Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

interstella

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2013
Suffolk, England
Since updating to Sonoma I cannot get full screen video on YouTube. The full screen icon is grey but if I click it the picture goes to full screen size but the progress bar is visible at all times and there's a notification (from YouTube) at the lower right of the screen that says "full screen unavailable". I'm running a Mac Mini M2 Pro, 512 GB SSD and 16 GB RAM with a Studio Display.

My 13" base configuration MBA does not have this problem. Any ideas, please?

interstella

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2013
Suffolk, England
Looks as if this behaviour is unique to me! I've found two workarounds. The first is to right click on the video when in fullscreen mode then cancel the right click. The video then goes properly full screen. The second is to create a YouTube web app. Full screen mode then works normally.

Izzard

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2008
I have this same issue on my Mac mini M1. I've just gotten in the habit of clicking the video to make it go away, but I'd like to know what is causing it.

Reactions: interstella

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
M1 Mac Studio Max here. Full screen is not a problem with YouTube on Firefox or Safari. Did you login for your account?

interstella

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2013
Suffolk, England
M1 Mac Studio Max here. Full screen is not a problem with YouTube on Firefox or Safari. Did you login for your account?
Yes, I'm logged in. Oddly, it doesn't affect my 13" M2 MBA and it only started happening on my M2 Pro Mac mini after upgrading to Sonoma. as I previously mentioned, there is a workaround but it's a bit of a weird problem to have. Sonoma 14.1 hasn't solved the problem.

daniel-o

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2023
Canada
For some reason Youtube does give me trouble with full screen but only when I am logged in. As soon as I log out it seems to work no problem again. Then, when I log in again, it starts to behave in the same way.

jwahaus

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2022
I just upgraded to Sonoma v14.1.1 (from Monterey) and I don't have this issue. I typically use the Brave browser.

I would try deleting your Web browser cache and see if that fixes your issue.

SkweeBop

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2024
This is happening to me now, too.
Totally watching in fullscreen, but it tells me fullscreen isn't available. Cute.

Izzard

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2008
This is happening to me now, too.
Totally watching in fullscreen, but it tells me fullscreen isn't available. Cute.
I found the solution (at least for me), which was to reset the browser zoom to 100%

If it was anything else, I’d get this issue.

SkweeBop

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2024
I found the solution (at least for me), which was to reset the browser zoom to 100%

If it was anything else, I’d get this issue.
thanks! I found that if I click on the bottom bar (either the play/pause button, or anywhere in the red line), it'll also go away.

Izzard

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2008
Right, but that extra click gets annoying really fast. Setting the browser zoom to 100% (which you can specify only for YouTube if you like) makes the problem not appear in the first place.

Reactions: SkweeBop
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.