Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

corieallen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2024
Has anyone been able to update their guest OS to the 2nd beta. The option for Beta updates doesn't show in my VM. Im using UTM.
Screenshot 2024-06-25 at 11.33.39 AM.png

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
You will need to get the full installer and use that to upgrade. Because you can't sign into iCloud from the VM you can't enable beta updates.

Reactions: gilby101

corieallen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 20, 2024
You will need to get the full installer and use that to upgrade. Because you can't sign into iCloud from the VM you can't enable beta updates.
Thanks. Im hoping the iCloud log in is enabled for the 2nd beta

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Thanks. Im hoping the iCloud log in is enabled for the 2nd beta
if it is, you won't be able to start by upgrading, you'll have to make a new VM using the IPSW, running on a Mac that's also running macOS 15.

palter

Contributor
Feb 17, 2006
Boston, MA
The attached ZIP file contains a shell script that will enable beta upgrades through System Settings. (I just used it to upgrade my Sequoia VM to Beta 2.)

You may need to run this script each time you want to upgrade to a newer beta.

Attachments

• enable-beta-updates.sh.zip
    847 bytes · Views: 57

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
The attached ZIP file contains a shell script that will enable beta upgrades through System Settings. (I just used it to upgrade my Sequoia VM to Beta 2.)

Worked for me 👍 thanks!

Reactions: EBTwo

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
I wish I had known about that earlier today! I updated my beta 1 by using the full installer for beta 2. This is with VMware Fusion on Intel (2019 iMac) host.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I wish I had known about that earlier today! I updated my beta 1 by using the full installer for beta 2. This is with VMware Fusion on Intel (2019 iMac) host.
On Intel Macs you can sign in to enable the beta program just like on a physical Mac.

EBTwo

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2024

This worked for me, too on an M3 MBP! Thanks a ton! It saved me hours of work and disk space. I could simply upgrade my MacOS 15.0B1 VM under UTM to 15.0B2. Also, unless you are running a beta guest VM inside a Sequoia host (which kind of defeats the purpose of sandbox testing) you're not going to be able to log in with your Apple ID or use iCloud services.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.