Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasnw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 15, 2013
Seattle Area (NOT! Microsoft)
Still getting used to Sonoma. My current headache, almost literally, is how app windows jump out at you when you open them. Maybe this isn't all apps, but the MS Office apps certainly do this. My annoyance goes deeper that this even - I really do not like all the little animations which are designed, I guess, to show how cute and adorable the computer is. Just because you have spare CPU cycles doesn't mean you need to use them. Particularly on the GUI equivalent of syntactic sugar (more like syntactic cocaine). Anyway, is there any control hidden somewhere that can make this madness stop?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I tested this in MS Office apps. Some (not all) existing documents will do a zoom out to the size that was used to create/edit the document. SOME documents simply open to the edit size, and don't do an animated zoom. I haven't been able to decide what makes the difference, but I am sure it is somewhere in the coding of the Office apps. As I said, doesn't appear to be the system doing that in Office apps, and appears to be a bug, or simply an inconsistent display affect by Office apps. At least, that is my experience.

Did find a setting in Onyx, that may help you... Again, it's in the Onyx app/Parameters/Finder/Graphic effects. Turn off "Use window zooming". That may be all that you need.
If you don't have Onyx, you can find it to download at this link. Get the specific version for Sonoma, as each macOS version has a separate Onyx version.

zevrix

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
Still getting used to Sonoma. My current headache, almost literally, is how app windows jump out at you when you open them.

Well, the scourge of animations - including the window opening convulsion - actually started on Lion. Fortunately, we can disable most (but not all) of them via Terminal commands or UI tools like Onyx (as you know anyway).

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
There's an old, free utility out there called "Mountain Tweaks" that can do some of this for you.

The app is OLD -- it was made around the time of Mountain Lion OS 10.8 -- but it STILL WORKS on the latest OS versions for some functions. I believe it's pretty much just providing a graphical user interface for executing certain terminal commands in the background. I'd suggest seeking it out and trying it.
Mtn Tweaks.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.