Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I think McLaren made a mistake with putting Norris on Softs instead of fresh Mediums. Max is making hay with his fresh Hards and if he is on a full dry setup, he will only get faster.

Reactions: pachyderm

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Lewis wins!

First driver to take 9 wins at a single track. First driver to win after 300 starts. Oldest driver to win a race.

The Old Dog still has tricks!

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
What a race to remind everyone he’s still got it! Get in there Lewis!! 9 British GP victories, 104 race wins!!

Great drive by Lando too, just a poor choice of tyre for him in the last stint, should have gone hard. Lewis picked the right tyre for him though.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
What a race to remind everyone he’s still got it! Get in there Lewis!! 9 British GP victories, 104 race wins!!

Great drive by Lando too, just a poor choice of tyre for him in the last stint, should have gone hard. Lewis picked the right tyre for him though.

Lando had fresh Mediums available, so I presume he made the call to go to Softs, which was a mistake. He also slid into his pits, which cost him two seconds.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Yeah I am so happy for Lewis, even if a Lando win would have been better for the WDC chase.

And yeah, if there is a way to mess up the strategy, Ferrari will find a way. I had hoped Frédéric Vasseur would purge Ferrari of that habit, but not yet.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Lando being very critical of his decision making in his interview, but showing the fire needed. He’s right that others were better under pressure but this is something he will get better at. He’s new to fighting at the front and the likes of Lewis and Max are well accustomed to this sort of pressure and it showed. He fought well I thought and him and Oscar reminded us again of the generation to come.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Lando being very critical of his decision making in his interview, but showing the fire needed. He’s right that others were better under pressure but this is something he will get better at. He’s new to fighting at the front and the likes of Lewis and Max are well accustomed to this sort of pressure and it showed. He fought well I thought and him and Oscar reminded us again of the generation to come.
BECAUSE HE'S AN IDIOT! THE WHOLE TEAM ARE A BUNCH OF IDIOTS!
AAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

Aaaaahhhhhhhh there I said it, rant over.

Proceed

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Yeah I am so happy for Lewis, even if a Lando win would have been better for the WDC chase.

And yeah, if there is a way to mess up the strategy, Ferrari will find a way. I had hoped Frédéric Vasseur would purge Ferrari of that habit, but not yet.
Well done Lewie, well done.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN

I really enjoyed it.

My favorite part was when I turned to my wife and said, "Lando is going to make a stupid mistake and lose a race he should win..."

She said, "How?"...

Then they came over the radio and gave him a tire choice ... :rolleyes:

I said, "That's how...'

lol.

• Haha
Reactions: diggy33

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I really enjoyed it.

My favorite part was when I turned to my wife and said, "Lando is going to make a stupid mistake and lose a race he should win..."

She said, "How?"...

Then they came over the radio and gave him a tire choice ... :rolleyes:

I said, "That's how...'

lol.
I’m not sure he’d have won whatever choice he made. Lewis is a demon in mixed conditions.

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
Gee what does Pastry have to do to get a decent... Zak lost his nerve? Man the Monday debrief is going to be tense, that is worth paying pay per view for... A complete no brainer double stack, but they goofed, F1 needs more than 1 pitstop per team per race, this was a great race... Would Lewis held of some bloke from the EU in a dark colored car, doubtful if there was more laps left..

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Gee what does Pastry have to do to get a decent... Zak lost his nerve? Man the Monday debrief is going to be tense, that is worth paying pay per view for... A complete no brainer double stack, but they goofed, F1 needs more than 1 pitstop per team per race, this was a great race... Would Lewis held of some bloke from the EU in a dark colored car, doubtful if there was more laps left..
Why not just say his name and country? He wouldn't have held off Max in the Red Bull with one more lap, perhaps two maximum. But that is what impressed me with Lewis, despite his tires and the inevitable, and still getting good points being 2nd. He took the risk based on his experience and driving skills and went for it, seriously went for it. He knew how many laps, he knew the gains Max was making, but the instinct of a winner like Lewis and Max is to win. And that is what Lewis did. That is to be celebrated and acknowledged in my opinion, whatifs don't matter, the result matters.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
This GP is the type fans want to see because it involves more than just driving round a track seeing who has the fastest car, this GP involved strategies and tactics due to the weather, tyre choice, when to pit, when to push and not to push due to the wetness/dryness of the track. Yes you have strategies and tactics when just driving around a dry track BUT when inclement weather is involved it's a whole different ball game. Hamilton has always been very good in this type of race conditions and it showed. That will probably be his only win this season with it returning to the Max winning again show.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

Zak hasn’t lost his nerve. He’s simply not the Manager people believe he is. I’ve never subscribed to the Zak Hype Train and never will. He is constantly throwing crap on the wall to see what sticks when he should focus on the decisions being made by Stella.

ppeterson

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2016
When Lewis Hamilton was winning all the time it was because he was the best driver in the world. But when Max Verstappen started winning more then Lewis it was because Max had a better car (according to Lewis). LeClerc - too whiny. Same for Ricciardo; and disloyal too. Lando Norris - awesome young man. Sainz - go get 'em. Perez - don't know what to think. Alonso - can't help liking him. Gasly - hang in there kid, you'll be the man some day.

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
When Lewis Hamilton was winning all the time it was because he was the best driver in the world. But when Max Verstappen started winning more then Lewis it was because Max had a better car (according to Lewis). LeClerc - too whiny. Same for Ricciardo; and disloyal too. Lando Norris - awesome young man. Sainz - go get 'em. Perez - don't know what to think. Alonso - can't help liking him. Gasly - hang in there kid, you'll be the man some day.
Lewis was never the best driver at the time, never was a great driver, never will break into the top 100 of all F1 drivers, he is average, he only won through the efforts of others that will never have the pleasure of champange and millions of Dollars.. Lewis has never and will never acknowledge he is 1 part of the machine... He only won because of others, he would often win in spite of his own belief.. This last win, Lewis had no belief he could do it.. Others did.. Lewis is average, the number of wins, he lost to a bloke in the same set up.. Lewis lost "21" cause Lewis approved the placement of a button.. that he goofed using in Baku..

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Lewis was never the best driver at the time, never was a great driver, never will break into the top 100 of all F1 drivers, he is average, he only won through the efforts of others that will never have the pleasure of champange and millions of Dollars.. Lewis has never and will never acknowledge he is 1 part of the machine... He only won because of others, he would often win in spite of his own belief.. This last win, Lewis had no belief he could do it.. Others did.. Lewis is average, the number of wins, he lost to a bloke in the same set up.. Lewis lost "21" cause Lewis approved the placement of a button.. that he goofed using in Baku..

I’m surprised Lewis even made it to F1 he’s so rubbish. Taxi driver would be a stretch for him I’d say…

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
I am not saying he is terrible, but the list of all time drivers since 1950 is long, Lewis won in an era of 1 car championships, to be fair Bottas was nowhere near as good as Nico, Nico beat Lewis, as soon as the regulations change, Lewis is no longer competitive, the win was not down to car, or driver, it was more Brackley PHD's then Lewis..Lewis might never have won a title or a race had he raced in the 70's to the late 1990's.. Number of wins in a useless metric.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.