Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pumba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Hi guys

I have been a happy owner and user of my lovely MacPro 5.1 2012, but just ran into a wall which makes me think this is end of the line for me and I need an upgrade. I was running Monterey and latest Fusion 360 update demanded to run on Sonoma. I keep hearing that running Sonoma on MP 5.1 is a no go so now I am thinking it is probably time for an upgrade.

So pls help me to decide where to go next. I was not expected this to happen and kind of dead in the water so need this to resolve relatively fast, but still trying to be as money efficient as possible.

Here is what I use:

• Fusion 360 (alot)
  • Adobe LightRoom (alot)
  • Topaz Photo AI (occasionally) - this was very slow on my MP
  • Adobe Photoshop (occasionally)
  • iMovie / Adome Premier etc (occasionally)
  • Blender (occasionally)
  • Office / Chrome etc...
  • I also have approx 10TG of data on internal drives
Now I am thinking I can either go get

• brand new latest Mac Mini + some kind of external storage
    • basic Mac Mini M2 8GBRAM / 10 cores would cost be approx $600CAD
    • another option Mac Mini M2 24 GBRAM / 10 cores would cost be approx $1000CAD
    • Lacie desktop storage 10TB would be approx $700CAD
  • get 2019 used MacPro 7.1 from iPowerSale - 3.2GHz Intel 16-Core 96GB RAM 2TB SSD Radeon Pro W5500X. It would cost be approx $2400 CAD
I understand that probably MacPro 7.1 would greatly outperform Mini, but a) would I need all that power? b) would it become obsolete faster than new Mini? Trying to see if extra $1000 for 7.1 is justifiable.

Reactions: apostolosdt

Rastafabi

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
Europe
If you already consider spending money in the 2400$ range I would recommend going for a used/refurbished Mac Studio! It will be much faster than a Mac mini and as you seem to use your Macs for a long time this will stay "fast enough" for the foreseeable future. Also it features more ports which might prove useful as some will be dedicated for your storage needs already. Furthermore the additional RAM compared to the Mini will better match your (future) needs!

You might wanna take a look here!

That said, the Minis are great devices, and if you don't mind switching to newer models "regularly", this could work for you as well. Just remember that the even the M Pro GPU equipped models are considerably weaker than the Studios Counterparts, which could have an impact on your "render heavy" workflow.

Last edited:

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
Hi guys

I have been a happy owner and user of my lovely MacPro 5.1 2012, but just ran into a wall which makes me think this is end of the line for me and I need an upgrade. I was running Monterey and latest Fusion 360 update demanded to run on Sonoma. I keep hearing that running Sonoma on MP 5.1 is a no go so now I am thinking it is probably time for an upgrade.

So pls help me to decide where to go next. I was not expected this to happen and kind of dead in the water so need this to resolve relatively fast, but still trying to be as money efficient as possible.

Here is what I use:

• Fusion 360 (alot)
  • Adobe LightRoom (alot)
  • Topaz Photo AI (occasionally) - this was very slow on my MP
  • Adobe Photoshop (occasionally)
  • iMovie / Adome Premier etc (occasionally)
  • Blender (occasionally)
  • Office / Chrome etc...
  • I also have approx 10TG of data on internal drives
Now I am thinking I can either go get

• brand new latest Mac Mini + some kind of external storage
    • basic Mac Mini M2 8GBRAM / 10 cores would cost be approx $600CAD
    • another option Mac Mini M2 24 GBRAM / 10 cores would cost be approx $1000CAD
    • Lacie desktop storage 10TB would be approx $700CAD
  • get 2019 used MacPro 7.1 from iPowerSale - 3.2GHz Intel 16-Core 96GB RAM 2TB SSD Radeon Pro W5500X. It would cost be approx $2400 CAD
I understand that probably MacPro 7.1 would greatly outperform Mini, but a) would I need all that power? b) would it become obsolete faster than new Mini? Trying to see if extra $1000 for 7.1 is justifiable.

First, I have bought a Mac Mini M1, but this Mac was not faster in most of my Apps. GPU-Power was much slower than my Vega Frontier.

