Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Code discovered by MacRumors in the first beta of tvOS 17.4 suggests that Apple's work on "homeOS" is continuing behind the scenes.

homeOS2.jpg

Back in June 2021, Apple listed two job postings that mentioned homeOS, but deleted the term when it was noticed by the media. We've seen no sign of homeOS since, except for in the first tvOS 17.4 beta.

Apple's 2018 HomePod ran a modified version of iOS 11 when it launched, but Apple transitioned to using the tvOS platform for the HomePod with the release of HomePod Software 13.4. As part of its effort to develop an expanded smart home presence, Apple could eventually combine the tvOS and HomePod software in the future, potentially rebranding it as homeOS.

Apple is actively working on a new smart home display that would compete with the Echo Show, Meta Portal, and Google Nest Hub, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. The smart home display is said to have an iPad-like design and a camera for FaceTime calls, and it is likely meant to mount to the wall and serve as a central console for smart home products. The device could also feature HomePod-like speakers, and if the product sees a release, it could be part of Apple's HomePod lineup.

There have also been rumors of a next-generation version of the HomePod with a display at the top of the device, and this product could come out as early as 2024. homeOS could refer to either the iPad-like home hub in the works, or the HomePod with a display, but it is also possible that it is neither of these.

A SharePlay feature for the HomePod added in tvOS 17.4 beta 1 further hints at Apple's work on a HomePod with a screen. The update adds a QR code to the Apple Music app on the TV, which can be scanned by others to start a SharePlay session right on the device. A HomePod with a display could feature a similar function.

tvOS 17.4 is expected to see a public release in March alongside iOS 17.4, and the timing is close to when Apple sometimes holds a spring event. We've heard rumors of an iPad refresh coming in late March, so given the homeOS mention in tvOS 17.4 and a possible upcoming event, we may not have too long to wait before learning more about Apple's homeOS plans.

Article Link: tvOS 17.4 Code References Mysterious homeOS

Reactions: SFjohn

jvchappy

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2021
I truly hope Apple is working on an all-encompassing smart home platform that is less limited than HomeKit. I love my smarthome tech, but it is cumbersome and hard to manage for someone who is not technical. The smart home is truly just a farce at this time.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I think they are merely renaming awkwardly named "HomePod Software" (previously code named audioOS) to align with their naming standard, while adding some provisions for rumored 3rd generation HomePod with a screen.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
I truly hope Apple is working on an all-encompassing smart home platform that is less limited than HomeKit. I love my smarthome tech, but it is cumbersome and hard to manage for someone who is not technical. The smart home is truly just a farce at this time.

It's even a hassle for technical people. I had smart plugs, Alexa, bulbs, switches, etc. all over my house for a few years. Summer of last year I got fed up with it and ripped it all out on a weekday evening, every bit of it, and put it on eBay as a lot. Only things I have left are smart thermostats as I have six zones in my house, so it's complicated without them.

Whatever Apple does, it needs to more cross-platform. Isn't that the point of Matter?

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
I would steer clear of something that, if read just a little bit naively, results in a slur. "hOS" would have the same problem. I don't work in marketing, but maybe something referencing "lifestyle" or "things" or may be better.
I get where you’re going with that, but no.
No one is going to get those things confused.
Similar things were said about the name “iPad”, nowadays “iPad” is pretty much a catch all term for any tablet.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
I hope they make it more solid. That architecture upgrade did nothing but cause problems. Now all my new thread stuff that’s supposed to be so solid is constantly an issue…. Mainly cus of HomePods and Apple TVs being poor border routers…

Reactions: 5786735

till

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
New York or Berlin
Apple could eventually combine the tvOS and HomePod software in the future, potentially rebranding it as homeOS.
As long as iOS and iPadOS are allegedly distinct operating systems, I can't imagine they'd combine it for devices where the user interface is a TV + remote vs presumably a small touchscreen.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
Apple is actively working on a new smart home display
I am sure Apple could really iterate and make such a device stand out from Google and Amazon - but smart???
Siri is such a deal breaker. I asked her to set a timer yesterday and she started my Volvo. Outside of the deeply devout, no one wants any Smart Home powered by Siri - she can't even find shows well on the Apple TV or really do anything right.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
I am sure Apple could really iterate and make such a device stand out from Google and Amazon - but smart???
Siri is such a deal breaker. I asked her to set a timer yesterday and she started my Volvo. Outside of the deeply devout, no one wants any Smart Home power by Siri.
I hope your Volvo didn't drive away)
I think a smart home device wouldn't rely on Siri as much as you think. I have a pretty extensive Home set up and I don't remember the last time I asked Siri to do anything.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
I would steer clear of something that, if read just a little bit naively, results in a slur. "hOS" would have the same problem. I don't work in marketing, but maybe something referencing "lifestyle" or "things" or may be better.
As I imagine this is really intended to be more smart home centric and replace the home app, I find hOS appropriate since it's Siri powered....

landstreicher

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2024

Code discovered by MacRumors in the first beta of tvOS 17.4 suggests that Apple's work on "homeOS" is continuing behind the scenes.

homeOS2.jpg

Back in June 2021, Apple listed two job postings that mentioned homeOS, but deleted the term when it was noticed by the media. We've seen no sign of homeOS since, except for in the first tvOS 17.4 beta.

