and M2 and M4 chips are great. Keyboards and Pencil Pro is great too (tad expensive but it always was the case).
However, the iPadOS is a total mess and the turns them iPads into a useless pile of electronics
1. iPad OS is more limited than Mac OS 7.5. Yes, it is that bad, it is worse than 30 year old OS. It can't do any of simple things like that OS used to do easily. For example: it can't eject USB drives. Huh? It can't even save a file on a desktop because there is no a desktop. Attaching files to email is circus because you can't keep files on desktop or anywhere else behind Files.
2. Files is useless
5. iPad is an expensive toy with no real work applications. Even if they are, they are severely limited in their functionality.

Most importantly, Apple had more than a decade to make a functional iPadOS. Yet, they barely moved ahead from time of first iPad in terms of OS functionality.
I can't disagree with this assessment. These issues don't bother me on the iPad mini, which honestly feels perfect for iPadOS. But on anything larger and/or more substantial (especially when you factor in the cost of a keyboard attachment taking an iPad Air, let alone an iPad Pro into MacBook Air territory, cost wise) and it just seems like the wrong software for the hardware. I don't want macOS on an iPad. But I do feel like Apple could very well produce a more advanced touch-first operating system more befitting of both (a) The M-series SoCs and the performance they bring with them and (b) the kinds of computing experiences that Apple wants us to have with iPads in general.

macmus12

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2022
ipados would be perfect if it was able to run macos software and get us admin access to run terminal for real programing. If you could install 3rd party like you can on macos, it would quickly surpass macos imho.
Right now because apple keep it completly close we are all slaves to next updates from apple..

StoneJack

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 19, 2009
I watched few Apple ads. It is not a surprise that every time they show us an iPad working as a "computer", someone running the iPad is a kid on a tree drawing a diagram or a young woman painting a Picasso picture. Because for everything else, it is unusable as a work tool. Imagine having an impact driver, with fastest brushless motor out there but is severely limited in choice of tools it can utilize, the ways it can utilize the tools and even where it can be stored and costs premium. Thats iPad for you. Can you have things done? Yes, but at cost of time and then why you would need such a limited tool..

ryguyMN

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2023
I agree that Apple hasn’t figured out how to make the iPad more than just a media consumption device. It’s geared more towards drawing and video editing, but trying to edit spreadsheets and doing productivity on it is laborious.

Reactions: StoneJack

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
I’ve been using the iPad since the beginning. Pencil and iPad Pro came out? I jumped on them.

To me, having a functional electronic pencil is a computing paradigm shift, not unlike the shock that someone may have experienced when encountering a GUI the first time.

I’ve been using the iPad/pencil to monitor, track and manage my kidney failure/dialysis.
-record all my blood pressures/pulses during treatment
-record all of my weights and fluid intake
-in conjunction with my Apple Watch, I use ’Just Press Record’, ‘Calendars 5’ and more
-keep track of all my medications(changes)
-when Grand Rounds (nephrologist, nurse, pharmacist, social worker & dietitian) happen once a month, I’m taking notes, recording audio and looking up references and items the health care team is mentioning.

I wouldn’t want to do this with a laptop (Macbook), and although I bring my Magic Keyboard with me alongside my iPad Pro into dialysis - it just proves too cumbersome to use and I much prefer the tablet.

And by the time I get home all of my notes and data has already been iClouded and I can look at it with monitor, keyboard, mouse, MacOS.

Op: I respectfully disagree with you, although I do note that my use case tends to be very specific

And then PDF editing, all my signing of legal documents since 2018 > iPad Pro/Pencil and I managed to buy a house over the internet during Covid and move 1/2 way across North America all w/iPad.

During college (engineering, biochemistry, pharmacology) I would have *KILLED* to have possessed such comoutational power/capability. I had a Powerbook 150, but...nah.

Tom

(just found out that editing and tagging/annotating hiking trail maps is very enjoyable on the iPad).

edit: Had a chance to buy either a new Mac Studio or iPad Pro/pencil at a good price. I chose the latter so now have the utility of two iPad Pros. Being able to stream my Cable TV subscriptions - also priceless, again, esp during dialysis.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alameda

Alameda

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2012
2. Files is useless

I agree with you.
I purchased a Gen 4 iPad Pro last November, thinking that I could use it to edit RAW photos, and it’s been a terrible productivity tool. At least the Files App has stopped locking up the iPad; that’s good.

I think that the iPad is excellent at what it does, but it’s also badly and unnecessarily software handcuffed by Apple. The new iPad Pros cost around $2,000 fully outfitted and they could make exceptional laptop computers, but the OS is holding them back from doing tasks which are very basic on other laptop platforms.

Put another way, as gross as it sounds: A Windows tablet is a far better productivity tool than any iPad. Steve Jobs would NEVER allow that.

