As an Amazon associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks for your support!                               

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
MaXXXine 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.78
22 hrs ago
RoboCop 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
6 hrs ago
No Way Out 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99
4 hrs ago
Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.95
10 hrs ago
Rocky: Ultimate Knockout Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$104.79
1 day ago
Twisters 4K (Blu-ray)
$40.49
1 day ago
MaXXXine (Blu-ray)
$23.18
22 hrs ago
The Mummy Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.99

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.95
1 day ago
Columbo: The Return (Blu-ray)
$58.99

The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Taxi Driver 4K (Blu-ray)
$33.08

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 07-17-2010, 03:22 AM  
Special Member

Jan 2010
Default Rolling Stones Blu-rays

I've watched Shine a Light through Netflix and loved it. The way the band was captured and their energy was great, couldn't ask for much more. I was about to purchase it but then discovered The Biggest Bang.

My question is, was their performance/energy better in The Biggest Bang? I'm sure it's not as well shot but I just want the one that's more rocking. Mick Jagger's voice didn't seem completely there on Shine a Light. Does he sound stronger on The Biggest Bang?

Last edited by Deciazulado; 07-13-2011 at 06:10 PM. Reason: blu tongue

Old 07-17-2010, 11:04 PM  
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫
Thumbs up Both of them!

I'm a huge fan of the Rolling Stones, and both of these Blu-rays are great.
You can't go wrong with either one, just get them both, you'll thank me for it!

* Me personally, I like EVERYTHING from the Rolling Stones, nothing is inferior. This is the BIGGEST ROCK & ROLL BAND of the ENTIRE PLANET, soo...

Old 07-17-2010, 11:22 PM  
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2009
USA

Don't forget Gimmie Shelter!

Old 07-18-2010, 12:44 AM  
Expert Member

Sep 2009
Bron-Yr-Aur
Default Stones Blus...

If you liked Shine A Light you can't go wrong with The Biggest Bang although the latter is incomplete compared to the DVD version. As Gimme Shelter was already mentioned...check out Ladies And Gentlemen The Rolling Stones that is coming out.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:58 PM  
Special Member

Jan 2010

Awesome, thanks guys. I just checked out Gimme Shelter through Netflix last night and loved it. I never knew the story behind that show. I think I'll probably buy the other two first though because they have more songs. Definitely looking forward to Ladies and Gentelmen now too.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:46 PM  

Nov 2008
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytor View Post
I've watched Shine a Light through Netflix and loved it. The way the band was captured and their energy was great, couldn't ask for much more. I was about to purchase it but then discovered The Biggest Bang.

My question is, was their performance/energy better in The Biggest Bang? I'm sure it's not as well shot but I just want the one that's more rocking. Mick Jagger's voice didn't seem completely there on Shine a Light. Does he sound stronger on The Biggest Bang?
I'm by no means a Rolling Stones expert, but The Biggest Bang has "Under My Thumb," which is awesome. Of course, so does Gimme Shelter, but you have to deal with the fact that someone was killed during that particular performance.

The Biggest Bang is probably closer to a more typical show since it was a huge outdoors show. The Rolling Stones don't normally play venues that hold only 2,700 people like they did in Shone a Light. The Biggest Bang is probably cheaper. Shone a Light has special guests, unlike The Biggest Bang.

My advice: get both.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:30 PM  
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2008
Evanston,Il

While you're at it also get At The Max.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:46 PM  
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2009
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by notman View Post
I'm by no means a Rolling Stones expert, but The Biggest Bang has "Under My Thumb," which is awesome. Of course, so does Gimme Shelter, but you have to deal with the fact that someone was killed during that particular performance.

The Biggest Bang is probably closer to a more typical show since it was a huge outdoors show. The Rolling Stones don't normally play venues that hold only 2,700 people like they did in Shone a Light. The Biggest Bang is probably cheaper. Shone a Light has special guests, unlike The Biggest Bang.

My advice: get both.
Get em' all! The Rolling Stomes are EPIC!

Old 07-19-2010, 12:08 AM  
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010
Earth

Stones on Blu-ray! count me in.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:37 AM  
Special Member

Jan 2010

Ahhh you guys are kiling me here, I didn't realize they had so many on blu I think I'll need to get Shine a Light simply because it was the first one I saw and it rocked my socks off. How does The Biggest Bang compare to At the Max? Is there a clear winner between those two band-performance wise?