Now I have a Mac Studio M1 Ultra, this is 2,5 times faster in most Muti-CPU Apps, and my daily game World of Tanks is “playable”, but only in 1080p (Rosetta2). On my Mac Pro 5,1 I have played in 1440p and with more frames.

If you can find a M1 Ultra for the same price as a M2 Max, I would prefer the M1 Ultra because he is faster in the most scenarios

Last edited:

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
If using 96gb ram then not sure how going to expect to run well on 24gb machine.

how much memory actually using, or did you just fill out the Mac pro because could.

Reactions: avro707

avro707

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2010
get 2019 used MacPro 7.1 from iPowerSale - 3.2GHz Intel 16-Core 96GB RAM 2TB SSD Radeon Pro W5500X. It would cost be approx $2400 CAD
And if you call them they may be able to option it with a much higher GPU than the W5500X.

They did that for me. They were really easy to deal with. The one I have arriving is “excellent” condition with 2TB SSD, same 96GB as above, but 28 core 2.5ghz and a brand new W6800X duo they somehow ordered from Apple.

This wasn’t a cheap machine but it’s also very high spec. If you can wait until early next week I’ll tell you exactly what condition it is in.

The 7,1 you can upgrade to much higher ram than any silicon machine.

also have approx 10TG of data on internal drives

Depending on how they are connected in the 5,1 it might be just as easy as plug in the PCI-e card and you are good to go. That was my experience. I took the Sonnet card out of my 5,1 and used it in the 7,1.

Last edited:

apostolosdt

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2021
I own two MP's, 5,1 and 6,1, with 64GB and analogous other specs. They still run OK, but they can't compete with my Studio M1 Max of 32GB; even the humble Mini M1 base is faster. I think that's the end of the line for all 6,1-and-earlier MPs, let's face it.

I would go for an M1 Ultra with 64GB---or with 128GB if you honor large RAM usage daily.

Reactions: pumba

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
I think you should forget about the 8 GB RAM Mac mini.
Especially, since you’re otherwise considering a 96 GB RAM machine.

As someone said before, if you’re already considering spending upwards of 2k, maybe consider the Mac Studio.
Or the M2 Pro Mac mini with 32 GB.

Reactions: TheStork

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
Seeing what kind of rig you came from, I would seriously consider a new Mac Studio. Yes it’s more expensive, but it will last you 10+ years, and is simply the fastest thing you can buy. Just hang in there till the M4 models drop.

I would NOT go for an Intel based machine, that will be obsolete in no time. And it will not come close to the performance of Apple Silicon.

Always buy the most RAM you can afford, you cannot upgrade it later. And I suspect RAM will be more important going forward than it is today (all that AI stuff that will creep into your apps will eat RAM like crazy).

avro707

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2010
One other thought, can you just download the Windows versions of your Adobe applications and the others?

If so, think about a PC workstation which won't be obsolete in a few years - you have a lot of scope to upgrade them as needed. Nvidia 5090 won't be too far away either. Given the performance of the 4090, you have to consider that. When more RAM is needed, you can add more without having to buy an entire new Mac.

Something like HP Z8 G5 workstation?

https://www.techfinitive.com/produc...guide-exclusive-video-price-and-availability/

Last edited:
Reactions: TracerAnalog

pumba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
If using 96gb ram then not sure how going to expect to run well on 24gb machine.

how much memory actually using, or did you just fill out the Mac pro because could.
I am not sure. I got this specced out MP just because I can. This one has 96GB RAM and 2 CPUs. Before that I had 32GB RAM and 1 CPU and was still OKish

As many suggested I think I will look into Apple Silicon machine, most likely Studio - whatever I can afford.

pumba

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
One other thought, can you just download the Windows versions of your Adobe applications and the others?

If so, think about a PC workstation which won't be obsolete in a few years - you have a lot of scope to upgrade them as needed. Nvidia 5090 won't be too far away either. Given the performance of the 4090, you have to consider that. When more RAM is needed, you can add more without having to buy an entire new Mac.

Something like HP Z8 G5 workstation?

https://www.techfinitive.com/produc...guide-exclusive-video-price-and-availability/
Call me stubborn but there is no way I am getting Windows machine in my Apple dominated household :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.