• Love
Reactions: StoneJack

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
ipados would be perfect if it was able to run macos software and get us admin access to run terminal for real programing. If you could install 3rd party like you can on macos, it would quickly surpass macos imho.
Right now because apple keep it completly close we are all slaves to next updates from apple..
I share your opinion. I’m good with iPadOS, but if I was allowed to download and install third party apps like on a Mac, with the easy notarization system… the iPad would replace my Mac.

Being able to install Handbrake and a couple more of open source apps, I don’t think I would need macOS anymore… and many more people are in my same position.

Here we go again... don’t you get tired of posting the same threads over and over again?
I didn’t know they posted about this previously, although yes, it is a recurrent topic here in the forum, along with the base macs with 8GB of RAM. They are slowly becoming the new MR meme like the snappy Safari one.

BUT, to be fair, even Marques Brownlee (@mkbhd) complains about iPadOS, limiting such a powerful, gorgeous and versatile hardware like the new M4 iPad Pro. And he’s not the only one. More and more voices from the tech media are louder, asking Apple to open its hand a bit more regarding iPadOS. And, as I said, allowing the install of macOS apps from the web would be the biggest leap functionality.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
If Apple allowed the same freedom to develop software for iPadOS as they do with macOS then developers would have already solved many of the deficiencies in the current iPadOS. Apple should create a developer mode that allows developers to have the same access to iPadOS as Mac developers have to macOS. Then allowing installing for everyone outside the App Store or reducing the rigid rules for App Store apps would allow normal users to install much more powerful applications than are currently possible.

Unfortunately I doubt Apple would be interested in doing this. So they essentially get no help from developers outside of Apple. This slows down change a lot since the source of inspiration comes mostly from inside Apple.

Reactions: Alameda and Populus

stinksroundhere

macrumors regular
May 10, 2024
2. Files is useless

Files can be better.

However, the thousands of amazing things creatives are doing and sharing on Instagram and the millions of students who use the iPad to study on would disagree with your posts.

They are busy doing great things and don't have time to wail on a forum like this. They don't even know forums like this exist because they are being productive.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Unless Apple kills off the Mac, which they won’t do, there’s no reason for them to make the iPad into a Mac as it would cannibalize Mac sales.

Though at this point an iPad costs more than a Mac does so it is kind of obnoxious that the iPad is limited.

Reactions: Populus

roadkill401

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2015
I have problems with even the most basic tasks like cut and paste between one window and another. If you can’t even get cut/paste done right then how the hell do you even call it an actual OS? Moving a cursor around the screen without using a pencil can seem a point in frustration.

I have an iPad Pro 11” circa 2017 I think and know it willl likely be my last one I pay for. I just bought a MacBook as it can do everything that the iPad can and then some .

Reactions: Alameda

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I have an iPad Pro 11” circa 2017 I think and know it willl likely be my last one I pay for. I just bought a MacBook as it can do everything that the iPad can and then some .

Everything? You can’t use the pencil on a MacBook for those who like the pencil capabilities. The MacBook doesn’t have a touch screen for those who prefer that option. Can’t use apps in the same way for those who enjoy certain types of games or apps.

Sure, there are things you can do on a MacBook that you can’t on an iPad, but there are also things you can do on an iPad that you can’t do on a MacBook. Different people have different preferences.

Reactions: Ludatyk and Iwavvns

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2023
Earth
2. Files is useless

1. Why are you comparing iPadOS to macOS? They were never meant to be equivalent operating systems with equivalent features and use cases. If they were meant to be equivalent, then one of them would never have been created.
2. The Files app works quite well when you understand the system and use it the way it was intended to be used.
3. I cannot comment on this as I am hearing impaired.. you may be entirely correct.
4. Again, file management works perfectly well when you use it the way it was intended to be used.
5. This appears to be over generalization simply because it doesn’t work the way you think it should work.
6. I use a Logitech keyboard and mouse, and I have had no issues.

I have an iPad 9th gen and it works perfectly well for spreadsheets, documents, notes, email, web browsing, calendar work, file management and reading. If you buy a bicycle and expect it to perform like an automobile, then your disappointment is self-inflicted. Our expectations can be our own worst enemy.

mike.coulter

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2008
I'm not sure what most people use their iPads for, but for me it's primarily for mobile media consumption and easy news browsing on the settee. iPadOS seems just fine for that.

macfacts

macrumors 603
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
I share your opinion. I’m good with iPadOS, but if I was allowed to download and install third party apps like on a Mac, with the easy notarization system… the iPad would replace my Mac.

Being able to install Handbrake and a couple more of open source apps, I don’t think I would need macOS anymore… and many more people are in my same position.

I didn’t know they posted about this previously, although yes, it is a recurrent topic here in the forum, along with the base macs with 8GB of RAM. They are slowly becoming the new MR meme like the snappy Safari one.

