Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sebastian79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
Should I upgrade to Somona or stay on Ventura?
Will my MBA be susceptible to viruses if I stay on Ventura?
Will my MBA suffer slower performance or battery drain if I upgrade to Somona?
Thanks in advance!

bradman83

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
Is the software you use on a regular basis compatible with Sonoma? (Most software packages are unless you’re using really old versions or niche specialty software).

Do you have any weird hardware setups like USB hubs with multiple external drives and other external equipment? I’m guessing not.

The upgrade from Ventura to Sonoma is largely painless, especially now that Sonoma has been out for a while and early bugs have been worked out. (Not to say there aren’t still bugs but Ventura had bugs too).

NewUsername

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2019
Should I upgrade to Somona or stay on Ventura?
Will my MBA be susceptible to viruses if I stay on Ventura?
Will my MBA suffer slower performance or battery drain if I upgrade to Somona?
Thanks in advance!
1. Upgrade to Sonoma
2. No, Ventura should receive security updates until ± September 2025
3. No

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I waited until the .5 release of Sonoma to upgrade my M1 Air. It’s been flawless so far. No complaints at all.

Reactions: Tsepz

jdoyle

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2004
My son was stuck on Big Sur on his M1 MBA and I recently upgraded him to Sonoma and it's running better than before. Very zippy.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
I just bought a used MBA M1 8/256 for a very reasonable price, to replace my 2017 MBA. I think I'll be using the latest Ventura on it, here's why; I did try Sonoma 14.3 last december when I got my M2pro mini, for a few weeks. I had some very serious issues with Appstore and System settings search not working, among other things, so I went back to Ventura.

Apart from new emojies and screensavers, there is nothing that I miss, and I'm quite convinced that I'm not more exposed to security issues just because I'm one step behind on OS versions. I've lagged more steps than that without problems before. Nothing wrong with it. Don't believe those who say 'always be sure you're up to date'. They don't call it 'the bleeding edge' for nothing.

Just my POW.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.