Skip Navigation
StreetEasy Logo

Property tax refund for a condo??

Started by 911turbo
28 days ago
Discussion about
Hello all, I purchased my condo in 2021, when I recently paid my quarterly property taxes, I noticed in the “refund” section, it claimed several checks had been issued over the years. Not large amounts, but refunds nonetheless. I assumed the checks were mailed to an incorrect mailing address on file. When I inquired to the NYC department of finance, this was the response: “ Dear Taxpayer, At your... [more]
Response by stache
27 days ago

Yes you need to write to your board and inquire.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by 300_mercer
27 days ago

Turbo, Something amiss in DOF reply. The process they describe applies to COOPs. However, my understanding is that any refunds due to tax reduction filings are applied to individual unit’s tax account. Perhaps there is some exception I am not aware of.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by 911turbo
27 days ago

I don’t understand the DOF reply either. But a fellow unit owner who observed the same “refunds “ noted that a credit was applied to their tax bill and when I looked more carefully at the prior years tax bills, a credit was indeed applied for the check amount. I guess I got confused since it did seem an actual check was mailed out since there is a check reference # but I guess if you pay your tax bill via ACH bank transfer, they automatically just apply a credit to the bill.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by 300_mercer
27 days ago

Makes sense. I have gotten tax credits from the past to my condo unit account directly as well. Just means reduction in balance due. All the account history is available on the DOF website.

Ignored comment. Unhide
Response by Dickens
25 days ago

I am in a coop and we receive two letters every year - one a reminder that they'll be taking the credits and the way these will be applied to maintenance and the second, once the credits are due to be applied. It seems like a miscommunication on the part of the board tbh - I don't think it matters whether the unit is coop or a condo for this.

Ignored comment. Unhide

Add Your Comment