Apple's 2018 HomePod ran a modified version of iOS 11 when it launched, but Apple transitioned to using the tvOS platform for the HomePod with the release of HomePod Software 13.4. As part of its effort to develop an expanded smart home presence, Apple could eventually combine the tvOS and HomePod software in the future, potentially rebranding it as homeOS.

Apple is actively working on a new smart home display that would compete with the Echo Show, Meta Portal, and Google Nest Hub, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. The smart home display is said to have an iPad-like design and a camera for FaceTime calls, and it is likely meant to mount to the wall and serve as a central console for smart home products. The device could also feature HomePod-like speakers, and if the product sees a release, it could be part of Apple's HomePod lineup.

There have also been rumors of a next-generation version of the HomePod with a display at the top of the device, and this product could come out as early as 2024. homeOS could refer to either the iPad-like home hub in the works, or the HomePod with a display, but it is also possible that it is neither of these.

A SharePlay feature for the HomePod added in tvOS 17.4 beta 1 further hints at Apple's work on a HomePod with a screen. The update adds a QR code to the Apple Music app on the TV, which can be scanned by others to start a SharePlay session right on the device. A HomePod with a display could feature a similar function.

tvOS 17.4 is expected to see a public release in March alongside iOS 17.4, and the timing is close to when Apple sometimes holds a spring event. We've heard rumors of an iPad refresh coming in late March, so given the homeOS mention in tvOS 17.4 and a possible upcoming event, we may not have too long to wait before learning more about Apple's homeOS plans.

Article Link: tvOS 17.4 Code References Mysterious homeOS
A new device locked to a certain location at home seems like a tough sell to me. Our iPads are already lying around most of the time.

My bet is:
iPad Pro gets OLED, so can run as a hub with Always-on-display for a long time. It gets a much more sophisticated StandBy-Mode than the iPhone with great HomeKit quick actions. And finally on-device LLM based Siri with the ability to display responses if needed.

olavsu1

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2022
having experience with microsoft things containing the word "home", I think that "homeOS" is something even uglier than the current iOS.

TundraKing

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2021
Smarthome tech is still in its infancy. Other than the occasional video doorbell and remote light or two most homes have nothing. And like others have said its FAR too "techy" to appeal to the masses.

Apple has the right idea but it needs to be far more reliable (yes folks most installations are far from 99% stable and get worse as you add more devices). I have 100+ devices in my Homekit install and it takes at least some daily intervention/monitoring to keep them all running smoothly. (Not to mention the frequent quarterly and even monthly OS updates which cause additional issues) ....And the cost per device needs to come way down.

It's progressing on these fronts (matter, thread, etc..) but its still several years away from getting to the tipping point of mass appeal. Matter adoption is spotty, thread devices are still too buggy but with time I think these issues will get resolved.

utsava

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2004
I hope they make it more solid. That architecture upgrade did nothing but cause problems. Now all my new thread stuff that’s supposed to be so solid is constantly an issue…. Mainly cus of HomePods and Apple TVs being poor border routers…
I have similar issues. Only my Thread devices will ever become unresponsive. Disconnecting the active Homehub to force another standby device to become active will always solve the issue. It's never the actual Thread devices, it's always the homehub (Homepod or Apple TV). All non thread devices are always rock solid. Kind of ironic considering what Thread was designed to solve.

TundraKing

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2021
A new device locked to a certain location at home seems like a tough sell to me. Our iPads are already lying around most of the time.

My bet is:
iPad Pro gets OLED, so can run as a hub with Always-on-display for a long time. It gets a much more sophisticated StandBy-Mode than the iPhone with great HomeKit quick actions. And finally on-device LLM based Siri with the ability to display responses if needed.
Unfortunately iPads can no longer function as hubs in Homekit. I think the big problem with using an iPad as a display panel is its form factor. Configuring, powering and mounting an iPad as a permanent HomeKit display/control center is a kludge at best and basically a mess to deal with. The iPad form factor doesn't lend itself for that use very nicely.

I for one would love to see a dedicated Homekit stationary display/control device. I would bet it will not be cheap however. If it's much over 500-600 I would probably pass.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
As another data point, I have had no issues with HomeKit. I have Lutron switches, Eufy Cams, Ecobee Thermos and Wemo plugs. Guess where the problems have been... yup the Wemos, everything else works like a charm.
Lutron is the most rock solid platform there is with their proprietary wireless tech. problems arise in thread, Bluetooth and cheap wifi devices

Reactions: babalougots
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.