Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week, Apple announced the launch of its Find My network accessory program, allowing compatible third-party accessories to be tracked in the ‌Find My‌ app right alongside Apple devices. The first products that work with the Find My app will include the new Chipolo item tracker, new Belkin earbuds, and two electric bikes from VanMoof.

works-with-apple-find-my.jpg

Given that VanMoof is based in the Netherlands, Dutch website iCulture's editor-in-chief Gonny van der Zwaag was able to get some early hands-on time with the VanMoof S3 bike with Find My support. Van der Zwaag also had the opportunity to interview VanMoof's product design chief Job Stehmann about the company's collaboration with Apple.

Stehmann revealed that when Apple first announced its plans for the Find My network accessory program at WWDC 2020, a VanMoof engineer posted a message on an Apple developer forum, saying it was an interesting feature. Apple was apparently actively looking for partners to work with at the time, and the two companies soon started working together, with weekly meetings held remotely on Mondays.

VanMoof provided Apple with many prototypes of its bikes for evaluation, according to Stehmann. Given that VanMoof has an office in San Francisco, the company was able to deliver the bikes directly to Apple engineers' homes as necessary. Despite some hiccups in the development process, Stehmann said there was never too much pressure from Apple.

Stehmann said the Find My integration is purely a software feature, with no special chip inside the bike, adding that it took about nine months for Apple and VanMoof to tweak the software to be implemented properly.

All new VanMoof S3 and X3 e-bike models purchased after April 7 will be compatible with the Find My app on the iPhone, iPad, and Mac, allowing users to locate the bike on a map if it has gone missing. If you lose the bike and someone else with an ‌iPhone‌, iPad, or Mac comes close to it, the bike can communicate with their device, with the approximate location of the bike relayed securely and privately back to you.

For those interested in purchasing a VanMoof bike, Van der Zwaag has shared some detailed hands-on impressions of the S3 model at iCulture.

Article Link: VanMoof and Apple Spent Nine Months Working to Integrate E-Bikes Into Apple's Find My Ecosystem

JonnyBlaze

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2008
UK
Is this for people who have a few too many and can't find their bike or an anti-theft feature that will be defeated by smashing that plastic bit with a hammer?
Yeah theyd have to strip the bike apart to get the tracker out, probably killing the other electrics in the process. Thieves either want to strip for parts or sell on whole bikes quickly. Vanmoof uses mainly proprietary parts so no good for stripping, and this makes it harder to sell on quickly. Good extra deterrent I guess.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
9 months to get the SW right? no wonder I keep getting all these updates for all my apps every day o_O

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Is this for people who have a few too many and can't find their bike or an anti-theft feature that will be defeated by smashing that plastic bit with a hammer?

Built into the frame. Also most bike thieves don’t have clue about these features. And it already has GPS tracking along with a service where VanMoof will retrieve your bike or get you a new one if they can’t find it. Find My offers more precise location and some additional features.

Benjamin Nabulsi

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2020
I can imagine pets accessories, babies', and kids' clothes including this tracking feature. so much potential!
I wonder how this can scale if we are tracking many things

Also, VanMoof website is sick! Apple should acquire them!

• Haha
Reactions: decypher44

ifireghost

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2016
Well with Apple tech you now at least will have a chance to find back your VanMoof. I got my bike stolen two years back and VanMoof’s tracking is utterly useless. And that service they promise of finding that bike for you is largely festive marketing talk to lure you into their business. While their hardware is great, the service is under average, to say the least. Maybe you’re not dependent on them anymore for retrieving your precious bike. Time will tell.

Reactions: matrix07

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Poor Tile. Sure, I’m sure they’re think they forced Apple’s hand, but it’s becoming clear Apple had a bigger vision all along.

And now they are competing against Apple’s hardware team. Game over.

ifireghost

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2016
On one hand this would be really useful in Berlin but no one is crazy enough to use a new bike there lol gone with the wind … and tracked across the border in a day ?
Jupp. My VanMoof S2 appeared in Posnan a week after it got snitched.

Trik

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2011
Washington, DC
Yeah, I don't get how there is not a special chip inside the bike. Does that mean there's a special chip outside the bike? How the heck does this work if there's not a chip?
Yeah, as a Vanmoof S2 owner & an Apple nut... Nothing they said makes sense. If they don't want to backport to the S2 line, annoying but whatever, I get it...

But to say that all S3 bikes manufactured after a certain date? How can that not be a hardware change? Otherwise they should be able to update the firmware on previously released S3 bikes to support the new Find My functionality.

Something doesn't add up...

Reactions: MvdM

gene731

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2015
Im buying a bike soon and I plan to hide a AirTag on it, possible in the frame.
That is what we are intending to do with our cars as well when AirTags finally comes out. Hide them in discreet places in the cars or truck and that way, if ever stolen (hoping not, of course) then maybe one of the hundreds of millions iPhones out there would be able to locate it. I don’t want to opt out of this either. If I can help someone get their possessions back then it would be a win for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.