Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bktech11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2022
I'm long overdue for an upgrade and will be getting an iPhone 15 to replace old XS very soon. Carrier is Verizon. Looks like Verizon gives you a link to their Smart Setup wizard where you select your old/new phones and it gives you instructions on setup. The instructions consist of how to do data transfer from old iPhone to new iPhone. But nowhere in the instructions does it cover activating your new phone. Does activation of new phone happen automatically during/after data transfer?

Every time I've activated a new phone in the past I had to turn off the old phone, turn on the new phone and go through activation. But for the newer iPhones this is no longer necessary (turn off old phone) and now it can now transfer cellular service to the new phone as well as data? How does activation work now?

Reactions: Devyn89

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
There’s a handy splash screen that comes up during the phone set up process that allows you to transfer your physical SIM to an e-SIM (at least here in Canada, I assume it’s the same everywhere but obviously I don’t know that for sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.