Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Traveling is perhaps one of the best uses of the Apple Vision Pro headset, as it can be used on airplanes and has a specific Travel Mode. Apple today published several support documents that provide some important details on traveling with the Vision Pro, activating the built-in Travel Mode, and storing it when it's not in use.

Apple-Vision-Pro-Travel-Mode.jpg

How to Travel With Vision Pro

The cover that comes with the Vision Pro should be placed on it to protect the glass before it is packed up, but Apple says users should also make sure there are no loose objects like keys or coins nearby that could scratch the internal displays.

Apple recommends the Apple Vision Pro Travel Case, which is $200, a soft padded bag, or a "similar protective solution" to protect the Vision Pro from impacts and "excessive vibration." Apple's Travel Case is rather large, so it might be difficult to bring as a carry-on because of the space that it takes up.

If the Vision Pro won't be used for an extended period, it should be disconnected from the battery, and Apple says that the ZEISS Optical Inserts should be packed separately so they don't accidentally detach.

How to Use Vision Pro in Travel Mode

Travel Mode is specifically designed for using the Vision Pro while on a flight. It can be activated from the Control Center by following these steps:
  1. Look up and then tap on the arrow near the top of the display to open Control Center.
  2. Tap on the Control Center button to see more options.
  3. Tap on the Travel Mode button.
  4. Tap Turn on Travel Mode to confirm.
Exiting Travel Mode can be done by going back to Control Center and tapping "Turn Off."

Apple says that the Vision Pro cannot be set up on an airplane, and also Personas are not available when Travel Mode is turned on.
Travel Mode Tips

Apple says that users should follow these guidelines when using Travel Mode:
  • Remain seated while Travel Mode is on, and remove the Vision Pro before standing up. Features that help you stay aware of your surroundings are disabled when Travel Mode is activated.
  • Take off the Vision Pro during taxiing, takeoff, and landing. Also remove it if there is turbulence on the flight.
  • Avoid looking out the airplane's windows, because it can impact the Vision Pro's ability to detect your surroundings.
  • If content appears tilted or off-center, long-press on the Digital Crown to re-center the view.
Storing Vision Pro

If the Vision Pro is not going to be in use for a while, Apple recommends taking these steps:
  • Attach the cover to the Vision Pro to prevent dust accumulation or damage, but make sure the cover is clean and free of debris first.
  • Disconnect the battery.
  • Place the Vision Pro on a stable, flat surface with the cover glass facing forward. Do not put the Vision Pro facing downward. Alternatively, place it in the Vision Pro Travel Case.
  • The Vision Pro can withstand temperatures ranging from -4º to 113º F. It should not be stored in areas that exceed this range.
  • Do not leave the Vision Pro in a car because temperatures in parked cars can get too warm.
  • Do not leave the Vision Pro in direct sunlight for any length of time.
  • Make sure the relative humidity of where the Vision Pro is stored is between 0 percent and 95 percent.
In day to day usage, Apple also suggests that users put the cover back on the Vision Pro whenever it's not being worn. Apple also warns against placing the Vision Pro with the glass facing downward, and says to put it on the polishing cloth rather than any rough or abrasive surface.

Picking up the Vision Pro should always be done with two hands, and it should never be picked up by the Light Seal or Audio Straps.

Article Link: What You Need to Know About Traveling With Apple Vision Pro

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
I can see this being an issue in flights… imagine you are in window seat and need to get past someone sitting closer to the aisle who is wearing AVP and has AirPods in on noise cancelling mode..

Or even worse, there is an emergency and you need to get past them 😂

Not an issue in first or business…

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
You’re overthinking it… it’s no different than anyone wearing a sleep mask and earplugs.
Yeah but earplugs and sleep mask are passive devices… the AVP plus AirPods are active devices that feed sound and audio to you… and noise cancellation at that.

This is precisely the reason Apple are giving out advice for safe usage and I’m sure the airlines and other services may introduce specific rules for these devices when onboard aircraft for the safety of all other customers.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
H
It might just be me, but I get the impression that people who would use this on a plane aren't going to do so because it's better/easier/more convenient.

They seem like the kind of people who just want to be seen owning and using an AVP.
my most important concern when traveling is having an awareness of my surroundings.

Therefore I’d never wear any device like this while traveling by train, plane or vehicle.

There’s just too much crazy stuff happening these days to put yourself at risk of intentional or unintentional harm by someone else for the sake of a movie etc

I’ll stick to a good book 😀

tekipaki

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2024
I travel with my iPhone in my pocket, and I have my iPad stored in my backpack, which I can easily stash under the seat in front of me. Super easy. But the AVP apparently requires that huge $200 astronaut life-support bag to travel safely. Is it really worth all that effort to watch a movie on your flight?

I suspect a lot of people who expected to buy it for that reason will give up when they see that it‘s going to count them as a separate carry on bag and realize how burdensome it is. Not to mention they’ll look like a goober using it. Not that I really care what those around me think. But i do care what I think, and that’s not how i’d want to present myself to the world.

timborama

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
It is different. Most people wear a sleep mask and plugs to sleep and those do not protrude the facial exterior.
LOL. The distance of the “protrusion” is not as impeding as their knees or stomach. Non-issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.