Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I bought the new M4 standard display on day 1. I had been back and forth on which display to get, but the lack of availability of the Nano Texture display made it kind of an easy decision. I upgraded from an M1 primarily for the OLED, and it was worth it. The color stands out, and it really is great to look at how much more vivid the colors in every aspect.

I’ve never been a fan of matte screen protectors because of the sharpness you lose. I have found they always added a graininess. I had looked at the Nanotexture in store and found that effect to be minimal. I was having battery issues with my iPad, after going back and forth with support, and ultimately an appointment at the Apple Store, they offered to exchange the iPad, and allowed me to upgrade to the Nano paying the difference.

The main differences that had me decide on the Nano was of course glare, the feel of the screen, less fingerprints, and I really like how it looks reading books.

On the glare, I use the iPad a lot outside. I did find myself having to position myself, or position the iPad to remove glare. This shows an immediate, obvious improvement.

On the feel of the screen, there is a less feeling of swiping on glass, you don’t feel the texture as much with the fingers as you feel the difference with the pencil. Hard to describe it, but this display adds some element that was missing with drawing and writing on standard glass with the pencil with just enough texture to FEEL like you are drawing and writing on it. If you own a kindle, that screen feel would be similar to this, and if you own a Kindle, you likely also notice you don’t see a lot of fingerprints on those displays….that is how this Nano seems to work.

And that also brings me to the reading. This display is a little easier on the eyes when reading. I don’t read ebooks in dark mode. The nano texture diffuses the light for a better reading experience which is where I do tend to see the most glare in most environments.

Definitely worth the upgrade. Side by side between the 2 iPads in store is going to be a different experience then using it in your own lighting environments outside, normal indoor room lighting, and in the dark. Definitely glad this worked out the way it did.

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
Nice review.
Glare is annoying on my M1 and I only use it under my covered veranda not direct sunlight.
It's not bright enough either even indoors have it on full watching video.
Agree on the FP and if reading is better would be good.
Would be nice not to see your face in a mirror when using it.

But the price just shy of $3KAUD, add keyboard and same price as a 14" 18/512gb MBP.
And those speakers lol

Last edited:
Reactions: DougFNJ

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
Appreciate the review. I also went from a M4 13 Pro glossy Oled to the M4 13 Pro Nano. I really enjoyed both, but like the Nano better for when outside and in bright environments. I also do a lot of reading and it is better for that too.

What was your battery life issue? I think the battery life on my glossy Oled seemed to last longer than this Nano Oled. Maybe I am just imaging things those. Tempted to buy another Nano iPad to see if I am right and this current one has an issue.

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
I think in the future I’d like to get the nano texture, but only if offered on the lower storage models. I can’t tell you how long I kept going back and forth on whether I should fork over the money for the 1TB model just for the nano texture, but ultimately decided against it.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
Nice review.
Glare is annoying on my M1 and I only use it under my covered veranda not direct sunlight.
It's not bright enough either even indoors have it on full watching video.
Agree on the FP and if reading is better would be good.
Would be nice not to see your face in a mirror when using it.

But the price just shy of $3KAUD, add keyboard and same price as a 14" 18/512gb MBP.
And those speakers lol
Yea, the price of admission is steep, but its the one time in 4 years I splurge on the iPad, and I use it a lot.
Appreciate the review. I also went from a M4 13 Pro glossy Oled to the M4 13 Pro Nano. I really enjoyed both, but like the Nano better for when outside and in bright environments. I also do a lot of reading and it is better for that too.

What was your battery life issue? I think the battery life on my glossy Oled seemed to last longer than this Nano Oled. Maybe I am just imaging things those. Tempted to buy another Nano iPad to see if I am right and this current one has an issue.
I found the battery life in standby mode getting worse and worse. First it was Find my and Siri, then HomeKit accessories, then it just showed blank usage but down 25% off a full charge overnight. Battery life when using was fine, but something was up.

I think in the future I’d like to get the nano texture, but only if offered on the lower storage models. I can’t tell you how long I kept going back and forth on whether I should fork over the money for the 1TB model just for the nano texture, but ultimately decided against it.
I store everything on my devices, all music, photos, video, and now with Final Cut Pro I plan to do a ton of video editing, the high capacity storage was already needed, the upgrade to the nano was a bonus.

Reactions: h2ofun

Nikhil72

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2005
Yea, the price of admission is steep, but its the one time in 4 years I splurge on the iPad, and I use it a lot.

I found the battery life in standby mode getting worse and worse. First it was Find my and Siri, then HomeKit accessories, then it just showed blank usage but down 25% off a full charge overnight. Battery life when using was fine, but something was up.

I store everything on my devices, all music, photos, video, and now with Final Cut Pro I plan to do a ton of video editing, the high capacity storage was already needed, the upgrade to the nano was a bonus.
For battery, did you restore from new?

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
Was your battery issue with both nano and glossy or just the glossy one and the nano is fine? I might exchange my nano, since my previous glossy oled seemed to have great battery life.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I usually do a backup and restore through my MacBook. This time I restored from an iCloud backup. I’ll have a better idea this week and will update in this post how the battery life on this one compares to the standard glossy display.

Nikhil72

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2005
Have to say a glass treatment of nano texture will have absolutely no battery life difference if using at same brightness level.
Agree. Only thing I might say is with nano texture I find I can reduce the screen brightness when reading in direct sunlight to 50% which obviously has an indirect benefit on battery (vs glossy which gets harder to read with half brightness)

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Agree. Only thing I might say is with nano texture I find I can reduce the screen brightness when reading in direct sunlight to 50% which obviously has an indirect benefit on battery (vs glossy which gets harder to read with half brightness)

I think most battery comparisons are going to be anecdotal at best unless conditions are really tightly controlled and the iPads have had a few days to make sure they have properly indexed. I find early battery usage to be complicated by a lot of background tasks. Even after things have stabilized it seems to be dependent on numerous factors including how many air tags and other find my devices you have. You explanation of a potential difference/benefit is the best I have seen but even then, not sure its worth chasing it down for a definitive answer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.