Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seggy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2016
It's not an outright 'doesn't work' problem. I have 6 shared folders mounted from a Synology at startup.

Whenever I log in on the Mac, the first two mounts always fails claiming it can't find the NAS. The rest are fine.

So it's not one of the multitude of user validation etc issues with Sonoma.

It's not related to NAS drive sleep since it will happen when the Synology is fully awake (but either way it should be able to cope with this scenario).

Any ideas?

Last edited:

roadkill401

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2015
just for testing sake, if you rearrange the mounting order, does the failed mount follow the new order.. so is it allways the first two drives that fail to mount, or two specific drives?

seggy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2016
So I've been rebooting a bunch of times and testing in more detail with the NAS slept and awake, and correction - it does seem related to drive sleep to a degree, but it's also kinda random in other respects.

When the drives are asleep is when the first two mounts (in alphabetical order) fail for sure.

When the drives are not asleep, sometimes one fails (and it needn't be the first alphabetically), sometimes all load, but I will always get a message box that the NAS couldnt be found, in all of the above scenarios.

Last edited:

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Assuming that they are SMB mounts have you applied the latest SMB update? What firmware version are you running? What version of DSM? Which Synology model?

I have no problem with my DS 1821 SMB mounts running 14.5.

seggy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2016
Figures for the World's Most Advanced OS 🤣🤣🤣

Thanks for the tip - i was thinking it might be something along those lines, and of course you have to script it 🤣🤣🤣

kcossabo

macrumors member
May 25, 2011
Virginia, USA
Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 14.5

Lose all network drive services after it sleeps, again. I had this issue and it went away years a go, now it is back. Added Automounter to the work flow and now that is not working.

SMB to Synology, UnRAID, MacOS, and Ubuntu all gone, can SSH and ping fine
NFS to Synology gone

ugh...

seggy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2016
Automounter is working for me rn, but it's only been days - so wish i could help but right now I can only sympathise with the just lack of many of the fit for purpose elements in MacOS, and having to stick ten bajillion different third party utilities onto it to be even remotely acceptable. I just hope I don't have the same problems as you...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.