Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Starting today, select Walmart stores in the U.S. and Walmart.com will be selling the MacBook Air with the M1 chip at a bargain $649 price.

macbook-air-m1-unboxing-feature.jpg

Walmart+ members have early access to the deal as of 12 p.m. Eastern Time today, and it will be available to all Walmart customers starting at 6 p.m. Eastern Time today.

Walmart first began selling the MacBook Air with the M1 chip for $699 in March, marking the first time the retailer ever sold Macs directly. Now, it is available for an even lower $649 heading into the back-to-school shopping season. It is unclear how long the deal will last.

Apple first released the MacBook Air with the M1 chip in November 2020, as one of the first Macs with an Apple silicon chip instead of an Intel processor. The configuration being sold for $649 includes the M1 chip, 256GB of storage, and 8GB of RAM/unified memory, with Gold, Silver, and Space Gray color options available. Walmart's product listing says the MacBook Air is in brand new condition, so this is not a used/refurbished model.

Apple discontinued the MacBook Air with the M1 chip earlier this year, following the launch of new MacBook Air models with the M3 chip. Prior to being discontinued, the model with the M1 chip was being sold for a starting price of $999 brand new.

While this model of the MacBook Air is now over three and a half years old, it is still a very capable machine for many average day-to-day tasks. However, it has an older design and has fewer remaining years of macOS compatibility than the latest MacBook Air models, so those aspects should be factored into your purchasing decision.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Walmart, and we may receive a small payment if you click a link in this article and proceed to make a purchase.

Article Link: Walmart Selling MacBook Air With M1 Chip for $649 Starting Today

Last edited:

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68030
Sep 29, 2008
This would’ve been a deal 2 years ago.
It's a deal now (and you are correct that 2 years ago a new M1 MacBook Air for $650 would have been a deal too).

What's an equality good or better new laptop that has similar battery life, CPU performance, GPU performance, screen quality, trackpad quality, build quality, speaker quality, is fanless (or even with a fan), etc. that's priced under $700?

Edit: Still waiting for a reply. Bueller, Bueller, anyone?

Last edited:

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
They are just clearing out parts for Apple
That's all this is

Dumping old parts and stock that Apple couldn't overcharge people for back when these were newer
This is a 4 year old computer

Good luck on the support timeline for M1 stuff .. nobody knows, but I'm betting "the under"

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
I thought Apple's policy was to support Macs for 5 years from day of last sale of a particular Mac model? Why is Macrumors in this article worried about lack of software support for the M1 MacBook Air model if Walmart is still selling it? Also, I see that Walmart is selling a 3 year Applecare+ plan for this $649 laptop, so Apple must be going to continue support for this model for many years to come.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I thought Apple's policy was to support Macs for 5 years from day of last sale of a particular Mac model? Why is Macrumors worried about lack of software support for the M1 MacBook Air model if Walmart is still selling it?

Because we don't really know with ASi ... and stuff they are dumping through a 3rd party channel (Walmart in this case)

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Curious to know if Apple is still making these? Or was there that much old stock that they continue to try to sell them out? I know you used to be able to tell date of manufacture from the serial number, but I think they changed that.

• Wow
Reactions: G5isAlive

orangeadrenaline

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2021
I thought Apple's policy was to support Macs for 5 years from day of last sale of a particular Mac model? Why is Macrumors in this article worried about lack of software support for the M1 MacBook Air model if Walmart is still selling it?
HA. 5 years from release date perhaps.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Markwebbvt

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2021
Toronto

Starting today, select Walmart stores in the U.S. and Walmart.com will be selling the MacBook Air with the M1 chip at a bargain $649 price.

Walmart+ members have early access to the deal as of 12 p.m. Eastern Time today, and it will be available to all Walmart customers starting at 6 p.m. Eastern Time today.

Walmart first began selling the MacBook Air with the M1 chip for $699 in March, marking the first time the retailer ever sold Macs directly.

Apple first released the MacBook Air with the M1 chip in November 2020, as one of the first Macs with an Apple silicon chip instead of an Intel processor. The configuration being sold for $649 includes the M1 chip, 256GB of storage, and 8GB of RAM/unified memory, with Gold, Silver, and Space Gray color options available. Walmart's product listing says the MacBook Air is in brand new condition, so this is not a used/refurbished model.

Apple discontinued the MacBook Air with the M1 chip earlier this year, following the launch of new MacBook Air models with its latest-generation M3 chip. Prior to being discontinued, the model was being sold for $999 brand new.

While the MacBook Air with the M1 chip is over three and a half years old, it is still a very capable machine for many average day-to-day tasks. However, it has an older design and has fewer remaining years of macOS compatibility than the latest MacBook Air models, so those aspects should be factored into your purchasing decision.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Walmart, and we may receive a small payment if you click a link in this article and make a purchase.

