Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

afd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
Anyone use AirPods Pro as ear defenders when using machinery? I was thinking about something like a set of IsoTunes or 3M WorkTunes but would AirPods Pro be able to reduce the noise to safe levels?

someone33

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
Depends how loud the environment is but they will definitely perform better than earplugs. The Bose quiet comfort 2 earbuds are a better choice though if you want the best noise cancelling performance in an earbud.

Reactions: john905r

Weldor7

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2020
At least the first Gen were no good in a welding shop. Couldn't block out the grinders. But it helped with the air compressor a little. And the aftermarket foam tips did help a bit too. But they got filthy real quick, and the magnets on everything these days destroys electronics if you work around metal.

I've heard real good things about the iso tunes though

afd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
Thanks for reply. It’s mostly wood working I’d need it for, router and circular saw probably noisiest. I’ll probably go down the Bluetooth ear defender route, I’ve done enough damage to hearing over the years.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
I dunno, I wouldn't equate noise suppression from proper hearing protection to headphones with ANC.
Although I guess it would depend on environment. ie they would probably perform better with consistent loud background noise (like say pushing a lawnmower) vs sudden loud noises (like a shooting range).

But I would just go with something purpose designed (like ear protection with BT built in)

FyerFyer

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2015
No. They are Bluetooth headphones. Have them in for extended periods of time and the frequency of your ears will become completely naffed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.