Video of Trans-Identified Male Competing Against Woman In Jiu-Jitsu Match Sparks Controversy

AntiqueSugar

╚⏤⏤⏤╗♡╔⏤⏤⏤╝
Reaction score
Reactions
20,590 8,108 127
Alleybux
By Genevieve Gluck
September 15, 2023

jiujitsu-trans-696x392.jpg

A female athlete was reportedly not told she would be competing against a male during a Brazilian jiu-jitsu tournament in California last week, prompting a policy revision from the North American Grappling Association (NAGA).

On September 12, Brazilian jiu-jitsu athlete Taelor Moore posted a clip to her Instagram account with the caption, “I weighed in at 135 … and she was over 200!” In the video, a much larger male with braided hair steps up to the mat and engages in combat with her.

Comments on Moore’s post were overwhelmingly supportive, praising her for holding her own against a male twice her size.

“Far from a she, that’s a grown-ass man using his size and weight against you. Congratulations on the win but you ladies need to stand together and not compete against men with makeup. You ladies are the key, this is not okay,” said one concerned commenter.

“Shout out to all the REAL women competitors out there. That other dude should be ashamed of himself,” replied another.

Some responses congratulated Moore for managing to defeat her much larger opponent despite his significant physical advantage. “That guy should not be [allowed] to compete but she is amazing for whooping him,” read one reply.

The match took place during the NAGA Grappling Championship on September 9. Reduxx has identified the male participant as James McPike, 29, who is currently using the feminine name Alice. While McPike lost to Moore, he took home silver in the women’s Absolute No-GI Indeterminate category after beating out a different female athlete.

Following Moore’s video going viral on Instagram, her coach, Smitty Wit, took the opportunity to defend his student in a video where he addressed the issue of trans-identifying males competing against women in Brazilian jiu-jitsu.

“I have a student who went against a trans athlete in an open-weight division for jiu-jitsu grappling, a combat sport,” Wit said. “I’m sure a lot of people hearing this are thinking that my student lost. No, she won.”

“But I have a really big issue at hand, this is a very serious topic,” he continued. “In jiu-jitsu we don’t drug test. You can take steroids. Everyone knows this. It is what it is. When you step on these mats, you waive your rights to your life…. And I had to gaslight my student.”

alice-mcpike-768x1024.jpg
Alice McPike. Photo: Facebook

Wit explains that Moore had expressed incredulity when she saw McPike, but he attempted to reassure her to “keep her morale up” by telling her: “That’s not what you think it is.”

Moore’s coach went on to suggest that she had received criticism from trans activists for sharing the video of her match against McPike.

“This is my problem. When she goes online and posts about her experience, now she’s a bigot and she’s ‘outing’ this trans athlete. Where do we draw the line? So now women can’t talk about their experiences in a combat sport?”

In the captions accompanying his commentary, Wit clarified that “this isn’t a ‘ban trans’ video,” while reiterating his concern for the safety of women competing in jiu-jitsu. Wit appeared to draw a comparison between a male athlete grappling with a female to doping.

“My student could have been SEVERELY injured by an untested athlete, and gave up a solid 50lbs. Now you’re telling me women can’t EXPRESS their experience, if that experience conflicts with the other individual? Why is it only okay for women to complain when they lose, but have to shut up about it if they win?” Wit asked.

As with Moore’s video, most replies supported Wit, though some criticized him for a lack of clarity on his position regarding male athletes competing against women.

However, Foundation Chicago, a martial arts school where McPike trains, strongly disagreed with Wit and claimed that trans-identifying males have no physical advantage over females in sport.

“Are you saying trans athletes shouldn’t compete against cis athletes? If so, say it. We disagree. Your student showed superior technique and looked slick as all heck against ours, and that’s why she got the well-deserved [win],” Foundation Chicago replied.

“Beating a much larger trans athlete in short order demonstrates quite well that there’s no crazy advantage for trans women against cis women. Say things with your whole chest, don’t be mealy-mouthed, and then discussions can happen. Congrats on being a great coach and on your student doing so well. Super impressive.”

The controversy caused NAGA to issue a statement on the situation.

“We are aware of an incident over the weekend where a transgender female competed in a women’s division without prior knowledge of their transgender status. We have since updated our policy to require transgender competitors to contact us in advance so we can discuss and explain the policy to them,” NAGA stated.

alice-mcpike-fb.png
McPike prior to his transition.

“NAGA does not require biological women to compete against transgender women. Instead, we give the choice to the biological women and if they decline, they compete in a division only with other biological women.”

