Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

landonalder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2022
Those of you who are planning on upgrading this year, does the rumored increased dimensions make you consider switching from a pro max to a pro or vice versa?

What is everyone planning on getting?

I have a 15 pro max but am considering a 16 pro because I think 6.3” might be the sweet spot size wise for me. I can’t imagine a larger phone than my max

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I made that decision with the 15 Pro, the Pro Max was already too large so I sacrificed the 5X zoom.

The decision will be easier with the 16, based on rumors the cameras will be more on-par between the Pro & Pro Max.

Titus

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2009
I'll probably get the Pro Max. I'm giving my 14 Pro Max to a friend who hates his Samsung. I like the larger size.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
With a Loopy case, size doesn’t matter. The bigger the better except when carrying it in a pocket

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
I bought 15 pro because it is the smallest and lightest. It is 187gr and much better than 240gr of 14PM.

But I didn’t realize how much bulk is added by glass and case. Torras screen protector 14gr, silicone case 28gr.

Now my 15 pro weighs 229gr or equal in weight to bare bones 15PM.

So there is that - i could probably could handle PM but it needs to be no case and no glass.

i-Liam

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2016
16 pro max. The regular pro has always had awful battery life in comparison to the pro max models.

yabeweb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2021
How can people k ow without having data s beyond me….lets wait September before “making decisions”

Reactions: kitKAC

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
For some there might not be any yet-to-be-revealed information that would change their mind from, say, Pro Max to Pro. If they want the biggest screen, that's the way to go for instance.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
For some there might not be any yet-to-be-revealed information that would change their mind from, say, Pro Max to Pro. If they want the biggest screen, that's the way to go for instance.
I think most of us are in the "Biggest screen available" vs. "Most compact available" camps. Personally, I like the Pro.

But yeah, there could be something that would convince me, I suppose. It wasn't the 5x zoom on the 15. But I suppose something could ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: LionTeeth

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2016
Not decided yet. I went from 14P to 15PM, I might drop a size again unless there’s a change in the OS that lets me optimise the real estate.

landonalder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2022
@ctjack I’ve tried to use my pro max without a case multiple times and always after a few days I put one back on just because of how it’s big enough to easily slip out of pockets and the fact that I only feel comfortable holding it with both hands caseless. It is annoying having the extra weight of the protection but with the max it almost feels like it’s even more necessary due to the size

Reactions: ctjack

AlexJ092

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
I have used a Plus/Max since the iPhone 6. Apart from the iPhone X I have always had a larger phone! But this year I am considering moving over to the 16 pro.

Reactions: yaboid01

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
But I didn��t realize how much bulk is added by glass and case.
Personally, I'm in the "Go Naked" camp. Adding a bulky cases.... eh, some people like 'em, personally I don't.

Adding a sheet of glass over the existing sheet of glass, never made the slightest bit of sense to me. I firmly believe having that glass there won't affect the "Actual" glass breaking or not breaking - if it hits hard enough to break the phone, the glass in front of it won't do squat. If it hits not hard enough to break the phone, then you either have an intact phone, or an intact phone with an ugly broken glass cover over it 🧐

I suppose the argument could be made about scratch-resistance but again, I don't see the "Value" in having an ugly scratched-up glass sitting on top of my phone.

• Haha
Reactions: Chidoro

landonalder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2022
The main reason I’d use a screen protector is scratch prevention. The case is for protecting my screen from cracking from a fall.

Once the screen protector gets scratched your replace it with another for $25 vs having to replace your screen for 10x the cost

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2016
Unlike others, not really excited about the increased size of the Pro Max from 6.7 to 6.9. 3mm additional in height is a good amount.

However, I also can’t see myself downgrading to the 6.3in regular Pro and miss out on the battery and possibly camera advantage the 16 Pro Max will have.

I guess i’ll just have to give up being able to reach the control center / dynamic island with one hand :/

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
The main reason I’d use a screen protector is scratch prevention. The case is for protecting my screen from cracking from a fall.

Once the screen protector gets scratched your replace it with another for $25 vs having to replace your screen for 10x the cost
Yeah, I hear that argument… just doesn’t hold water for me. You’ve got (a) the hassle of applying the protector; (b) the ugliness of the protector itself (subjective HOW ugly it is but I’ve never seen one look as good as naked); (c) the cost of the protector.

My solution is, I have AppleCare+. Yeah, it won’t cover a small scratch but heck, even if I crack the screen 😉 it’s only $4 more than your screen protector to fix, good as new!

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
Personally, I'm in the "Go Naked" camp. Adding a bulky cases.... eh, some people like 'em, personally I don't.

