CFV: New Project: JDK

mark.reinhold at oracle.com mark.reinhold at oracle.com
Tue Sep 26 13:45:05 UTC 2017

I hereby propose the creation of the JDK Project, with me as the Lead and
the Governing Board as the sponsoring Group.

The goal of this Project will be to produce open-source reference
implementations of the Java SE Platform, to be specified by JSRs in the
Java Community Process.  Unlike past JDK Release Projects, which produced
just one feature release and then terminated, this long-running Project
will produce all future JDK feature releases.  Per my recent proposal
[1][2] to accelerate the release cadence of the Java SE Platform and the
JDK, this Project will ship a feature release every six months according
to a strict, time-based model.

The Project's repositories will be initialized from those of the JDK 10
Project, and that Project will terminate.  Features for the release will
be proposed and tracked via the JEP Process [3], as usual.

The Authors, Committers, and Reviewers of this Project will initially be
those of the JDK 10 Project [4].  I expect the first items of discussion
amongst these contributors to include the schedule for the March 2018
release and the version-string scheme.

Votes are due by 17:00 UTC on Tuesday, 10 October [5].

Only current OpenJDK Members [6] are eligible to vote on this motion.
Votes must be cast in the open on the discuss list.  Replying to this
message is sufficient if your mail program honors the Reply-To header.

For Lazy Consensus voting instructions, see [7].

- Mark

[1] https://mreinhold.org/blog/forward-faster
[2] http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/discuss/2017-September/004281.html
[3] http://openjdk.java.net/jeps