Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikelets456

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 15, 2022
Bucks County, PA
Downloaded TVOS 18 as it is out on Apple TV. It’s supposed to give actor names when you pause. Not seeing that so far. Anyway, no major problems yet.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
All of apple's media needs to be updated to include that data. (and more than likely the software on their servers)

I wouldn't expect to see that until shortly before or at the official launch. Maybe with public betas.

Possibly earlier on some of their titles, and it's possible it will roll out gradually over the next few months as they update.

Etienooo

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2019
For anyone who installed the beta and has paired HomePod(s): can we finally play music on the HomePod while having something else on screen (sport game for instance) or do we still have to unpair the HomePods and break everything each time?

ps3zocker

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
There's a new option in the settings for a larger display mode, which will essentially make the Home Screen have 5 icons per row again, instead of 6.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
There's a new option in the settings for a larger display mode, which will essentially make the Home Screen have 5 icons per row again, instead of 6.
I don't think that's new... I remember switching from 5 icons/row to 6 icons/row back in tvOS 16 or 17.

UPDATE: The 6 icons/row option was added in tvOS 17

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Reactions: kerr

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
I was confused by this too... Wouldn't the Apple TV just set itself to whatever the resolution of the 21:9 display/projector is (like any other device would)? What would this setting do?
Currently tvOS can only scale to 16:9 so you what you get is this on 21:9 display.
IMG_4708.jpeg

So upon movie playback you may get something like this with a black border all the way around.
IMG_4709.png

Having a 21:9 option scales everything to fit that display ratio correctly.

errol

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
And to add to the above, people like myself that run projectors with 2:35:1 screens use lens memory to zoom in on widescreen content, but that leaves the top and bottom of the Apple TV menu cut off. This will fix that. Now if only projectors had native 2:35:1 capability without the need for an anamorphic lens!

AppleTO

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Currently tvOS can only scale to 16:9 so you what you get is this on 21:9 display.
View attachment 2388275

So upon movie playback you may get something like this with a black border all the way around.
View attachment 2388283
Ah that’s surprising. I always figured it would just determine the native resolution of the display and run at that. (As long as the hardware is capable.) Seems odd they have to specifically make a mode for each resolution.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I've been writing in requests for this since the Atv 3 came out. Glad to see they finally did it. I wonder though, if its intelligent enough to detect black bars and crop the video and THEN scale it to fit the display. ...so when you're watching a Bluray video of a classic show or movie that frames an original 4:3 source (or 2:1 or any of the other wacky formats in hollywood history) in a 16:9 Bluray video with built-in vertical letterboxing, will Atv see & chop the borders and then scale it to fit? I think when we were using Max for learning programming, I wrote about twenty lines of code that did it, so I'm surprised Apple hasn't been able to.

Reactions: PhoenixDown

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
I've been writing in requests for this since the Atv 3 came out. Glad to see they finally did it. I wonder though, if its intelligent enough to detect black bars and crop the video and THEN scale it to fit the display. ...so when you're watching a Bluray video of a classic show or movie that frames an original 4:3 source (or 2:1 or any of the other wacky formats in hollywood history) in a 16:9 Bluray video with built-in vertical letterboxing, will Atv see & chop the borders and then scale it to fit? I think when we were using Max for learning programming, I wrote about twenty lines of code that did it, so I'm surprised Apple hasn't been able to.
In most cases though black bars aren’t included in the video, it’s the TV that adds the black bars to fill the space if the video ratio differs from the screen ratio.
I’d be very surprised if you didn’t still get black bars on content that differs in ratio.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
In most cases though black bars aren’t included in the video, it’s the TV that adds the black bars to fill the space if the video ratio differs from the screen ratio.
I’d be very surprised if you didn’t still get black bars on content that differs in ratio.
Yeah a tv will add them as required, but when it comes to Bluray, every disc I have that wasnt originally shot 16:9 (or isn’t a pan & scan) has them mastered in, and the only BR rips that don‘t are ones I’ve made with better software cropping them off during the encoding. There seems to have been an effort to get all BR discs natively outputting video at 16:9, which makes sense considering hi def TV’s were already standardized to 16:9 when BR came out. Obviously i don’t want to take the hit in quality re-encoding with a crop in process, but then tracking down & re-ripping them isnt a solution either. My guess is, Apple hasnt bothered putting an auto-crop in for the same reason the Atv only plays one file type, because they really intend it to just show content from Apple’s own store.

Last edited:

mikelets456

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 15, 2022
Bucks County, PA
I'm also getting stuck on 2 minutes.
The “2 minutes” happened to me as well…I went off and did some work, came back and it was completed. It appears to show the “2 minute” screen instead of the “updating” screen. Either way it took a bit but was fine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.