Adding a sheet of glass over the existing sheet of glass, never made the slightest bit of sense to me. I firmly believe having that glass there won't affect the "Actual" glass breaking or not breaking - if it hits hard enough to break the phone, the glass in front of it won't do squat. If it hits not hard enough to break the phone, then you either have an intact phone, or an intact phone with an ugly broken glass cover over it 🧐

I suppose the argument could be made about scratch-resistance but again, I don't see the "Value" in having an ugly scratched-up glass sitting on top of my phone.
So back in the day, iPhone’s screen was not so shatterproof but it was actually scratch resistant. Those screens (iphone 11 and lower or maybe 12) do not have deep scratches.

Lately they “improved” shatterproof parameter by “2-3x” since iPhone 12-13, and now they lack scratch resistance. Our 13 and 14 pro maxes caught scratch on day 3 in the pocket. It is annoying because it can be seen under all light conditions and can be touched with fingers.
Yeah, I hear that argument… just doesn’t hold water for me. You’ve got (a) the hassle of applying the protector; (b) the ugliness of the protector itself (subjective HOW ugly it is but I’ve never seen one look as good as naked); (c) the cost of the protector.

My solution is, I have AppleCare+. Yeah, it won’t cover a small scratch but heck, even if I crack the screen 😉 it’s only $4 more than your screen protector to fix, good as new!
If all people had applecare+, i doubt anyone would use protection. But that is a 200 add-on, which not everyone can justify. I never had a broken/shattered phone to get use of applecare, but the last 2 iphones (13pm,14pm) had deep scratches which are not eligible for applecare repair anyways.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
If all people had applecare+, i doubt anyone would use protection. But that is a 200 add-on, which not everyone can justify.
True enough - I guess that's why it's optional!

For me, having insurance to prevent a $600 repair cost makes sense. Since I have that insurance, yeah - screen protectors & cases are superfluous (and I don't like them anyway). But, I don't buy Theft & Loss with AppleCare; if push comes to shove I could "Afford" to just buy a new phone though I'd prefer not to.

Everyone has to decide what's best for their own situation & budget, I suppose. Paradoxically, buying insurance becomes more important the smaller your budget is. If I had Tim Cook's money, I wouldn't need insurance - phone gets scratched, just go buy a new one. If I were watching every penny & there's no way I could afford to replace a phone - I'd have AppleCare+ with Theft & Loss, even if it meant having to buy a cheaper phone in order to be able to afford that. I guess I'm somewhere in the middle ;)

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
True enough - I guess that's why it's optional!

For me, having insurance to prevent a $600 repair cost makes sense. Since I have that insurance, yeah - screen protectors & cases are superfluous (and I don't like them anyway). But, I don't buy Theft & Loss with AppleCare; if push comes to shove I could "Afford" to just buy a new phone though I'd prefer not to.

Everyone has to decide what's best for their own situation & budget, I suppose. Paradoxically, buying insurance becomes more important the smaller your budget is. If I had Tim Cook's money, I wouldn't need insurance - phone gets scratched, just go buy a new one. If I were watching every penny & there's no way I could afford to replace a phone - I'd have AppleCare+ with Theft & Loss, even if it meant having to buy a cheaper phone in order to be able to afford that. I guess I'm somewhere in the middle ;)
Yeap. As with many insurance products, everything comes down to pure math where one calculates if they have advantage over the insurance personally or not (forgot the exact term and calcs from college years).

If my iphone breaks, I don’t mind picking up free or cheap iphones from carrier deals. I came from 11 to 15 pro and I don’t mind using both of them. Of course i enjoy 15 pro functionality but i also don’t dislike 11 if i had to go back.

I take off guards when mentally depreciate the phone value in my brain. Like in 6-12 month, i would enjoy bare bones phone again and would not mind replacing full cost for new iphone if something happens.

But i buy my car insurance, because I don’t have 20K cash sitting around to replace it without hurting financially. I also can’t cover lawyer and his porsche expense if accident happens. This is a 100% to buy insurance case for me.

There was a story on reddit how person was using his iphone on last mile to his apt in Bronx. Local teenage gangsters stole it and it was shipped to China. The morale of the story: i would definitely purchase theft and loss applecare if i lived in Bronx.

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
I don't see why i would ever consider a PM going forward, 6.9" to me has crossed the line of being too big. The 6.3" should be pretty much a perfect size for me though.

Reactions: landonalder

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
I think with the rumors of increased size, I’d prefer to go with the Pro this year. But, for me it comes down to weight distribution. The Pro Max usually has better weight distribution so it feels lighter (to me) than the Pro.

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
I always get whatever the regular size device is… will most likely continue with that, current 15 Pro for me is the perfect size.

Reactions: landonalder

tbgb50

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2024
I don't need or like a large phone so maybe the 16 pro - I'm a little concerned about the action button since I am left-handed. If Apple were to eliminate the charging port, then none of the above. Will just get a 15 pro as soon as the 16 comes out and save $100.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.