Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 8, 2020
I have an iPad Pro (don’t know how much RAM I bought but I bet it’s the default RAM) with 256GB storage. I’m wondering if the following issue is a sign of RAM limitation and that more RAM would help:

Say I’m running two programs under split view (Oyez app on the left; Safari with multiple tabs and tab groups on the right). I’m also actively using a third app (ChatGPT) while I’m using these split view apps. I’ve typed up a prompt in ChatGPT but haven’t executed the statement (i.e., didn’t press return). I go back to the programs under split view (Oyez and Safari) and muck around for a bit. Then, I go back to ChaptGPT and I notice that what I had previously typed in but not executed is all gone — blank.

If I had an iPad with more RAM, would this not occur?

It’s somewhat rare that I’m actively using 3 apps with 2 under split view, but I can see myself operating like that from time to time. If RAM is the issue, then for my future iPad Pro, I’ll probably want to move one step up away from the default RAM.

Reactions: splifingate

bradman83

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
Assuming you're using the 2020 iPad Pro referenced in your signature line that model only comes with 6 GB of RAM and cannot use virtual memory. Don't discount how much RAM Safari is probably using; a couple of media heavy websites can easily eat up several gigabytes of RAM in open tabs (MacRumors itself is a known offender here).

So yes you could absolutely be running up against RAM limitations. This is especially true if you're flipping through tabs in Safari, where iPadOS has to bring background tabs in and out of memory and in turn decide what resources currently in memory need to be suspended; in this case ChatGPT.

If you went to an M-series iPad with 8GB of RAM and the ability to use virtual memory (with Stage Manager enabled) then you shouldn't happen as often, though it still could happen on occasion if you're going really hog wild with the tabs.

If you're trying this on the 2016 iPad Pro in your signature line (which has 2GB of RAM) then that's just a lost cause. 😄

msackey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 8, 2020
Thank you! Yes I’m using this in my iPad Pro 2020 model. Thanks for your helpful tips!

splifingate

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
While I agree with what @bradman83 said, pure memory (or the lack of) is not necessarily always the case.

For ex., I do a lot of multi-tasking on my Desktop(s), and have faced similar (tasked-back to the app in which I was writing only to find the text field empty) issues on Desktops with 64GB and 96GB of RAM.

I have been bit by the lost-Opus-writing-thing so many (frustrating) times, that I always compose lengthy docs in a program or app that is tasked with such, then copy it over.

A suggestion (one that has worked for me repeatedly) is to write-out what you want to say in Notes (or Text Edit (or _____)), then copy that over to your input dialogue for final processing.

I must say that the MR editor is one of (if not the most) robust input dialogues I've ever used . . . very graceful recovery 99 44/100% of the time ;)

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Try enabling Stage Manager first since your iPad supports it anyway. That keeps active app state better than split view.

Reactions: msackey

msackey

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 8, 2020
Try enabling Stage Manager first since your iPad supports it anyway. That keeps active app state better than split view.
Oh interesting. Ok, I'll try that. Last time I tried Stage Manager, I think it practically reduced screen space for me. I'll try again. Thanks!

geoelectric

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
If you went to an M-series iPad with 8GB of RAM and the ability to use virtual memory (with Stage Manager enabled) then you shouldn't happen as often, though it still could happen on occasion if you're going really hog wild with the tabs.
Is virtual memory tied to stage manager? I prefer the older multitasking UI, and my new M4 13 has 16GB anyway, but I’d still prefer to have virtual memory enabled.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Oh interesting. Ok, I'll try that. Last time I tried Stage Manager, I think it practically reduced screen space for me. I'll try again. Thanks!

Stage Manager has improved quite a bit from its original release in iPadOS 16 to 17.

Window placement and overlapping windows work a lot better now.

ifxf

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Some apps clear text when they lose focus. They may do it for misguided security. Chatgpt clears the text line when you go to another app.

Reactions: splifingate

bradman83

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
Is virtual memory tied to stage manager? I prefer the older multitasking UI, and my new M4 13 has 16GB anyway, but I’d still prefer to have virtual memory enabled.
I read somewhere it only worked when Stage Manager but I can't guarantee that was a particularly reputable source, so that part might be incorrect. After doing a bit of research I couldn't find anything to corroborate that, so it's probably wrong!

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
This is why I went from the M2 1Tb 12.9” to the M4 1Tb 11”: to have more memory and less swapping and I can hold much lager files.
Last week I went back for an hour the the 12.9” and it was obvious that it was limited. Yesterday I prepared my old 2018 11” M1 1Tb with 6Gb memory and it was absurd how much slower and how more often reloading it was.

So it depends on what you do, but multitasking and slide over and large handwritten files in notabilty will profit from more memory and M-series processors.

Reactions: msackey

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
This is why I went from the M2 1Tb 12.9” to the M4 1Tb 11”: to have more memory and less swapping and I can hold much lager files.

Don't both of those have 16GB RAM anyway? Even my M1 1TB 12.9" came with 16GB RAM.

Last week I went back for an hour the the 12.9” and it was obvious that it was limited. Yesterday I prepared my old 2018 11” M1 1Tb with 6Gb memory and it was absurd how much slower and how more often reloading it was.

2018 11" has A12X, not M1.

Reactions: aypues and alecgold

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Don't both of those have 16GB RAM anyway? Even my M1 1TB 12.9" came with 16GB RAM.

2018 11" has A12X, not M1.
Absolutely right, the 2018 has an A12, not M1.

Did the M2 1Tb had 16Gb? Why was it swapping so much then and why is the M4 handling the large files so much better?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.