Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StoneJack

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 19, 2009
The best car analogy for M4 iPad Pro:
take a latest engine from Mercedes Bentz (AMG Project ONE, V6 turbocharged engine, from the Mercedes-AMG Petronas Formula One race), put it in a tin can and put the can on three quadratic wheels.

Surely it can run somehow
Surely it can cost a lot
Surely it can transport you from a point A to point B in some capacity
The tin can is iPad OS. It looks nice and is shiny. It can't do much but it looks fine.
Then take away the two square wheels and leave the only one square wheel (USB-C port).

Charge a lot for it.
Profit!

Last edited:

Aka757

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2016
Houston
I don't understand the point of this post. iPadOS is limiting the hardware? Sure. Is that it? Surely you have something better to do with your time then create a post about a product you are unhappy with? I've said this before but it bears repeating: I really envy those of you that seem to have all the time in the world to spend on MacRumors talking about products that you don't like lol

DeepSix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2022
take a latest engine from Mercedes Bentz (AMG Project ONE, V6 turbocharged engine, from the Mercedes-AMG Petronas Formula One race), put it in a tin can and put the can on three quadratic wheels.

Surely it can cost a lot
The tin can is iPad OS. It looks nice and is shiny. It can't do much but it looks fine.
Then take away the two quadratic wheels and leave the only one quadratic wheel (USB-C port).

Charge a lot for it.
Profit!

Apple could charge 6 figures for the M4 ipads and people would still be buying them because they need those deep blacks and thinness. Looks over functionality.

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
Apple could charge 6 figures for the M4 ipads and people would still be buying them because they need those deep blacks and thinness. Looks over functionality.

I mean, for a display, looks are literally the functionality. Entire businesses are ran on making a better-looking display because that is how they are used.

AlexJaye

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2010
I am replacing my MacBook Pro with the new iPad Pro. I’m OK with iPadOS, but it would be nice if Apple improved the file system and external connection support. I will miss macOS for its stability (in comparison - iPadOS is BUGGY AF), but the OLED, versatility, touchscreen, etc., are all preferable to me.

bluegt

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2015

Surely it can cost a lot
Then take away the two quadratic wheels and leave the only one quadratic wheel (USB-C port).

Charge a lot for it.
Profit!

I’ve always wanted a car with a Mercedes engine.

Thanks OP, ordered.

• Haha
Reactions: GuruZac

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

Surely it can cost a lot

Charge a lot for it.
Profit!

My favourite analogy for it is to liken the ipad to a screwdriver.

The PC is a hammer.

There were these people in the past who were trying to use a hammer to drive nails in because the screwdriver hadn’t been invented yet. Yes, it can work, but it’s also a very inelegant manner of getting the job done.

The screwdriver is lighter, it’s possibly slower, and it’s an absolute joy to use under the right conditions. That’s why I enjoy my ipad very much, and I will happily pay more for it over a Mac if I have to.

Not everything is rational or can be distilled into a checklist of specs and dollars. You can tell me about how the ipad is crippled in this area or that. Maybe that is true, and I still love it regardless.

Last edited:
Reactions: TechnoMonk

Mesmerize._

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2023
Italy
Pointless post. I’m really enjoying mine and it’s a great companion to my work also thanks to the great battery life.
High price, sure, but think about the new Copilot Snapdragon X Elite tablet which are even more expensive and reviews are so and so.

Reactions: sparksd

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
Why is everyone on MR obsessed with car analogies? Is "flagship chip held back by iPadOS" so hard to understand that it requires a vague analogy?

CharlesShaw

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2015
And anyone reading MR forums will never see deep blacks because the UI only displays a couple deep grays that remind me of construction paper from elementary school.

bondr006

macrumors 68030
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond

Surely it can cost a lot
Then take away the two square wheels and leave the only one square wheel (USB-C port).

Charge a lot for it.
Profit!
Oh good. Another pointless and boring opinion post. Love my iPad Pro, to the point where I sold my 2019 16" I9 MBP, and I've been using it for over 2 years to run the mobile side of my real estate and property management business.

As Steve would say, Stop being a Bozo and get a hobby or something because this crap is real old....

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
The car analogy doesn't work. Most cars can drive at 120mph but are only ever used for picking up groceries.

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
So I guess OP isn't going to order one then... :rolleyes:

I'm sure the millions sold already will keep Apple ticking over okay.

Reactions: bondr006
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.