NAGA then provided a link to their official policy, which reads: “For those who chose not to compete with the transgender female, we will inquire if they have an interest in entering a separate division which includes the transgender female. This additional division will be offered at no cost to those competitors. However, if individuals decline this opportunity, the transgender female will be directed to compete with the males in their respective weight and skill level category.”

Thune

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
65,093 2,997 1,241
Alleybux
“Far from a she, that’s a grown-ass man using his size and weight against you. Congratulations on the win but you ladies need to stand together and not compete against men with makeup. You ladies are the key, this is not okay,” said one concerned commenter.
This is it! Refuse to participate, they can only belong when you cooperate!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Reactions
351,574 6,890 6,221
Alleybux
....I don't feel sorry for these female athletes. They continue to stupidly participate in this insanity. STOP COMPETING AGAINST THIS MEN.

They're either brainwashed, stuck on stupid or both.

Imjustlike

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
20,725 2,884 748
Alleybux
He was handsome before his transition I will never get why anyone would give up the life of a handsome man to be an ugly ass woman.

AvocadoGuh

have you touched grass today?
Reaction score
Reactions
47,688 2,085 1,438
Alleybux
I feel like many of the transformers are going into these competitions and purposely losing, so they can argue that they aren't a threat. It's all part of the plan.

Jsolidus

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
112,676 6,394 6,673
Alleybux
Idk why women are even participating in sh*t like this.
I would forfeit..ain't no fµck!ng way I'm fighting a man male trans freak etc. And id double dare anyone to question my decision! You not going to get sympathy for me when that man beats your ass! You knew it was man but you wanted to be progressive and woke!

Women need to stop acting progressive and open minded because it's at the point where your looking like a dumbass to be pro trans.

This sh!t is literally a legal free pass to touch harass molest women! It amazes me how some women still haven't grown a brain and seen this

Last edited:

TheUltimate

Shaivonte Aician Gilgeous-Alexander for MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
70,305 2,752 467
Alleybux
I feel like many of the transformers are going into these competitions and purposely losing, so they can argue that they aren't a threat. It's all part of the plan.
Yeah, it looked like he threw the fight on purpose. It didn't look like he leveraged his man strength or weight. Trans will use this as an example when discussing XYs competing in women sports.

Jsolidus

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
112,676 6,394 6,673
Alleybux
This man is a pervert! He found a way to legally molest a women and some women are allowing it!

This is a man! He could of easily overtaken her if he wanted too but he didn't! It's not because he wanted to lose he wanted to sexualy harass a woman and not go to prison! Next time he will come out losing with a hard on in his pants! Just watch!

Last edited:

KurvyBeauty

Pretty Brown Brown
Reaction score
Reactions
54,981 2,170 590
Alleybux
This. Even in the video he was barely doing anything and I don’t think it was because of her superior technique.

The Skeptic

woman: adult human female
Reaction score
Reactions
60,777 1,809 979
Alleybux
thank you!!! ding ding ding bc people be acting slow

TheUltimate

Shaivonte Aician Gilgeous-Alexander for MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
70,305 2,752 467
Alleybux
“Are you saying trans athletes shouldn’t compete against cis athletes? If so, say it. We disagree. Your student showed superior technique and looked slick as all heck against ours, and that’s why she got the well-deserved [win],” Foundation Chicago replied.

These ppl are telling you what they're up to. They will hold up this farce of a match as an example when confronted with the fact that XYs have a strength and athletic advantage over XXs.

DoneToDeath

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
186,640 5,065 3,213
Alleybux
Are women slow? Why participate in this beast get their rocks off. They enjoy physically Beating and fondling women. Then they will take lose because all they wanted to do was touch you in the first place!

DoneToDeath

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
186,640 5,065 3,213
Alleybux
This man is a pervert! He found a way to legally molest a women and some women are allowing it!

This is a man! He could have easily overtaken her if he wanted too but he didn't! It's not because he wanted to lose he wanted to sexualy harass a woman and not go to prison! Next time he will come out losing with a hard on in his pants! Just watch!
I wish I had seen your comment before I wrote mine. This is exactly right.

i_like_bouncing

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,698 250 15
Alleybux
“But I have a really big issue at hand, this is a very serious topic,” he continued. “In jiu-jitsu we don’t drug test. You can take steroids. Everyone knows this. It is what it is. When you step on these mats, you waive your rights to your life…. And I had to gaslight my student.”

Wit explains that Moore had expressed incredulity when she saw McPike, but he attempted to reassure her to “keep her morale up” by telling her: “That’s not what you think it is.”
To all the people saying that she should have just refused to compete, or she deserves whatever for ‘entertsinging’ this male. She wasn’t told, that I think is the point of the article. Her own coach admits above, she was gaslit and told ‘it’s not what you think it is’ when it absolutely was. She had her own agency taken from her.