BUT, to be fair, even Marques Brownlee (@mkbhd) complains about iPadOS, limiting such a powerful, gorgeous and versatile hardware like the new M4 iPad Pro. And he’s not the only one. More and more voices from the tech media are louder, asking Apple to open its hand a bit more regarding iPadOS. And, as I said, allowing the install of macOS apps from the web would be the biggest leap functionality.
You can't have some open source apps because of Apple's app store rules (not because the iPad is not fast enough or any UI/interface designs), https://stackoverflow.com/questions...patible-with-the-apples-iphone-and-its-offici

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
You can't have some open source apps because of Apple's app store rules (not because the iPad is not fast enough or any UI/interface designs), https://stackoverflow.com/questions...patible-with-the-apples-iphone-and-its-offici
Yeah, that’s why I’m asking a more open system, like macOS, being able to download and install apps freely from GitHub or other websites.

I know I won’t find those apps on the App Store. On my Mac, I barely use the App Store to be fair.

profdraper

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I’m no fan of Apple really (especially in the last decade or so post-Jobs) but … I have to say that iPadOS 17.5 with a keyboard is something of a revelation to me - now with a 13” iPad Pro & matching Magic Keyboard (tho’ you certainly need to have significant amounts of disposable income to support Apple’s greed, eh?).

In any case, this one is ’close’ to replacing my favourite daily driver, an Asus touch screen laptop. The Magic Keyboard - or any half decent keyboard, like the ESR for example - plugging in drives, accessing network & NAS, File system, printing & scanning etc all good here. The keyboard ‘opens’ it up and makes so much more clearer than swiping away on the touch iPad only.

Awaiting iPadOS 18 shortly & expecting a few more useful tweaks than any interest in more AI. The only real bugbears I have with it now include:

Still dreadful implementation of selecting text & and/or inserting cursor (does everything but what you want exactly, a bit nutty & time-wasting;

Safari is regularly dreadful, erroring, not displaying correctly, not loading sites ect - regularly requires flushing the cache & history to re-set it & this requires navigation elsewhere rather than providing in-browser. For whatever reason, this is far, far worse than the MacOS version. Main solution seems to be to use Edge or Firefox, whatever. But Safari seems to be the only one on iPadOS that provides constant visual access to bookmarks.

Oh yeah - what is it with Safari & YouTube? Just dreadful, suppendly skips back to the beginning, or hangs forever, or not to mention the dreadful relationship with plugins and supposed ‘ad-blocking’. Really primitive this one.

Alameda

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2012
Unless Apple kills off the Mac, which they won’t do, there’s no reason for them to make the iPad into a Mac as it would cannibalize Mac sales.

Though at this point an iPad costs more than a Mac does so it is kind of obnoxious that the iPad is limited.
So Apple would rather sell you a $750 MacBook Air than a $2,000 iPad Pro?

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Okay, respectfully, this is a bit fallacious.

The iPad Pro isn’t a $2,000 device. It’s $1,000 for the average people buying the 8GB/256GB model, which is also the storage and RAM on base MacBook Air with an older Apple Silicon you’re comparing it with.

But not only that. If Apple decides to give the iPad Pro a more complex UI, a macOS-like interface, with the same versatility that macOS offers, then it will be supported, at least, by M2 and M4 powered iPads. And probably by M1 iPads as well.

So you can effectively choose between a $600 iPad Air + $150 SmartKeyboard Folio, or a $750 MacBook Air, for the same price.

If both devices did the same, in the same ways, I could see how cannibalization could occur. Having different operating systems, that are improved year after year, but with a slightly different approach (to entice users have both devices), is what Apple wants, I think.

stinksroundhere

macrumors regular
May 10, 2024
Oh yeah - what is it with Safari & YouTube? Just dreadful, suppendly skips back to the beginning, or hangs forever, or not to mention the dreadful relationship with plugins and supposed ‘ad-blocking’. Really primitive this one.

It should be well known by now that Google like to gimp YouTube in Safari from time to time. That's out of Apple's hands.

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2023
Earth
Google didn't create YouTube. Like many other Google products, Google bought YouTube. Google is like a child who found a wonderful toy and, without fully understanding how it works, goes about replicating it and trying to make a living off of it - this is why Google products are such a cesspool.

stinksroundhere

macrumors regular
May 10, 2024

Speaking for myself I have three Macs, an iPad Pro and a PC laptop.

Each device serves its own purpose. One Mac is for workhorse apps that need a strong CPU and GPU and a fan to keep them cool. One Mac is for light weight portability and office work. One Mac is an older machine I keep in case a new machine breaks. One PC is for apps that are more mature on Windows and my Steam library. The iPad is for scribbling and sketching on when my back is too tired to sit at my desk with the Wacom tablet.

A do it all machine can't cover these use cases. It wouldn't work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.