Kubernetes Engine cost vs Compute Engine Cost

I have 3 GKE autopilot clusters in 1 project. I was seeing prices are much higher than what I was expecting. turns out I am paying for compute as well as kubernetes. 

These are billing SKU that comes under Compute Engine Service.

Screenshot 2024-06-17 at 10.25.18 PM.png

These are the SKUs that comes under Kubernetes Engine Service 

Screenshot 2024-06-17 at 10.25.03 PM.png

What I dont understand is, 

I am paying for Autopilot Pod mCPU Requests (us-central1) SKU and Autopilot Spot Pod mCPU Requests (us-central1)  under Kubernetes Engine service.
There is also an SKU under Compute Engine Service Spot Preemptible E2 Instance Core running in Americas which I am paying for. Why is this the case?

I was under the assumption that VM cost would be covered under Kubernetes Engine service ONLY, as with Autopilot, I dont pay for compute but I only pay for amount of resources I request, Correct? 

This feels like I am getting double charged, I am sure I am not, but I am failing to understand what these costs actually mean !! How one SKU is different from other. 

Also, It would be great If there is a way to check cost of each GKE cluster rather than only project wide cost. Please let me know if there is a way to achieve this. 

3 4 171
4 REPLIES 4

@shannduin Anybody who can help me with this?

Are you running performance class Pods in any of these clusters? 

Yes One of the cluster uses performance nodes. We removed the performance nodes from it and saw compute cost drop significantly. Is there a definite way to calculate these costs ?

https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/Google-Kubernetes-Engine-GKE/Understanding-GKE-Autopilot-pri...

I mentioned here how I am calculating the costs, but clearly this is not how it is done.

@shannduin 

If removing the performance class Pods answered your question in this topic, maybe mark your answer as the solution and use the other post for an answer about pricing calculations 

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors