Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeremz1ne

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2023
Reno,Nv
Well I wouldn't call them failures. They've mostly had winning records and made the playoffs.

The RAIDERS, that is what failure looks like.
The Raiders are a failure for sure... i mean look what they had going and then wanted a "big" name coach they ruined that team and sent them backwards when they clearly were going upwards

Reactions: pachyderm

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Well I wouldn't call them failures. They've mostly had winning records and made the playoffs.

The RAIDERS, that is what failure looks like.

True. But going by expectations, I doubt few have realistically expected the Raiders to contend for a championship in recent years.

FWIW, preseason odds for the SB champ last year had the Cowboys 6th, and the Raiders 19th.

San Francisco ranked 3rd, and despite their loaded roster, and repeated playoff visits, still haven't claimed a ring in 30 years, which could be construed as a failure as well.

In MLB, the Dodgers added Ohtani, a generational talent, to their existing arsenal. Anything less than WS championship would be construed as failure by a many.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
True. But going by expectations, I doubt few have realistically expected the Raiders to contend for a championship in recent years.

FWIW, preseason odds for the SB champ last year had the Cowboys 6th, and the Raiders 19th.

San Francisco ranked 3rd, and despite their loaded roster, and repeated playoff visits, still haven't claimed a ring in 30 years, which could be construed as a failure as well.

In MLB, the Dodgers added Ohtani, a generational talent, to their existing arsenal. Anything less than WS championship would be construed as failure by a many.
Oh yeah. I get all that. But just assuming a team will win it all based on the names written on a piece of paper... that borders on hubris... right?

It happens though, for a long stretch most of us just assumed the Pats would win it all, and they did quite often.

Seems unfair to me to judge a team a failure if they don't win it all. Only one team each season will achieve that pinnacle.

For me I base it on wins, .500 to me is successful especially if said team has been struggling for wins, a la THE RAIDERS.

But, yes, I get it.

Reactions: TheIntruder

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Being the geniuses the NFL are, they scheduled a game in Brazil in a region where there is a green-clad gang causing issues. The authorities ask visiting sports teams to not wear green colors, in order to avoid problems. So what teams did they schedule for that game? The Eagles and the Packers.

/smh

bmwguy904

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2019
Reactions: pachyderm

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Per reports, Bill Belichick is dating a 24 year old former cheerleader. Because...he's Bill Belichick.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Trevor Lawrence, 5 years, $275 million.

Lawrence has been decent, but not Mahomes/Allen/Jackson money good. But it shows how desperate teams are to keep even decent QBs.

Keep in mind though that this contract doesn't begin until 2026. So who knows what the QB market will look like then. Might be a great deal for the team.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.