And just because one woman can beat one man, doesn’t make it fair to have an individual who has gone through male puberty compete against women.

Also, clock the language, ‘transgendered female’ female is a sëx class, you can’t change sëx, I thought ‘sëx and gender are different’? Isn’t that what they have been telling us?

Piccadilly05

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,332 424 241
Alleybux
If the trans athlete and his coaches want him to fight against women, fine. No problem. Just be upfront about it. How about that?

“Beating a much larger trans athlete in short order demonstrates quite well that there’s no crazy advantage for trans women against cis women. Say things with your whole chest, don’t be mealy-mouthed, and then discussions can happen. Congrats on being a great coach and on your student doing so well. Super impressive.”
It doesn't show that at all. Jiu-jitsu may be one of the few sports where being smaller puts competitors at an advantage though. Lower center of gravity works really well in that activity from what I hear. But either way, one woman or a dozen women beating men does not suddenly change the physiological advantage that men have over women in physical sport.

“We are aware of an incident over the weekend where a transgender female competed in a women’s division without prior knowledge of their transgender status. We have since updated our policy to require transgender competitors to contact us in advance so we can discuss and explain the policy to them,” NAGA stated.
In other words, NAGA agreed that what the TIM coach did was shifty and shady as hell. Creep.

I don't think the TIM was right to compete in that division. If they want a separate division where women compete against men or the athlete's sëx isn't taken into account, then great. The TIM's coach is a gaslighting creep though. That's the most worrisome thing to me in this article.

stevvaa

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
90,840 9,497 3,735
Alleybux
70 pounds ? That he/she threw the match to push their cause and agenda

Do you understand how much 70+ pounds is beating a natural born woman who weighed 70 more pounds then you would be DIFFICULT

and she beat a taller man with longer limbs ? Get out of here

And slams are allowed in NAGA rule set . The he/she could have easily slammed the girl on the floor but they don’t want those optics

willijas02

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
50,823 1,736 803
Alleybux
Years back there was a black woman mma fighter that was made to fight a man but she didn’t know it was a man. She got knocked out in under 2 minutes and her skull cracked. I get insanely worried when their is a woman fighting a TIM.

I am just me

"Woman" is not a costume for your minstrel show
Reaction score
Reactions
7,280 228 46
Alleybux
....I don't feel sorry for these female athletes. They continue to stupidly participate in this insanity. STOP COMPETING AGAINST THIS MEN.

They're either brainwashed, stuck on stupid or both.
I get where you're coming from, but I'm not sure this is a reasonable solution. It ends up boiling down to women competing, and losing to men in dresses, and everyone else sees the unfairness for exactly the shenanigans it is... or women don't compete at all. And by not competing, they forego their own futures, their scholarships, their joys.

By not competing, women forfeit the entire field of sports to men. I don't think that's the solution I want to see.

On the other hand, as these women continue to compete - and to draw attention to the blatant and obvious unfairness of men taking part in women's sports - the social view is shifting, and more and more governing bodies are changing the participation rules for women's sports.

Reaction score
Reactions
351,574 6,890 6,221
Alleybux
I get where you're coming from, but I'm not sure this is a reasonable solution. It ends up boiling down to women competing, and losing to men in dresses, and everyone else sees the unfairness for exactly the shenanigans it is... or women don't compete at all. And by not competing, they forego their own futures, their scholarships, their joys.

By not competing, women forfeit the entire field of sports to men. I don't think that's the solution I want to see.

On the other hand, as these women continue to compete - and to draw attention to the blatant and obvious unfairness of men taking part in women's sports - the social view is shifting, and more and more governing bodies are changing the participation rules for women's sports.

We can agree to disagree.

You see it as highlighting the unfairness in sports (though....that's common sense basic biology that men are faster, stronger, and generally physically superior and I don't see why we need to SEE men dominating women's sports to know this).

I feel like all it does is show the female athletes are complicit. They are actively participating in their own erasure and demonstrating that they are fine with men in their sports. Not only that but they are often seen SMILING and posing with these men in their sports as these men win medals and awards and set records.

So yeah. I'll reiterate that I have zero sympathy for most of the ones actively participating in their own erasure. I'm not going to be more concerned for them than they are for themselves. Now, if they learn to grow a spine and stick up for themselves like Riley Gaines has done and a handful of others, then I will 10000% back them up. Until then.....they can have fun being dominated by men in rugby and track and cyclists and swimming and jiu jitsu and MMA and whatever else they're foolishly participating against men in.

Chatter

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
196,977 15,262 3,222
Alleybux
I really think some of them are purposely losing these days to shift the narrative. I noticed a switch right around when the backlash started.