I paid this price 4 years ago w/o a trade-in! Unreal.

orangeadrenaline

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2021
Writing this comment from an M1 Air (with 16GB of RAM) and I cannot imagine replacing this unless for fun any time in the next several years.
It’s also the second oldest MacBook Air that will be supported in the upcoming Mac OS.

Last edited:
Reactions: tooloud10

maruyama

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2024
It's a deal now. What's a better computer (battery life, speed, screen quality, trackpad quality, speaker quality, fanless [or even with a fan], etc.) that's priced similarly?
Seriously. The difference in quality (and just general quality-of-life) between a $649 Acer and an M1 MBA is going to be astronomical. I mean, forget even the build quality for a moment; just think of the crapware that's going to come preinstalled on that Acer...

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
It's a deal now. What's a better computer (battery life, speed, screen quality, trackpad quality, speaker quality, fanless [or even with a fan], etc.) that's priced similarly?
I think this is comparable-

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
HA. 5 years from release date perhaps.
Apple still supports my iMac Pro from 2017 in new macOS releases, even the upcoming Sequoia release. The iMac Pro was discontinued by Apple on March 5, 2021. I expect MacOS updates through early 2026 for my iMac Pro.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Curious to know if Apple is still making these? Or was there that much old stock that they continue to try to sell them out? I know you used to be able to tell date of manufacture from the serial number, but I think they changed that.

Even if making them still, it's almost certainly due to old stock of the parts used

No matter how you slice it ... it's old componentry (in tech terms)

Reactions: orangeadrenaline

spcopsmac21

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009

Walmart first began selling the MacBook Air with the M1 chip for $699 in March, marking the first time the retailer ever sold Macs directly. Now, it is available for an even lower $649 heading into the back-to-school shopping season. It is unclear how long the deal will last.

Apple discontinued the MacBook Air with the M1 chip earlier this year, following the launch of new MacBook Air models with the M3 chip. Prior to being discontinued, the model with the M1 chip was being sold for a starting price of $999 brand new.

While this model of the MacBook Air is now over three and a half years old, it is still a very capable machine for many average day-to-day tasks. However, it has an older design and has fewer remaining years of macOS compatibility than the latest MacBook Air models, so those aspects should be factored into your purchasing decision.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Walmart, and we may receive a small payment if you click a link in this article and proceed to make a purchase.

There are going to be firesales of 8GB Mac devices.
I called it.

The newest developer platform from Apple won’t even RUN ON 8GB of ram.

Apple has been saying 8GB is the new 16GB.

Well I can’t even begin to use the newest tools from Apple because they simply will not run on 8GB.

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
I called it.

Well I can’t even begin to use the newest tools from Apple because they simply will not run on 8GB.
Makes sense. Perhaps that is why they are discounting the M2 and M3 models now so heavily as well. Maybe Apple AI requires a better NPU and more than 8GB RAM to run smoothly, so Apple wants to encourage everybody to upgrade to M4 Mac models with more RAM.

Last edited:
Reactions: spcopsmac21

orangeadrenaline

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2021
Apple still supports my iMac Pro from 2017 in new macOS releases, even the upcoming Sequoia release. The iMac Pro was discontinued by Apple on March 5, 2021. I expect MacOS updates through early 2026 for my iMac Pro.
This MacBook Air is the oldest model to be supported in the upcoming Mac OS. FACT

Edit: not a fact as there was an early 2020 MacBook Air running intel.

Last edited:

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
This would’ve been a deal 2 years ago.
Missing the point.
When Apple Silicon came out (along with the usual endless whining about prices), many of us suggested that this would play out exactly the same way as it did with iPhones. Apple would not create cheaper models, but they would sell older models at lower prices.

And so it has come to pass...

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
This MacBook Air is the oldest model to be supported in the upcoming Mac OS. FACT
Here is the list of many older Macs going to be supported by MacOS Sequoia:

In marketing copy and technical documentation, Apple specifies that macOS Sequoia is compatible with these Macs:

Accordingly, compared to the previous version of the macOS -- macOS Sonoma (macOS 14) -- macOS Sequoia (macOS 15) only drops support entirely for these MacBook Air models released in 2018 and 2019:

This list comes from EveryMac at: https://everymac.com/mac-answers/ma...15-compatbility-list-system-requirements.html

Reactions: Slix and G5isAlive

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
I called it.

And you think the median Apple customer runs a Developer Platform? And even knows what XCode is?

Always amazes me how, apparently intelligent individuals, can still think the economic life of a Trillion$ company revolves around their particular desires and needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.