Europa Universalis IV

Europa Universalis IV

View Stats:
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
[TA] Trance Sep 25, 2018 @ 11:43am
[Updated] How to revert Europa Universalis to a previous patch
Previously you were able to revert back to earlier versions of Paradox Development Studios (PDS) games at will on Steam. These specific versions predate the enactment of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) - hence they are not compliant with the new policy.

In order to continue our endeavor to reach full GDPR compliance, we have designed a new system regarding the access to earlier versions of PDS titles: from the 1st of October 2018 onward all previous versions of PDS titles will be locked under a Steam password.

After 1st October, you will need to log into the Paradox Plaza website with your Paradox Account to access the codes for previous branches of each game that you own. This will, however, require you to link your Steam account to your Paradox Account. In an effort to comply with the GDPR, this is something we need to put behind the Paradox logins as it requires agreement to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use to adhere to the GDPR guidelines.

To get the codes for previous versions:
Go to https://accounts.paradoxplaza.com/games and log in (or create) your Paradox Account.
You will have to link your Steam and Paradox accounts to see your games - where your codes will be listed.
To link your Steam and Paradox Accounts: simply go to the Settings tab. Under Steam account click connect (you will then be redirected to Steam to confirm your action).
With that done the Games tab on Paradox Plaza will show the list of codes needed to revert to previous versions.
See below to revert to older versions under passlock.

How to switch to old branch versions:
Go to your Steam Library and select your game of choice.
Right-click and select Properties.
Under the “BETAS” tab.
Enter the relevant code retrieved from Paradox Plaza and click “CHECK CODE”.
Select the version you wish to play and wait for Steam launcher to finalize the switch.
If the previous step fails, exit the game, right click properties, local files, Verify integrity of game files and wait for all files to be verified.

For FAQs and further discussion on this subject, please visit the main thread for these changes on our forum at this link: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/1120883/

I'll leave the thread open if anyone has any questions/issues doing this. Please do not use this thread to complain about GDPR.

Thank you.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 217 comments
Brids17 Oct 1, 2018 @ 7:29am 
Wow, that's a lot of hoops to jump through, thank you for putting in the effort to allow players like myself who stopped updating the game to still be able to play older patches.
CyPunk Oct 1, 2018 @ 7:54am 
You should edit this, the codes are not under the "Games" tab, the big tab at the top that people will perhaps first check; You have to click your account name and go to "My Games" under "Your account".
UncleVlad Oct 1, 2018 @ 7:55am 
Guys that is so annoying. Im disapointed.
Gregor Oct 1, 2018 @ 8:00am 
So basically I have been forbidden access to any of my saves from now on unless I go through all that trouble? This is ridiculous!

I have basically payed for a game I can no longer enjoy unless I do X, Y and Z.
Dux Oct 1, 2018 @ 10:12am 
This is some major bs in all honesty. Just having to read through all the steps I have to go to be able to enjoy the game I was playing managed to turn me off from playing this again.
There's no bloody hell I'm going through this every single time you release one of the 15346747575 updates you feel the need to release every year.
Last edited by Dux; Oct 1, 2018 @ 12:23pm
hard_place Oct 1, 2018 @ 10:26am 
Have linked accounts and inputed the key to get access to previous versions and EVEN THEN the app tells me the files are corrupted and I can no longer access them. Just lost 100 hours down the pan. Great. GDPR is one thing. There are easier ways to implement such a policy AROUND the game - not In the game. Such a waste.
Midwaysilver Oct 1, 2018 @ 10:35am 
Wow, you know people are not going to do all that crap. You better find a way around all that bs quickly or the game is good as dead
Undisclosed Oct 1, 2018 @ 10:51am 
Good job, you killed the game.
maleante Oct 1, 2018 @ 11:07am 
goodbye, you were the best game I knew
Max Weber Oct 1, 2018 @ 11:07am 
1. I would like to get a warning upfront, if you put a patch on my game that I can not easily -remove like before.

2. I did not ask for another account. Already got to much.

3. I never want to link my steam acc to my paradox account. Never, Ever!

4.a) "The EU made me do" = Fake News! I can not think of any possible explanation that makes sense - if otherwise then please come up with a belivable explanation...

4.b) Im dissappointed that you blame the EU - really - all that Europe needs right now is another stablilty -1 drop. I dont have any problem to say whats wrong in the EU and why and how things should change.

5. Did not even heard a sorry from you, that we - the players - have to go through this process.

6. I think its illegal, that you make it impossible to switch back to the version of a game I bought without registering.

7. I invested 40 hours to play Sweden... I need to start again with denmark now... SWEDISH culture will get extinct. S_HOVe some köttbullar up your aasssess or rather shove them up the aassses of the managers that made that decision!!!

"Yeahh - ♥♥♥♥♥♥ storm well deserved!"(Implement that in one of your games!)
"Stability -1"
Last edited by Max Weber; Oct 1, 2018 @ 11:12am
Brids17 Oct 1, 2018 @ 11:14am 
Guys, this literally took me under a minute to do. It's not thar big of a deal. It's also not even thier fault.
miguel_bor Oct 1, 2018 @ 11:58am 
It is a pity that the proud descendants of vikings became louse liberal ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Midwaysilver Oct 1, 2018 @ 12:01pm 
@Brids17 the law change was introduced to stop companies stealing your information. Now we have to agree to give all our information away in terms and conditions every 10 mins to do anything
billy Oct 1, 2018 @ 12:31pm 
oh great now i got to do all this ♥♥♥♥ just to play the save i was playing yesterday. what a ♥♥♥♥ system
Ive played alot of hours in this game and paid alot of money for added content. So i am really dissapointed to have to do all this when i just want to play the game i was playing yesturday. Its now become fustrating to do this just to play. i only wish new updates didnt kill old saves. Why cant you make it were old saves just load into a older version. all the older information is still there. Or just let me decided when i want my game to be updated so i can choose to do it when im done with my current game. I hate spending hundreds of hours on a game just to have to start over again when a update comes. and I dont want more game accounts or to link with your system just to do it. Thats all, i dont want to jump around just to play a game. and its a great game, i love it. but if i must keep doing this every few weeks its going to be less and less worth it. ive put off buying more expansions because of the recent updates that have messed with my saved games and i most likelly wont buy any more because of them.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 217 comments
Per page: 1530 50