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by notman View Post
I'm by no means a Rolling Stones expert, but The Biggest Bang has "Under My Thumb," which is awesome.
You're right about Under My Thumb, that might be enough to sway me to The Biggest Bang which At the Max doesn't have.

Last edited by bytor; 07-19-2010 at 03:41 AM.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:09 AM  

Aug 2010

You're right about Under My Thumb, that might be enough to sway me to The Biggest Bang which At the Max doesn't have.[/QUOTE]

At The Max has Bill Wyman...

Hello guys. I'm new here and I have a question about these Blu-Rays. I was at BestBuy today and I was about to buy The Biggest Bang on BL. But I looked at the DVD and BL version and the DVD has more 55 songs and the BL has only more than 20. Why does The DVD have soo many more and which one should I get?

Old 08-10-2010, 06:15 PM  

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombieslayer42 View Post
You're right about Under My Thumb, that might be enough to sway me to The Biggest Bang which At the Max doesn't have.
At The Max has Bill Wyman...

Hello guys. I'm new here and I have a question about these Blu-Rays. I was at BestBuy today and I was about to buy The Biggest Bang on BL. But I looked at the DVD and BL version and the DVD has more 55 songs and the BL has only more than 20. Why does The DVD have soo many more and which one should I get?[/QUOTE]

The DVD is a four disc box set and has multiple concerts. The Blu-ray only has the Texas show and the documentary of the tour (essentially 2 of the 4 discs of the box set). The Texas show on the Blu-ray looks and sounds much better than the DVD. The DVD is Dolby Digital Stereo and lossy DTS in surround, while the Blu-ray has a PCM stereo track and DTSMA in surround. If I could only get one, I would get the Blu-ray, but I am glad to have both.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:25 PM  
Power Member

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombieslayer42 View Post
Hello guys. I'm new here and I have a question about these Blu-Rays. I was at BestBuy today and I was about to buy The Biggest Bang on BL. But I looked at the DVD and BL version and the DVD has more 55 songs and the BL has only more than 20. Why does The DVD have soo many more and which one should I get?
I might be wrong about this, but I think I read at the time that the other material wasn't shot in a format that ideally lent itself to great HD PQ. So that's why they weren't included on the BD. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure. But even a little Stones on BD is better than nothing.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:52 AM  
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2008

I guess the Biggest Bang blu-ray doesn't contain the Rio show? That's too bad if so, because that show was freakin' epic! Shot on SD though, but they still could/should have included it. Encoded with AVC, it wouldn't have taken up much more space than an HD extra.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:01 PM  

Nov 2008
Anne Arundel County, MD

If you want to see them close, wrinkles and all, get Shine a light. At the Max is shot from far away.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:02 PM  
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011

What is currently THE Rolling Stones Blu-ray to get? Best setlist/video/audio?

Old 07-13-2011, 07:59 PM  

Apr 2011
Looking out my window...I must be in Mordor.

I've been waiting/hoping/praying/making sacrificial offerings for them
to release "Stripped" on BD. For years now. "Mick, are ya reading this ?!?".

Old 07-14-2011, 06:36 AM  
Expert Member

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrugerIndustrial View Post
My personal fave is "Ladies and Gentlemen....The Rolling Stones". If you want to see the band at the absolute pinnacle of their career, this Blu is the one to get. It doesn't have the perfect audio and video of recent releases, but considering the show is almost 40 years old it's still pretty fantastic what they have been able to achieve with this disc. I think it's a must have for any Stones fan.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:51 PM  
Site Manager

Aug 2006
USiberia
Default The Rolling Stones: Some Girls Live in Texas

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=7302

Old 09-09-2011, 04:56 PM  
Special Member

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrugerIndustrial View Post
IMO - Gimme Shelter, but I'm also a film and history buff and there are VERY few films that top Gimme Shelter in terms of film and historical importance - easily one of the most important films of the 60's - and that is saying a lot.

The setlist is fine, but seeing what happened at Altamont should be required viewing for even casual music/film fans.

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America